* timeout in zd1211rw with zotac mini-itx (geforce 9300)
@ 2010-04-16 20:34 Tsuwei Chen
From: Tsuwei Chen @ 2010-04-16 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zd1211-devs; +Cc: linux-wireless

Has anyone use the zd1211 usb adapter with mini-itx board based on
geforce 9300? I have been experience some annoying issues ever since I
got this motherboard. The problem is that sometime the card just
cannot be switched on. It complains about ioread32() error -110. And I
have spent a few days and try a few different combination, and here is
what I have found so far:

1, with 1 wifi adapter directly plugged into the board, the wifi
adapter works fine most of the time (have seen a couple failure, but
is hard to reproduce)
2. with 1 wifi adapter, plugged in through a USB hub, the driver
complains ioread32 error. I've try 2 USB hubs: a cheap 4-port USB
dongle and also the USB hubs built into my DELL monitor. Both showed
the same problem.
3. If I plugged in 2 wifi adapters directly to the board, more than
50% of chance one of the wifi adapter would fail during the 'ifconifg
up'.

I tried to dig our more on this. I am using kernel 2.6.24-26 (ubuntu).
I had turned on the debug message output and I have traced out that
the failure was first detected in the zd_mac_open(). Probably around
the call to zd_chip_switch_radio_on(). The error message is printed in
the zd_usb_ioread16v(), and probably indicate the driver is
experiencing a timeout while it is trying to read the register from
the adapter.

What exactly does this mean? Why adding a usb hub cause such a huge
differnce? Has anyone experienced similar problem before? Any pointer
that can help me solve this problem is appreciated.

BTW, I never had this problem before when I was still using a regular
HP desktop PC, even with the same version of kernel and same USB hub.
I switched to mini-itx because I am building a small system. So if
anyone is currently using this adapter with a mini-ITX board, please
also let me know which model you use.

TIA,
Tsuwei

* Re: timeout in zd1211rw with zotac mini-itx (geforce 9300)
@ 2010-04-16 20:51 ` Gábor Stefanik
From: Gábor Stefanik @ 2010-04-16 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tsuwei Chen; +Cc: zd1211-devs, linux-wireless

On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 10:34 PM, Tsuwei Chen <tsuwei@gmail.com> wrote:
> Has anyone use the zd1211 usb adapter with mini-itx board based on
> geforce 9300? I have been experience some annoying issues ever since I
> got this motherboard. The problem is that sometime the card just
> cannot be switched on. It complains about ioread32() error -110. And I
> have spent a few days and try a few different combination, and here is
> what I have found so far:
>
> 1, with 1 wifi adapter directly plugged into the board, the wifi
> adapter works fine most of the time (have seen a couple failure, but
> is hard to reproduce)
> 2. with 1 wifi adapter, plugged in through a USB hub, the driver
> complains ioread32 error. I've try 2 USB hubs: a cheap 4-port USB
> dongle and also the USB hubs built into my DELL monitor. Both showed
> the same problem.
> 3. If I plugged in 2 wifi adapters directly to the board, more than
> 50% of chance one of the wifi adapter would fail during the 'ifconifg
> up'.
>
> I tried to dig our more on this. I am using kernel 2.6.24-26 (ubuntu).

Please try a more recent kernel - 2.6.24 contains
zd1211rw-ieee80211softmac, which is no longer developed.

> I had turned on the debug message output and I have traced out that
> the failure was first detected in the zd_mac_open(). Probably around
> the call to zd_chip_switch_radio_on(). The error message is printed in
> the zd_usb_ioread16v(), and probably indicate the driver is
> experiencing a timeout while it is trying to read the register from
> the adapter.
>
> What exactly does this mean? Why adding a usb hub cause such a huge
> differnce? Has anyone experienced similar problem before? Any pointer
> that can help me solve this problem is appreciated.
>
> BTW, I never had this problem before when I was still using a regular
> HP desktop PC, even with the same version of kernel and same USB hub.
> I switched to mini-itx because I am building a small system. So if
> anyone is currently using this adapter with a mini-ITX board, please
> also let me know which model you use.
>
> TIA,
> Tsuwei

Vista: [V]iruses, [I]ntruders, [S]pyware, [T]rojans and [A]dware. :-)

* Re: [zd1211-devs] timeout in zd1211rw with zotac mini-itx (geforce 9300)
@ 2010-04-16 22:26 ` Hin-Tak Leung
From: Hin-Tak Leung @ 2010-04-16 22:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zd1211-devs, Tsuwei Chen; +Cc: linux-wireless

I suspect it is just poor hardware. The more power-drawing devices you have got, the current/power available to each can drop, and some devices are more sensitive to drop in voltage than others. That seems to be the obvious conclusion - the more bus-powered devices plugged in, the more likely the wireless device fails to initialise.

You probably would find that you will need a independently-powered hub (i.e. a USB hub which has its own power-plug that you need to plug into the mains) for it to work reliably, since your motherboard doesn't seem to be able to do it.

@ 2010-04-16 22:38   ` Tsuwei Chen
From: Tsuwei Chen @ 2010-04-16 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hin-Tak Leung; +Cc: zd1211-devs, linux-wireless

Gábor and Hin-Tak,

Thanks for the quick reply. I thought about the current draw on the
USB bus so I did try using the hub that is built into my dell monitor
and had the same problem.

I am going to try out the 2.6.32 today. I would report back the result
once I got it.

Also, some time I notice there is an 'address leak' with da_user=1.
This happens when I unplugged the adapter. The systems seems still
holding up well. Just wonder if this would be a concern.

Thanks,
Tsuwei