* Re: 3c509: broken(verified)
@ 2001-08-06 23:00 Dieter Nützel
From: Dieter Nützel @ 2001-08-06 23:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux Kernel List; +Cc: Alan Cox

On Monday 06 August 2001 22:30:12, Nicholas Knight wrote:
> You mention the problem is being unable to change the media, I was
> unaware this was even possible with the current 3c509 driver, and most
> people do it on 3c509's and other PNP cards of this sort (such as NE2000
> clones)  by using a DOS boot diskette and the DOS utilities provided by
> the manufacturer.

That's what I did. I've set it to "auto mode" and it works with RJ45 cable.
But I can't verify if "full duplex" worked right. So I changed it under Win
to "10baseT" for which the 3Com utilities say "full duplex" enabled.

Now I get this for my ADSL NIC.
My first NIC (Ethernet Pro 100+) is for the LAN.

eth1: 3c5x9 at 0x220, 10baseT port, address  00 a0 24 87 4a a6, IRQ 5.
3c509.c:1.18 12Mar2001 becker@scyld.com
http://www.scyld.com/network/3c509.html
eth1: Setting Rx mode to 1 addresses.
eth1: Setting Rx mode to 2 addresses.
eth1: Setting Rx mode to 3 addresses.

But I am not smarter 'cause there is no full duplex mode mentioned in the
logs.

Thanks,
	Dieter

BTW Is DMA (channel 6 for example) possible with this hardware/driver?

* Re: 3c509: broken(verified)
@ 2001-08-06 23:11 ` Riley Williams
From: Riley Williams @ 2001-08-06 23:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dieter Nützel; +Cc: Linux Kernel List, Alan Cox

Hi Dieter.

 >> You mention the problem is being unable to change the media, I
 >> was unaware this was even possible with the current 3c509
 >> driver, and most people do it on 3c509's and other PNP cards of
 >> this sort (such as NE2000 clones)  by using a DOS boot diskette
 >> and the DOS utilities provided by the manufacturer.

 > That's what I did. I've set it to "auto mode" and it works with
 > RJ45 cable. But I can't verify if "full duplex" worked right.

What transfer speed do you get doing an FTP transfer across the link?
10base is theoretically capable of one meg per second, and experience
indicates that a 10baseT link normally shows just under 500k per
second flat out, presumably due to the half duplex nature of the
10baseT protocol. I'd expect 10base2 half duplex to be similar, and
10base2 full duplex to be somewhat faster.

 > So I changed it under Win to "10baseT" for which the 3Com
 > utilities say "full duplex" enabled.

One slight problem - 10baseT uses CoAxial cable, not RJ45 - and, as
far as I'm aware, 10baseT is strictly half duplex whereas 10base2
(which uses RJ45 twisted pair cable) is capable of either half or full
duplex.

 > Now I get this for my ADSL NIC.
 > My first NIC (Ethernet Pro 100+) is for the LAN.

 > eth1: 3c5x9 at 0x220, 10baseT port, address  00 a0 24 87 4a a6, IRQ 5.
 > 3c509.c:1.18 12Mar2001 becker@scyld.com
 > http://www.scyld.com/network/3c509.html
 > eth1: Setting Rx mode to 1 addresses.
 > eth1: Setting Rx mode to 2 addresses.
 > eth1: Setting Rx mode to 3 addresses.

 > But I am not smarter 'cause there is no full duplex mode
 > mentioned in the logs.

I have to admit that doesn't surprise me.

 > BTW Is DMA (channel 6 for example) possible with this hardware/driver?

I can't help there, sorry.

Best wishes from Riley.

* Re: 3c509: broken(verified)
@ 2001-08-06 23:15 ` Nicholas Knight
From: Nicholas Knight @ 2001-08-06 23:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dieter Nützel, Linux Kernel List; +Cc: Alan Cox

On Monday 06 August 2001 04:00 pm, Dieter Nützel wrote:
> On Monday 06 August 2001 22:30:12, Nicholas Knight wrote:
> > You mention the problem is being unable to change the media, I was
> > unaware this was even possible with the current 3c509 driver, and
> > most people do it on 3c509's and other PNP cards of this sort (such
> > as NE2000 clones)  by using a DOS boot diskette and the DOS utilities
> > provided by the manufacturer.
>
> That's what I did. I've set it to "auto mode" and it works with RJ45
> cable. But I can't verify if "full duplex" worked right. So I changed
> it under Win to "10baseT" for which the 3Com utilities say "full
> duplex" enabled.

Why do you want full duplex on a DSL connection? I tend to set any NIC's
I use for a consumer connection to the lower end of their settings to
avoid possible problems in any OS.

> Now I get this for my ADSL NIC.
> My first NIC (Ethernet Pro 100+) is for the LAN.
>
> eth1: 3c5x9 at 0x220, 10baseT port, address  00 a0 24 87 4a a6, IRQ 5.
> 3c509.c:1.18 12Mar2001 becker@scyld.com
> http://www.scyld.com/network/3c509.html
> eth1: Setting Rx mode to 1 addresses.
> eth1: Setting Rx mode to 2 addresses.
> eth1: Setting Rx mode to 3 addresses.

sorry, did forget to mention that
this popped up when I compiled the driver in instead of using a module,
but it doesn't appear to be a problem, I have no idea what's going on
with it though.

> But I am not smarter 'cause there is no full duplex mode mentioned in
> the logs.

does it get mentioned in the logs for your other NIC?

> Thanks,
> 	Dieter
>
> BTW Is DMA (channel 6 for example) possible with this hardware/driver?

the hardware is capable of it I belive, I do not know about the driver.

* Re: 3c509: broken(verified)
@ 2001-08-07  1:00   ` Dieter Nützel
From: Dieter Nützel @ 2001-08-07  1:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicholas Knight; +Cc: Linux Kernel List

Am Dienstag, 7. August 2001 01:15 schrieb Nicholas Knight:
> On Monday 06 August 2001 04:00 pm, Dieter Nützel wrote:
> > On Monday 06 August 2001 22:30:12, Nicholas Knight wrote:
> > > You mention the problem is being unable to change the media, I was
> > > unaware this was even possible with the current 3c509 driver, and
> > > most people do it on 3c509's and other PNP cards of this sort (such
> > > as NE2000 clones)  by using a DOS boot diskette and the DOS utilities
> > > provided by the manufacturer.
> >
> > That's what I did. I've set it to "auto mode" and it works with RJ45
> > cable. But I can't verify if "full duplex" worked right. So I changed
> > it under Win to "10baseT" for which the 3Com utilities say "full
> > duplex" enabled.
>
> Why do you want full duplex on a DSL connection? I tend to set any NIC's
> I use for a consumer connection to the lower end of their settings to
> avoid possible problems in any OS.

That's not a bad decision...;-)
But I hoped to get most out of the DSL box.

> > Now I get this for my ADSL NIC.
> > My first NIC (Ethernet Pro 100+) is for the LAN.
> >
> > eth1: 3c5x9 at 0x220, 10baseT port, address  00 a0 24 87 4a a6, IRQ 5.
> > 3c509.c:1.18 12Mar2001 becker@scyld.com
> > http://www.scyld.com/network/3c509.html
> > eth1: Setting Rx mode to 1 addresses.
> > eth1: Setting Rx mode to 2 addresses.
> > eth1: Setting Rx mode to 3 addresses.
>
> sorry, did forget to mention that
> this popped up when I compiled the driver in instead of using a module,
> but it doesn't appear to be a problem, I have no idea what's going on
> with it though.

It is compiled as a module.

> > But I am not smarter 'cause there is no full duplex mode mentioned in
> > the logs.
>
> does it get mentioned in the logs for your other NIC?

Not that I remember.
Donald Becker's tool show something about:

SunWave1#3c5x9setup -v
3c5x9setup.c:v1.00 6/19/2000 Donald Becker (becker@scyld.com)
 http://www.scyld.com/diag/index.html
 Interrupt sources are pending.
   Adapter Failure indication.
3c5x9 found at 0x300.
 Indication enable is 00fe, interrupt enable is 009c.
 EEPROM contents:
  Model number 3c509 version 4, base I/O 0x300, IRQ 5, 10baseT port.
  3Com Node Address 00:A0:24:87:4A:A6 (used as a unique ID only).
  OEM Station address 00:A0:24:87:4A:A6 (used as the ethernet address).
  Manufacture date (MM/DD/YY) 4/1/96, division 6, product BZ.
  The computed checksum matches the stored checksum of 96c0.

But the EEPROM content is different from Kernel PNP.
see above

SunWave1#3c5x9setup -f -p 220
3c5x9setup.c:v1.00 6/19/2000 Donald Becker (becker@scyld.com)
 http://www.scyld.com/diag/index.html
No EtherLink III device exists at address 0x220.
 Interrupt sources are pending.
   Interrupt latch indication.
   Adapter Failure indication.
   Tx Complete indication.
   Tx Available indication.
   Rx Complete indication.
   Rx Early Notice indication.
   Driver Intr Request indication.
   Statistics Full indication.
   DMA Done indication.
   Download Complete indication.
   Upload Complete indication.
   DMA in Progress indication.
   Command in Progress indication.
3c5*9 not found at 0x220, status ffff.
If there is a 3c5*9 card in the machine, explicitly set the I/O port address
  using '-p <ioaddr>
SunWave1#cat /proc/ioports | grep 3c509
0220-022f : 3c509 PnP

Ieeee, it destroy my setup, too. I have to reboot :-(
eth1: Infinite loop in interrupt, status ffff.

> > BTW Is DMA (channel 6 for example) possible with this hardware/driver?
>
> the hardware is capable of it I belive, I do not know about the driver.

Thanks!

-Dieter

PS Before we go full OT I switch to private mode.

* Re: 3c509: broken(verified)
@ 2001-08-07  1:00   ` Dieter Nützel
From: Dieter Nützel @ 2001-08-07  1:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Riley Williams; +Cc: Linux Kernel List

Am Dienstag, 7. August 2001 01:11 schrieben Sie:
> Hi Dieter.
>
>  >> You mention the problem is being unable to change the media, I
>  >> was unaware this was even possible with the current 3c509
>  >> driver, and most people do it on 3c509's and other PNP cards of
>  >> this sort (such as NE2000 clones)  by using a DOS boot diskette
>  >> and the DOS utilities provided by the manufacturer.
>  >
>  > That's what I did. I've set it to "auto mode" and it works with
>  > RJ45 cable. But I can't verify if "full duplex" worked right.
>
> What transfer speed do you get doing an FTP transfer across the link?

Don't know. I have to plug a laptop or something on it to test. Perhaps Dad's
PC (but the later is still connected via switched 100 Mbits ;-)

> 10base is theoretically capable of one meg per second,

1.25 MByte/sec (max)

> and experience
> indicates that a 10baseT link normally shows just under 500k per
> second flat out, presumably due to the half duplex nature of the
> 10baseT protocol. I'd expect 10base2 half duplex to be similar, and
> 10base2 full duplex to be somewhat faster.

I thought it should read 10baseT (with RJ45 cable) can reach 1.25 MByte/sec
full duplex (switched)?

>  > So I changed it under Win to "10baseT" for which the 3Com
>  > utilities say "full duplex" enabled.
>
> One slight problem - 10baseT uses CoAxial cable, not RJ45 - and, as
> far as I'm aware, 10baseT is strictly half duplex whereas 10base2
> (which uses RJ45 twisted pair cable) is capable of either half or full
> duplex.

See above.

       [not found] <E15Tvju-0001ta-00@infradead.org>
@ 2001-08-07  6:57 ` Riley Williams
From: Riley Williams @ 2001-08-07  6:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dieter Nützel; +Cc: Linux Kernel List

Hi Dieter.

 >>> That's what I did. I've set it to "auto mode" and it works with
 >>> RJ45 cable. But I can't verify if "full duplex" worked right.

 >> What transfer speed do you get doing an FTP transfer across the
 >> link?

 > Don't know. I have to plug a laptop or something on it to test.
 > Perhaps Dad's PC (but the latter is still connected via switched
 > 100 Mbits ;-)

Nodz...

 >> 10base is theoretically capable of one meg per second,

 > 1.25 MByte/sec (max)

Given perfectly accurate clocks at both ends, yes, but when is that
achieved?

 >> and experience indicates that a 10baseT link normally shows just
 >> under 500k per second flat out, presumably due to the half
 >> duplex nature of the 10baseT protocol. I'd expect 10base2 half
 >> duplex to be similar, and 10base2 full duplex to be somewhat
 >> faster.

 > I thought it should read 10baseT (with RJ45 cable) can reach
 > 1.25 MByte/sec full duplex (switched)?

The choice of base2 or baseT decides the cable used - see below.

 >>> So I changed it under Win to "10baseT" for which the 3Com
 >>> utilities say "full duplex" enabled.

 >> One slight problem - 10baseT uses CoAxial cable, not RJ45 - and,
 >> as far as I'm aware, 10baseT is strictly half duplex whereas
 >> 10base2 (which uses RJ45 twisted pair cable) is capable of
 >> either half or full duplex.

 > See above.

See my reply to Mark Hahn a few minutes ago for a fuller discussion.

Best wishes from Riley.

* RE: 3c509: broken(verified)
@ 2001-08-06 22:38 Leif Sawyer
From: Leif Sawyer @ 2001-08-06 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nicholas Knight [:tegeran@home.com] writes:
> On Monday 06 August 2001 08:54 am, Nico Schottelius wrote:
> > > i was just using a 3c509 in my friend's old 486 and it was working
> > > fine with 2.4.7.   Just modprobed it and set up the ips and it was
> > > able to ping and be pinged.
> >
> [snip]
> You mention the problem is being unable to change the media, I was
> unaware this was even possible with the current 3c509 driver,
> and most people do it on 3c509's and other PNP cards of this sort
> (such as NE2000 clones)  by using a DOS boot diskette and the DOS
> utilities provided by the manufacturer.

Either that or they head over to Donald Becker's site and
and get the configuration/diagnostic utilities that run under unix.
	http://www.scyld.com/page/support/network/

I've only had one board that was supported by the drivers that
needed to be "DOS util'd" first.  Most everything else that I have
work right out of the box, or after tweaking with his utilities.

* Re: 3c509: broken(verified)
@ 2001-08-06 22:30         ` Nicholas Knight
From: Nicholas Knight @ 2001-08-06 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Monday 06 August 2001 08:54 am, Nico Schottelius wrote:
> > i was just using a 3c509 in my friend's old 486 and it was working
> > fine with 2.4.7.   Just modprobed it and set up the ips and it was
> > able to ping and be pinged.
>
> Did you use twisted pair or coax (bnc) ?
>
> This problems occurs (at least ) when trying to use TP.
>
> Nico
>
> ps: Alan, do you have an solution ?

For what it's worth, I'm using a 3c509 card on vanilla 2.4.7 right now,
using standard twisted pair patch cable, and it works fine. I've used it
both as a module and compiled in (using compiled in at the moment) on
2.4.5 and 2.4.7, I've also previously used it on 2.4.3, both compiled in
and as a module.

The motherboard is a Soyo K7VIA w/single ISA slot, VIA Apollo Pro KX133
chipset, using an Athlon processor.

The card is connected to a hub and communicates fine with both my other
system and my cable modem, using DHCP.

@ 2001-08-06 15:54       ` Nico Schottelius
From: Nico Schottelius @ 2001-08-06 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2001-08-05 16:00     ` safemode
From: safemode @ 2001-08-05 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2001-08-05 14:23   ` Nico Schottelius
From: Nico Schottelius @ 2001-08-05 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alan Cox wrote:

> > The driver for the 3c509 of 2.4.7 is broken:
> > It is impossible to set the transmitter type.
> > modprobe 3c509 xcvr=X, where X is
> > 0,1,2,3,4 doesn't make a difference.
>
> Looking at the code it should set the type fine. The only bug I can see is
> that it will report the default type set in the eeprom not the type you
> asked.
>
> If thats the case (please check) then its trivial to fix

While I tried to setup the driver I always let one machine
outside ping it.

It is not just the message.

ozean:~ # modprobe 3c509 ; ifconfig eth1 192.168.4.17 up

eth1: 3c5x9 at 0x360, BNC port, address  00 60 97 39 43 b9, IRQ 5.
3c509.c:1.18 12Mar2001 becker@scyld.com
http://www.scyld.com/network/3c509.html

- the light on the hub keeps off, no ping answer

ozean:~ # ifconfig eth1 down ; rmmod 3c509;

ozean:~ # modprobe 3c509 xcvr=4 debug=4

## xcvr=4 is TP (found on scyld.com/network/3c509.html)

3c509.c:1.18 12Mar2001 becker@scyld.com
http://www.scyld.com/network/3c509.html
eth1: Setting Rx mode to 1 addresses.
  3c509 EEPROM word 7 0x6d50.
  3c509 EEPROM word 0 0x0060.
  3c509 EEPROM word 1 0x9739.
  3c509 EEPROM word 2 0x43b9.
  3c509 EEPROM word 8 0xc096.
  3c509 EEPROM word 9 0x5000.

eth1: 3c5x9 at 0x360, BNC port, address  00 60 97 39 43 b9, IRQ 5.
3c509.c:1.18 12Mar2001 becker@scyld.com
http://www.scyld.com/network/3c509.html
  3c509 EEPROM word 7 0xffff.
eth1: Opening, IRQ 5     status@36e 0000.
eth1: Opened 3c509  IRQ 5  status 2000.
eth1: Setting Rx mode to 1 addresses.

ozean:~ # ifconfig eth1 192.168.4.17 up

- ping does not work, no light is seen

That's it! The cable & the hub are okay.

Nico

* Re: 3c509: broken(verified)
       [not found] <no.id>
@ 2001-08-05 13:20 ` Alan Cox
From: Alan Cox @ 2001-08-05 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

> The driver for the 3c509 of 2.4.7 is broken:
> It is impossible to set the transmitter type.
> modprobe 3c509 xcvr=X, where X is
> 0,1,2,3,4 doesn't make a difference.

Looking at the code it should set the type fine. The only bug I can see is
that it will report the default type set in the eeprom not the type you
asked.

If thats the case (please check) then its trivial to fix

* 3c509: broken(verified)
@ 2001-08-05 11:10 Nico Schottelius
From: Nico Schottelius @ 2001-08-05 11:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

The driver for the 3c509 of 2.4.7 is broken:

It is impossible to set the transmitter type.

modprobe 3c509 xcvr=X, where X is
0,1,2,3,4 doesn't make a difference.

Donald Becker verified that's a driver problem.

Can someone fix that ? Or is there a fix outthere ?

Sincerly,

Nico