* Re: 3c509: broken(verified)
@ 2001-08-06 23:00 Dieter Nützel
From: Dieter Nützel @ 2001-08-06 23:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux Kernel List; +Cc: Alan Cox

On Monday 06 August 2001 22:30:12, Nicholas Knight wrote:
> You mention the problem is being unable to change the media, I was
> unaware this was even possible with the current 3c509 driver, and most
> people do it on 3c509's and other PNP cards of this sort (such as NE2000
> clones)  by using a DOS boot diskette and the DOS utilities provided by
> the manufacturer.

That's what I did. I've set it to "auto mode" and it works with RJ45 cable.
But I can't verify if "full duplex" worked right. So I changed it under Win
to "10baseT" for which the 3Com utilities say "full duplex" enabled.

Now I get this for my ADSL NIC.
My first NIC (Ethernet Pro 100+) is for the LAN.

eth1: 3c5x9 at 0x220, 10baseT port, address  00 a0 24 87 4a a6, IRQ 5.
3c509.c:1.18 12Mar2001 becker@scyld.com
http://www.scyld.com/network/3c509.html
eth1: Setting Rx mode to 1 addresses.
eth1: Setting Rx mode to 2 addresses.
eth1: Setting Rx mode to 3 addresses.

But I am not smarter 'cause there is no full duplex mode mentioned in the
logs.

Thanks,
	Dieter

BTW Is DMA (channel 6 for example) possible with this hardware/driver?

* RE: 3c509: broken(verified)
@ 2001-08-06 22:38 Leif Sawyer
From: Leif Sawyer @ 2001-08-06 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nicholas Knight [:tegeran@home.com] writes:
> On Monday 06 August 2001 08:54 am, Nico Schottelius wrote:
> > > i was just using a 3c509 in my friend's old 486 and it was working
> > > fine with 2.4.7.   Just modprobed it and set up the ips and it was
> > > able to ping and be pinged.
> >
> [snip]
> You mention the problem is being unable to change the media, I was
> unaware this was even possible with the current 3c509 driver,
> and most people do it on 3c509's and other PNP cards of this sort
> (such as NE2000 clones)  by using a DOS boot diskette and the DOS
> utilities provided by the manufacturer.

Either that or they head over to Donald Becker's site and
and get the configuration/diagnostic utilities that run under unix.
	http://www.scyld.com/page/support/network/

I've only had one board that was supported by the drivers that
needed to be "DOS util'd" first.  Most everything else that I have
work right out of the box, or after tweaking with his utilities.

[parent not found: <no.id>]
* 3c509: broken(verified)
@ 2001-08-05 11:10 Nico Schottelius
From: Nico Schottelius @ 2001-08-05 11:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

The driver for the 3c509 of 2.4.7 is broken:

It is impossible to set the transmitter type.

modprobe 3c509 xcvr=X, where X is
0,1,2,3,4 doesn't make a difference.

Donald Becker verified that's a driver problem.

Can someone fix that ? Or is there a fix outthere ?

Sincerly,

Nico