* Call For Proposal: Linux Wireless Summit(s) 2010
@ 2010-01-11 13:57 John W. Linville
From: John W. Linville @ 2010-01-11 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-wireless

Already starting to get emails, so I guess it is about that time
again... :-)

Does anyone have any legitimate proposals for Linux wireless summit
meetings for 2010?  What you propose is up to you, but I (personally)
would prefer to have something near in time and space to a larger
event.  Alternatively, a small wireless-specific event with a serious
sponsor could be nice.

In 2009 there were two meetings, one in Europe (i.e. Berlin) and one
in North America (i.e. Portland).  This actually turned-out quite
well IMHO, but I don't really want to organize two meetings again
this year myself.  OTOH, my last contact with the LinuxCon organizers
suggested that we could have space with them in the Boston area in
the Fall (September?).  So I will view that as our default option
(especially for North America).

So, anyone else want to make a proposal?

Thanks,

John
linville@tuxdriver.com			might be all we have.  Be ready.

* Re: Call For Proposal: Linux Wireless Summit(s) 2010
@ 2010-02-04 12:30 ` Johannes Berg
From: Johannes Berg @ 2010-02-04 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John W. Linville; +Cc: linux-wireless

On Mon, 2010-01-11 at 08:57 -0500, John W. Linville wrote:
> OTOH, my last contact with the LinuxCon organizers
> suggested that we could have space with them in the Boston area in
> the Fall (September?).  So I will view that as our default option
> (especially for North America).

August 10-12:
http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/linuxcon

Actually mini-summits are on August 9 according to the website.

johannes

* Re: Call For Proposal: Linux Wireless Summit(s) 2010
@ 2010-02-05 16:31   ` John W. Linville
From: John W. Linville @ 2010-02-05 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johannes Berg; +Cc: linux-wireless

On Thu, Feb 04, 2010 at 01:30:34PM +0100, Johannes Berg wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-01-11 at 08:57 -0500, John W. Linville wrote:
> > OTOH, my last contact with the LinuxCon organizers
> > suggested that we could have space with them in the Boston area in
> > the Fall (September?).  So I will view that as our default option
> > (especially for North America).
>
> August 10-12:
> http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/linuxcon
>
> Actually mini-summits are on August 9 according to the website.

We can have August 8 as well if we want it.  I asked for 2 days since
that is what we have done in the past.  Or we can just use the 9th
if we want to restrict ourselves to one day...?

So anyway, as of now having a wireless mini-summit just prior to
LinuxCon is the plan of record.  There is a requirement for attendees
to also register for LinuxCon -- I hope that isn't a problem.
I suspect that registration will be cheap/free for those accepted as
LinuxCon presenters. :-)

John
linville@tuxdriver.com			might be all we have.  Be ready.

* Linux Wireless Summit -- Boston 2010
@ 2010-02-22 21:20 ` John W. Linville
From: John W. Linville @ 2010-02-22 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-wireless

This year we'll hold the Linux Wireless Summit on the two days before
LinuxCon in Boston (that's Sunday and Monday) at the Renaissance Hotel:

http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/linuxcon

A page has been dedicated to this event on the Linux Wireless wiki:

http://wireless.kernel.org/en/developers/Summits/Boston-2010

Those interested in attending the event should add their names to
the Attendees list on that page.  Feel free to extend the Proposed
Topics list.  The mailing list is open for further discussion as well,
of course.

Attendees will be required to register for LinuxCon 2010.  Some links
to more information are avaliable at the URLs above.  FWIW, I strongly
encourage attendees to submit proposals to speak at LinuxCon.

Questions?

Thanks,

John
linville@tuxdriver.com			might be all we have.  Be ready.

* Re: Linux Wireless Summit -- Boston 2010
@ 2010-02-22 21:57   ` Pavel Roskin
From: Pavel Roskin @ 2010-02-22 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John W. Linville; +Cc: linux-wireless

On Mon, 2010-02-22 at 16:20 -0500, John W. Linville wrote:

> Attendees will be required to register for LinuxCon 2010.

Why is it required?  I could take one day off for the wireless summit,
but taking three or four days would be too much.

Pavel Roskin

* Re: Linux Wireless Summit -- Boston 2010
@ 2010-02-22 22:35     ` John W. Linville
From: John W. Linville @ 2010-02-22 22:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pavel Roskin; +Cc: linux-wireless

On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 04:57:28PM -0500, Pavel Roskin wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-02-22 at 16:20 -0500, John W. Linville wrote:
>
> > Attendees will be required to register for LinuxCon 2010.
>
> Why is it required?  I could take one day off for the wireless summit,
> but taking three or four days would be too much.

Sorry, but they are the ones paying for the room.  If this is really
a hardship and you are serious about coming then contact me privately
and perhaps we can make some special arrangements.

Thanks,

John
--
John W. Linville                Someday the world will need a hero, and you
linville@tuxdriver.com                  might be all we have.  Be ready.

* Cancelled/postponed -- Re: Linux Wireless Summit -- Boston 2010
@ 2010-03-30 19:15   ` John W. Linville
From: John W. Linville @ 2010-03-30 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-wireless

All,

Since peer-to-peer is a major discussion driver for our next
wireless mini-summit and since the specification for that won't be
publicly released in time for LinuxCon, we are cancelling our planned
LinuxCon-hosted event.  I apologize for any inconvenience this causes
for any individuals.

We are hoping to organize a replacement even for later in the year,
probably still in the Boston area.  If/when we arrange such an event,
I will announce it here.

Thanks for your understanding!

John