* Unsupported PHY on B43
@ 2009-08-02  9:14 Luis Correia
From: Luis Correia @ 2009-08-02  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Buesch, linux-wireless

Hi all,

first of all, if linux-wireless isn't the correct list for this, then
please point me into the right direction.

I got a new laptop from my employer which includes a b43 wireless
card, that isn't working with current git kernel (actually it is the
rt2x00 branch from Ivo).

Here are the messages I get from 'dmesg'.

b43-phy1: Broadcom 4322 WLAN found (core revision 16)
b43-phy1 ERROR: FOUND UNSUPPORTED PHY (Analog 8, Type 4, Revision 4)
b43: probe of ssb0:0 failed with error -95
Broadcom 43xx driver loaded [ Features: PML, Firmware-ID: FW13 ]

I'm available to test drivers, patches, git kernels, the whole lot.

(I'm going to use this laptop to work on rt2x00, although the
available antennas aren't quite compatible, as they are for 3G module)

Luis Correia
rt2x00 project admin

* Re: Unsupported PHY on B43
@ 2009-08-02  9:18 ` Johannes Berg
From: Johannes Berg @ 2009-08-02  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis Correia; +Cc: Michael Buesch, linux-wireless

On Sun, 2009-08-02 at 10:14 +0100, Luis Correia wrote:

> b43-phy1: Broadcom 4322 WLAN found (core revision 16)
> b43-phy1 ERROR: FOUND UNSUPPORTED PHY (Analog 8, Type 4, Revision 4)
> b43: probe of ssb0:0 failed with error -95
> Broadcom 43xx driver loaded [ Features: PML, Firmware-ID: FW13 ]

This is an 11n phy.

> I'm available to test drivers, patches, git kernels, the whole lot.

There's nothing available beyond what you have.

johannes

* Re: Unsupported PHY on B43
@ 2009-08-02  9:26   ` Luis Correia
From: Luis Correia @ 2009-08-02  9:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johannes Berg; +Cc: Michael Buesch, linux-wireless

Hi Johannes

On Sun, Aug 2, 2009 at 10:18, Johannes Berg<johannes@sipsolutions.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-08-02 at 10:14 +0100, Luis Correia wrote:
>
>> b43-phy1: Broadcom 4322 WLAN found (core revision 16)
>> b43-phy1 ERROR: FOUND UNSUPPORTED PHY (Analog 8, Type 4, Revision 4)
>> b43: probe of ssb0:0 failed with error -95
>> Broadcom 43xx driver loaded [ Features: PML, Firmware-ID: FW13 ]
>
> This is an 11n phy.

Great, an 11n device with only two antennas (they are usually three).

>> I'm available to test drivers, patches, git kernels, the whole lot.
>
> There's nothing available beyond what you have.

Bummer, I guess I'll have to wait then.

> johannes

Thanks for the info.

Luis Correia
rt2x00 project admin

* Re: Unsupported PHY on B43
@ 2009-08-02  9:33     ` Johannes Berg
From: Johannes Berg @ 2009-08-02  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis Correia; +Cc: Michael Buesch, linux-wireless

On Sun, 2009-08-02 at 10:26 +0100, Luis Correia wrote:

> > This is an 11n phy.
>
> Great, an 11n device with only two antennas (they are usually three).

Oh, it depends on the configuration -- maybe they used a cheaper device
with fewer chains.

> >> I'm available to test drivers, patches, git kernels, the whole lot.
> >
> > There's nothing available beyond what you have.
>
> Bummer, I guess I'll have to wait then.

Don't hold your breath -- nobody's working on it. I also really want it
working, but since nobody seems even interested in writing the driver,
we've halted the reverse engineering effort.

johannes

* Re: Unsupported PHY on B43
@ 2009-08-02  9:37       ` Luis Correia
From: Luis Correia @ 2009-08-02  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johannes Berg; +Cc: Michael Buesch, linux-wireless

On Sun, Aug 2, 2009 at 10:33, Johannes Berg<johannes@sipsolutions.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-08-02 at 10:26 +0100, Luis Correia wrote:
>
>> > This is an 11n phy.
>>
>> Great, an 11n device with only two antennas (they are usually three).
>
> Oh, it depends on the configuration -- maybe they used a cheaper device
> with fewer chains.

yes, it even is a half-height minipci-express card, the first one I've
seen so far.

>> > There's nothing available beyond what you have.
>>
>> Bummer, I guess I'll have to wait then.
>
> Don't hold your breath -- nobody's working on it. I also really want it
> working, but since nobody seems even interested in writing the driver,
> we've halted the reverse engineering effort.

11n is doomed on Linux :(

> johannes

Luis Correia

* Re: Unsupported PHY on B43
@ 2009-08-02 14:20       ` Larry Finger
From: Larry Finger @ 2009-08-02 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johannes Berg; +Cc: Luis Correia, Michael Buesch, linux-wireless

Johannes Berg wrote:

> Don't hold your breath -- nobody's working on it. I also really want it
> working, but since nobody seems even interested in writing the driver,
> we've halted the reverse engineering effort.

I have a vested interest in getting the LP PHY (type 5) code done as I
have one of those devices. As a result, I'm deliberately not working
on the RE for the 11n PHYs until the LP PHY code is working. If that
was not clear enough, then let me restate it: "If you want code for
Broadcom devices with ID 4322 and higher, you are going to have to do
the LP code first."

Larry

* Re: Unsupported PHY on B43
@ 2009-08-03 15:05         ` Luis R. Rodriguez
From: Luis R. Rodriguez @ 2009-08-03 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis Correia; +Cc: Johannes Berg, Michael Buesch, linux-wireless

On Sun, Aug 2, 2009 at 2:37 AM, Luis Correia<luis.f.correia@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Great, an 11n device with only two antennas (they are usually three).
>>
>> Oh, it depends on the configuration -- maybe they used a cheaper device
>> with fewer chains.
>
> yes, it even is a half-height minipci-express card, the first one I've
> seen so far.

11n does not require three antennas. It really depends on the number
of streams you have and the chain configuration. As a matter of fact
you can use 11n with 1 stream and only use the lower MCS rates.

>>> Bummer, I guess I'll have to wait then.
>>
>> Don't hold your breath -- nobody's working on it. I also really want it
>> working, but since nobody seems even interested in writing the driver,
>> we've halted the reverse engineering effort.
>
> 11n is doomed on Linux :(

No its not.

  Luis