* RE: [Motion] Re: IDE corruption during heavy bt878-induced interr upt load [LKM]
@ 2003-04-23 19:22 David Brodbeck
From: David Brodbeck @ 2003-04-23 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'motion@lists.frogtown.com', andras, linux-kernel, motion

I'm not a hardware expert, but since on-board IDE controllers usually appear
as PCI devices to the OS, I assume they do DMA the same way.

* Re: [Motion] Re: IDE corruption during heavy bt878-induced interr upt load [LKM]
@ 2003-04-23 22:11   ` Alan Cox
From: Alan Cox @ 2003-04-23 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: joe briggs
  Cc: David Brodbeck, 'motion@lists.frogtown.com',
	andras, Linux Kernel Mailing List, motion

On Mer, 2003-04-23 at 23:13, joe briggs wrote:
> Is this true??? Does onboard IDE controllers appear and work the same way as
> IDE or PCI controllers with respect to IRQ, DMA, and memory access?

They appear to. Most of them nowdays are wired directly to the
north/southbridge link for performance.

* Re: [Motion] Re: IDE corruption during heavy bt878-induced interr upt load [LKM]
@ 2003-04-23 22:13 ` joe briggs
From: joe briggs @ 2003-04-23 22:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Brodbeck, 'motion@lists.frogtown.com',
	andras, linux-kernel, motion

On Wednesday 23 April 2003 03:22 pm, David Brodbeck wrote:
> [...]

Joe Briggs
Briggs Media Systems
105 Burnsen Ave.
Manchester NH 01304 USA
TEL/FAX 603-232-3115 MOBILE 603-493-2386
www.briggsmedia.com

* Re: [Motion] Re: IDE corruption during heavy bt878-induced interr upt load [LKM]
@ 2003-04-24 10:31     ` joe briggs
From: joe briggs @ 2003-04-24 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Cox
  Cc: David Brodbeck, 'motion@lists.frogtown.com',
	andras, Linux Kernel Mailing List, motion

That's what I thought, which is why I suspected that the underlying problem
might be related to the scope and completeness of the hardware arbitration.
Specifically, if a PCI board is DMA'ing a block of data to main memory, how
is the operation of the direct-connect IDE device impacted?  When most PCI
devices transfer data to main memory, don't they arbitrate the bus, become
master, and blast it accross in chunks?  Doesn't onboard IDE (legacy?) use
the DMA controller (8237 derivate I gues) to transfer?

@ 2003-04-24 18:57       ` Alan Cox
From: Alan Cox @ 2003-04-24 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: joe briggs
  Cc: David Brodbeck, 'motion@lists.frogtown.com',

On Iau, 2003-04-24 at 11:31, joe briggs wrote:
> Specifically, if a PCI board is DMA'ing a block of data to main memory, how
> is the operation of the direct-connect IDE device impacted?  When most PCI
> devices transfer data to main memory, don't they arbitrate the bus, become
> master, and blast it accross in chunks?  Doesn't onboard IDE (legacy?) use
> the DMA controller (8237 derivate I gues) to transfer?

Onboard legacy mode IDE doing PCI DMA is doing it directly. How onboard
and southbridge IDE interact is a complicated field and chipset
dependant.