linux-wpan.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* MAC Layer Beacon / Scan Code
@ 2020-08-27 16:59 Christopher Friedt
From: Christopher Friedt @ 2020-08-27 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-wpan; +Cc: Stefan Schmidt, Michael Magyar

Hi everyone,

I thought it was lost after I moved on to a different employer, but my
former colleague Michael Magyar managed to dig up some work that we
had done back in 2015.

I unfortunately do not know if my branch still exists, but it looks
like his copy of it is still intact.

https://github.com/magyarm/bluetooth-next/tree/feature/nl802154-get-active-scan-req
https://github.com/magyarm/bluetooth-next/tree/feature/nl802154-beacon

We had some additional changes for wpan-tools. Hopefully we can find
those as well.

These changes should allow us to create something along the lines of
Network Manager for IEEE 802.15.4 or even to do some automated channel
joining, etc.

Let's keep this thread open and try to rebase patches & get some
patches posted for review soon.

Cheers,

* Re: MAC Layer Beacon / Scan Code
@ 2020-08-28 14:26 ` Nicolas Schodet
From: Nicolas Schodet @ 2020-08-28 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Friedt; +Cc: linux-wpan, Stefan Schmidt, Michael Magyar

* Christopher Friedt <chrisfriedt@gmail.com> [2020-08-27 12:59]:
> Hi everyone,
> I thought it was lost after I moved on to a different employer, but my
> former colleague Michael Magyar managed to dig up some work that we
> had done back in 2015.
> I unfortunately do not know if my branch still exists, but it looks
> like his copy of it is still intact.
> https://github.com/magyarm/bluetooth-next/tree/feature/nl802154-get-active-scan-req
> https://github.com/magyarm/bluetooth-next/tree/feature/nl802154-beacon
> We had some additional changes for wpan-tools. Hopefully we can find
> those as well.
> These changes should allow us to create something along the lines of
> Network Manager for IEEE 802.15.4 or even to do some automated channel
> joining, etc.
> Let's keep this thread open and try to rebase patches & get some
> patches posted for review soon.
> Cheers,

Hello,

We are working too on the same kind of features, I am “ni” on
#linux-wpan. For the moment, we have a quite advanced branch for
scanning (active and passive) which tries to mirror what is done in the
802.11 stack, written by David, and another branch for joining a PAN
by Thierry.

I would be interrested to see a rebase to better understand what you
have done.

I asked David to prepare a branch to share so we can see how to move
forward.

Nicolas.

* Re: MAC Layer Beacon / Scan Code
@ 2020-08-28 14:36   ` Christopher Friedt
       [not found]     ` <CANrQGhud-8RL_im99VpuR6ctVTvs32AXSAcMSz+Wyu2ay3Qp1Q@mail.gmail.com>
From: Christopher Friedt @ 2020-08-28 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Schodet; +Cc: linux-wpan, Stefan Schmidt, Michael Magyar

Hi Nicolas,

On Fri, Aug 28, 2020 at 10:26 AM Nicolas Schodet <nico@ni.fr.eu.org> wrote:
> We are working too on the same kind of features, I am “ni” on
> #linux-wpan. For the moment, we have a quite advanced branch for
> scanning (active and passive) which tries to mirror what is done in the
> 802.11 stack, written by David, and another branch for joining a PAN
> by Thierry.

Very good to know that this is a feature that is of interest to the
greater community.

> I would be interrested to see a rebase to better understand what you
> have done.

Should be available soon - possibly a week or 2. Need to set aside some time.

> I asked David to prepare a branch to share so we can see how to move
> forward.

Thank you!

It's quite possible that we have duplicated work, but such is life.
Let's get these features in soon!

@ 2020-08-28 15:05       ` Nicolas Schodet
From: Nicolas Schodet @ 2020-08-28 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Magyar; +Cc: Christopher Friedt, linux-wpan, Stefan Schmidt

Hi,

* Michael Magyar <michael.magyarm@gmail.com> [2020-08-28 11:01]:
> Hello,
> I have found the related wpan-tools branches:
> https://github.com/magyarm/wpan-tools/tree/feature/add-active-scan-request
> https://github.com/magyarm/wpan-tools/tree/feature/add-beacon-notification-command
> https://github.com/magyarm/wpan-tools/tree/feature/association-req
> I'll take a look and refresh my memory on where the code bases were left. I
> think a couple of weeks to clean up the Kernel and wpan-tools branches is
> doable. From there, I hope it'll be useful. If not, I'd be happy to try to
> help where I can.

Thanks! We will also need a week or two to rebase, cleanup and cope with
the other parallel urgent tasks :)

Nicolas.