* Best gigabit card for linux
@ 2001-09-18  2:59 Abe Hayhurst
From: Abe Hayhurst @ 2001-09-18  2:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi Alan,

I wanted to know your opinion as to which combination of gigabit cards (both
fiber and copper) and drivers would yield the best performance (mostly
transferring large files from server to client, but also latency) in Linux.
I am not a programmer, a kernel tweaker, or a driver developer. I need a
card that either has a driver that comes with Red Hat Linux 7.1 or is easy
to install and needs minimal tweaks to the driver. I am currently
considering cards from 3Com (Alteon), Broadcom, Intel, and SysKonnect.

Thanks for your help,

Abe Hayhurst

* Re: Best gigabit card for linux
@ 2001-09-22  4:36 ` Colin Frank
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Colin Frank @ 2001-09-22  4:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Abe Hayhurst; +Cc: linux-kernel

In the following test. I was able to achieve close to 40 MegaBytes
per second using the packet engines Hamachi driver.

http://www.linuxcare.com/labs/sol-val/3w-esc6800-web.epl
Test done with:
    Packet engines Hamachi card
    3ware escalade 6800
    2.2.16 kernel.
    Cisco 6500
    10 - 20 client machines each with eepro100 cards

Colin...

@ 2001-09-22  6:44   ` Ben Greear
From: Ben Greear @ 2001-09-22  6:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Colin Frank; +Cc: Abe Hayhurst, linux-kernel

Colin Frank wrote:

> In the following test. I was able to achieve close to 40 MegaBytes
> per second using the packet engines Hamachi driver.
>
> http://www.linuxcare.com/labs/sol-val/3w-esc6800-web.epl
> Test done with:
>     Packet engines Hamachi card
>     3ware escalade 6800
>     2.2.16 kernel.
>     Cisco 6500
>     10 - 20 client machines each with eepro100 cards
>
> Colin...

I've had good luck with the Netgear GA620, and it's very cheap
too...  I was testing on the 2.4.3 kernel and RH 7.0.  It worked
w/out problem.

It's a fiber NIC.

--
Ben Greear <greearb@candelatech.com>          <Ben_Greear@excite.com>

* Re: Best gigabit card for linux
@ 2001-09-22 20:39   ` Todd
From: Todd @ 2001-09-22 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Colin Frank; +Cc: Abe Hayhurst, linux-kernel

colin,

40 MBytes per second?  that's not really very good for a gigabit card.
(32% of line speed).  our experience with the 2.4 kernel (pre-zerocopy)
has been that we can get 99.3% (around 125 MBytes/sec) before cpu
utilization gets to 100%.  this was using acenic's (now 3com but 3com
appears to not be selling them.  sigh.).

todd underwood
todd@unm.edu

On Fri, 21 Sep 2001, Colin Frank wrote:

> Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 21:36:10 -0700
> From: Colin Frank <kernel@osafo.com>
> To: Abe Hayhurst <abe@avidsublimation.net>
> Cc: linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
> Subject: Re: Best gigabit card for linux
>

> In the following test. I was able to achieve close to 40 MegaBytes
> per second using the packet engines Hamachi driver.
>
> http://www.linuxcare.com/labs/sol-val/3w-esc6800-web.epl
> Test done with:
>     Packet engines Hamachi card
>     3ware escalade 6800
>     2.2.16 kernel.
>     Cisco 6500
>     10 - 20 client machines each with eepro100 cards
>
> Colin...
>
> Abe Hayhurst wrote:
>
> >Hi Alan,
> >
> >I wanted to know your opinion as to which combination of gigabit cards (both
> >fiber and copper) and drivers would yield the best performance (mostly
> >transferring large files from server to client, but also latency) in Linux.
> >I am not a programmer, a kernel tweaker, or a driver developer. I need a
> >card that either has a driver that comes with Red Hat Linux 7.1 or is easy
> >to install and needs minimal tweaks to the driver. I am currently
> >considering cards from 3Com (Alteon), Broadcom, Intel, and SysKonnect.
> >
> >Thanks for your help,
> >
> >Abe Hayhurst
> >
> >-
> >To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
> >the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org
> >More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
> >Please read the FAQ at  http://www.tux.org/lkml/
> >

> -

Todd Underwood, todd@unm.edu

* Re: Best gigabit card for linux
@ 2001-10-03  2:26   ` Seth Goldberg
From: Seth Goldberg @ 2001-10-03  2:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Colin Frank; +Cc: Abe Hayhurst, linux-kernel

Hi,

   I ordered 2 NSC-based giga ethernet cards (copper) and I was able to
get 54.4 Megabytes/s sustained (between an amd athlon 1200 MHz and an
athlon 1000 MHz) on kernel v2.4.5.

  Since these card cost $45 each, i HIGHLY recommend them.  The actualy
manufacturer is a company called Cameo in Taiwan.

 --Seth

@ 2001-10-03  4:01     ` D. Stimits
From: D. Stimits @ 2001-10-03  4:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: linux-kernel

Seth Goldberg wrote:

> Hi,
>
>    I ordered 2 NSC-based giga ethernet cards (copper) and I was able to
> get 54.4 Megabytes/s sustained (between an amd athlon 1200 MHz and an
> athlon 1000 MHz) on kernel v2.4.5.
>
>   Since these card cost $45 each, i HIGHLY recommend them.  The actualy
> manufacturer is a company called Cameo in Taiwan.

Are those available in 64 bit pci slot format? I assume for that price
they run in 32 bit slots (which is no doubt a bottleneck on a real
gigabit).

D. Stimits, stimits@idcomm.com

@ 2001-10-03  4:21       ` Dan Hollis
From: Dan Hollis @ 2001-10-03  4:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: D. Stimits; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Tue, 2 Oct 2001, D. Stimits wrote:
> Are those available in 64 bit pci slot format?

Yep

http://www.dlink.com/products/gigabit/dge550t/

> I assume for that price they run in 32 bit slots (which is no doubt a
> bottleneck on a real gigabit).

$85 for 64bit pci gigglebit ethernet nic isnt bad...

http://www.goroyalpc.com/no_config_product.asp?m_cat=s_network&cat=networkcard&action=show&id=140_networkcard

-Dan
--
[-] Omae no subete no kichi wa ore no mono da. [-]