* timeout in zd1211rw with zotac mini-itx (geforce 9300)
@ 2010-04-16 20:34 Tsuwei Chen
From: Tsuwei Chen @ 2010-04-16 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zd1211-devs; +Cc: linux-wireless

Has anyone use the zd1211 usb adapter with mini-itx board based on
geforce 9300? I have been experience some annoying issues ever since I
got this motherboard. The problem is that sometime the card just
cannot be switched on. It complains about ioread32() error -110. And I
have spent a few days and try a few different combination, and here is
what I have found so far:

1, with 1 wifi adapter directly plugged into the board, the wifi
adapter works fine most of the time (have seen a couple failure, but
is hard to reproduce)
2. with 1 wifi adapter, plugged in through a USB hub, the driver
complains ioread32 error. I've try 2 USB hubs: a cheap 4-port USB
dongle and also the USB hubs built into my DELL monitor. Both showed
the same problem.
3. If I plugged in 2 wifi adapters directly to the board, more than
50% of chance one of the wifi adapter would fail during the 'ifconifg
up'.

I tried to dig our more on this. I am using kernel 2.6.24-26 (ubuntu).
I had turned on the debug message output and I have traced out that
the failure was first detected in the zd_mac_open(). Probably around
the call to zd_chip_switch_radio_on(). The error message is printed in
the zd_usb_ioread16v(), and probably indicate the driver is
experiencing a timeout while it is trying to read the register from
the adapter.

What exactly does this mean? Why adding a usb hub cause such a huge
differnce? Has anyone experienced similar problem before? Any pointer
that can help me solve this problem is appreciated.

BTW, I never had this problem before when I was still using a regular
HP desktop PC, even with the same version of kernel and same USB hub.
I switched to mini-itx because I am building a small system. So if
anyone is currently using this adapter with a mini-ITX board, please
also let me know which model you use.

TIA,
Tsuwei