* CPU-Test similar to Memtest?
@ 2003-10-28 16:05 Robert L. Harris
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Robert L. Harris @ 2003-10-28 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux-Kernel

On the heels of my system going nuts when I enabled Highmem I've played
with the ram and starting to wonder if it might all be good and I might
have a CPU just panic'ing for the fun of it.

I'm going to run MEMTEST today when I get home and get a chance to make
a bootable CD but I'm wondering if there might be a "CPUTEST" or such
utility anyone knows of that'll poke and prod a dual athalon real well
and make sure I don't have a flaky cpu.

Robert

:wq!
                                         @ x-hkp://pgp.mit.edu
DISCLAIMER:

Life is not a destination, it's a journey.
  Microsoft produces 15 car pileups on the highway.
    Don't stop traffic to stand and gawk at the tragedy.

* Re: CPU-Test similar to Memtest?
@ 2003-10-28 16:17 ` Ciaran McCreesh
From: Ciaran McCreesh @ 2003-10-28 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert L. Harris; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 11:05:50 -0500 "Robert L. Harris"
<Robert.L.Harris@rdlg.net> wrote:
| I'm going to run MEMTEST today when I get home and get a chance to
| make a bootable CD but I'm wondering if there might be a "CPUTEST" or
| such utility anyone knows of that'll poke and prod a dual athalon real
| well and make sure I don't have a flaky cpu.

I've found 'cpuburn' to work well for x86 CPUs:

http://users.ev1.net/~redelm/

--
Ciaran McCreesh
Mail:       ciaranm at firedrop.org.uk
Web:        www.firedrop.org.uk
System:     Gentoo Base System version 1.4.3.10p1 Linux 2.4.20-gentoo-r7

* Re: CPU-Test similar to Memtest?
@ 2003-10-28 17:06 ` Maciej Zenczykowski
From: Maciej Zenczykowski @ 2003-10-28 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert L. Harris; +Cc: Linux-Kernel

> On the heels of my system going nuts when I enabled Highmem I've played
> with the ram and starting to wonder if it might all be good and I might
> have a CPU just panic'ing for the fun of it.
>
> I'm going to run MEMTEST today when I get home and get a chance to make
> a bootable CD but I'm wondering if there might be a "CPUTEST" or such
> utility anyone knows of that'll poke and prod a dual athalon real well
> and make sure I don't have a flaky cpu.

Try running mprime235 torture test.  Available from GIMPS
(google://mersenne) it's very computationally intensive and a real good
CPU, cache & memory burner (so good that even many so-called 'rock-stable'
systems fail).  However it does require a running linux (try an older 2.4
kernel).

Cheers,
MaZe.

* Re: CPU-Test similar to Memtest?
@ 2003-10-28 22:17 ` Thayne Harbaugh
From: Thayne Harbaugh @ 2003-10-28 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert L. Harris; +Cc: Linux-Kernel

On Tue, 2003-10-28 at 09:05, Robert L. Harris wrote:
> I'm going to run MEMTEST today when I get home and get a chance to make
> a bootable CD

Memtest86 is good, but it isn't as good as it could be.  Many times I
have seen it run 24 hours without error even though the the system has
bad memory.

>  but I'm wondering if there might be a "CPUTEST" or such
> utility anyone knows of that'll poke and prod a dual athalon real well
> and make sure I don't have a flaky cpu.

Run Linpack (or other computationally intensive program) while
monitoring ECC errors with either
http://www.anime.net/~goemon/linux-ecc/files/
or
ftp://ftp.lnxi.com/pub/bluesmoke

--
Thayne Harbaugh
Linux Networx

* Re: CPU-Test similar to Memtest?
@ 2003-11-07 15:03   ` bill davidsen
From: bill davidsen @ 2003-11-07 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

In article <1067379433.6281.575.camel@tubarao>,
Thayne Harbaugh  <tharbaugh@lnxi.com> wrote:

| On Tue, 2003-10-28 at 09:05, Robert L. Harris wrote:
| > I'm going to run MEMTEST today when I get home and get a chance to make
| > a bootable CD
|
| Memtest86 is good, but it isn't as good as it could be.  Many times I
| have seen it run 24 hours without error even though the the system has
| bad memory.
|
| >  but I'm wondering if there might be a "CPUTEST" or such
| > utility anyone knows of that'll poke and prod a dual athalon real well
| > and make sure I don't have a flaky cpu.
|
| Run Linpack (or other computationally intensive program) while
| monitoring ECC errors with either
| http://www.anime.net/~goemon/linux-ecc/files/
| or
| ftp://ftp.lnxi.com/pub/bluesmoke

I agree with almost everything you said, but I have seen cases in which
no CPU use would generate an error, but using heavy DMA io in addition
triggered the problem. If all else fails add your favorite disk test.
--
bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
  CTO, TMR Associates, Inc

* Re: CPU-Test similar to Memtest?
@ 2003-11-08  3:47     ` Samuel Flory
From: Samuel Flory @ 2003-11-08  3:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

bill davidsen wrote:
> In article <1067379433.6281.575.camel@tubarao>,
> Thayne Harbaugh  <tharbaugh@lnxi.com> wrote:
>
> | On Tue, 2003-10-28 at 09:05, Robert L. Harris wrote:
> | > I'm going to run MEMTEST today when I get home and get a chance to make
> | > a bootable CD
> |
> | Memtest86 is good, but it isn't as good as it could be.  Many times I
> | have seen it run 24 hours without error even though the the system has
> | bad memory.
> |
> | >  but I'm wondering if there might be a "CPUTEST" or such
> | > utility anyone knows of that'll poke and prod a dual athalon real well
> | > and make sure I don't have a flaky cpu.
> |
> | Run Linpack (or other computationally intensive program) while
> | monitoring ECC errors with either
> | http://www.anime.net/~goemon/linux-ecc/files/
> | or
> | ftp://ftp.lnxi.com/pub/bluesmoke
>
> I agree with almost everything you said, but I have seen cases in which
> no CPU use would generate an error, but using heavy DMA io in addition
> triggered the problem. If all else fails add your favorite disk test.

   Cpuburn is a good test to run on x86's.  That said I've only seen it
fail in 2 systems out of ~20,000.  Generally cpu erros will crash your
system before the error is printed to the screen.

   Also compiling your kernel in a loop is a good way to shake loose
cpu, and memory issue.  I've often found this finds errors much quicker
many memory tests.

   You might want to try ctcs.  "Make ; "./new-burn -t"
http://sourceforge.net/projects/va-ctcs/
--
Once you have their hardware. Never give it back.
(The First Rule of Hardware Acquisition)