* [GIT PULL] configfs updates for 4.8
@ 2016-07-28 13:30 Christoph Hellwig
From: Christoph Hellwig @ 2016-07-28 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: torvalds; +Cc: linux-fsdevel, linux-kernel

Hi Linus,

The following changes since commit 3dc3afadeb0403fd967b97ee282ab9053d36da2b:

  configfs: don't set buffer_needs_fill to zero if show() returns error (2016-07-10 21:02:18 +0900)

are available in the git repository at:

  git://git.infradead.org/users/hch/configfs.git tags/configfs-for-4.8

for you to fetch changes up to 3dc3afadeb0403fd967b97ee282ab9053d36da2b:

  configfs: don't set buffer_needs_fill to zero if show() returns error (2016-07-10 21:02:18 +0900)

configfs updates for 4.8:

 - a simple error handling fix from Tal Shorer

* Re: [GIT PULL] configfs updates for 4.8
@ 2016-07-28 20:05 ` Linus Torvalds
From: Linus Torvalds @ 2016-07-28 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Jul 28, 2016 at 6:30 AM, Christoph Hellwig <hch@infradead.org> wrote:

>   git://git.infradead.org/users/hch/configfs.git tags/configfs-for-4.8
>
> for you to fetch changes up to 3dc3afadeb0403fd967b97ee282ab9053d36da2b:

Same lack of diffstat..

There's a reason we have a "git request-pull" helper. You don't have
to use it (lots of people end up using other things that match their
workflow better), but you do have to generate something at least as
good at that.

        Linus

* Re: [GIT PULL] configfs updates for 4.8
@ 2016-07-28 20:18   ` Al Viro
From: Al Viro @ 2016-07-28 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linus Torvalds

On Thu, Jul 28, 2016 at 01:05:13PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 28, 2016 at 6:30 AM, Christoph Hellwig <hch@infradead.org> wrote:
> >
> >   git://git.infradead.org/users/hch/configfs.git tags/configfs-for-4.8
> >
> > for you to fetch changes up to 3dc3afadeb0403fd967b97ee282ab9053d36da2b:
>
> Same lack of diffstat..
>
> There's a reason we have a "git request-pull" helper. You don't have
> to use it (lots of people end up using other things that match their
> workflow better), but you do have to generate something at least as
> good at that.

FWIW, git request-pull is very likely to make complete mess of
diffstat - all it takes is branch started at -rc1, then a merge from
anything started at later point (e.g. Miklos asking to pull ->d_real()
work from his tree into vfs.git, with his branch starting at -rc5).

I've ended up doing git fetch origin; git checkout -b XXX origin; git
merge work.misc; git diff XXX --stat and replacing the mess produced by
git-request-pull with that.  It works, of course, but what worries me
is that less obvious mess could've slipped unnoticed.  Might make sense
to teach git request-pull to warn about likely bogus diffstat...

* Re: [GIT PULL] configfs updates for 4.8
@ 2016-07-28 20:24     ` Linus Torvalds
From: Linus Torvalds @ 2016-07-28 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Jul 28, 2016 at 1:18 PM, Al Viro <viro@zeniv.linux.org.uk> wrote:

> FWIW, git request-pull is very likely to make complete mess of
> diffstat - all it takes is branch started at -rc1, then a merge from
> anything started at later point (e.g. Miklos asking to pull ->d_real()
> work from his tree into vfs.git, with his branch starting at -rc5).

Yes. git request-pull doesn't do a real merge, and if you have
multiple merge bases, the diffstat is usually garbage (because you
also end up getting diffs that are all about the differences in merge
bases, not the branch itself).

So people who have more complex git history are certainly encouraged to

 (a) do their own test-merge anyway, just to see that everything is
fine, and to be able to report to me about merge conflicts

 (b) use the result of that test-merge to generate a better diff-stat
than git request-pull does.

So yes, people who have more complex git trees are very much welcome
to improve on git request-pull output. It's aoppreciated.

What is *not* appreciated is when people send something worse ;)

git request-pull tends to do really well for simple and
straightforward git users, which is what it's geared towards. If you
have linear history and don't do back-merges (which you shouldn't do
unless you really really know what you are doing anyway), you'll never
see the limitations of the stupid "just diff against the merge base"
approach.

            Linus

* Re: [GIT PULL] configfs updates for 4.8
@ 2016-07-28 22:07       ` James Bottomley
From: James Bottomley @ 2016-07-28 22:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linus Torvalds, Al Viro

On Thu, 2016-07-28 at 13:24 -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 28, 2016 at 1:18 PM, Al Viro <viro@zeniv.linux.org.uk>
> wrote:
> >
> > FWIW, git request-pull is very likely to make complete mess of
> > diffstat - all it takes is branch started at -rc1, then a merge
> > from
> > anything started at later point (e.g. Miklos asking to pull
> > ->d_real()
> > work from his tree into vfs.git, with his branch starting at -rc5).
>
> Yes. git request-pull doesn't do a real merge, and if you have
> multiple merge bases, the diffstat is usually garbage (because you
> also end up getting diffs that are all about the differences in merge
> bases, not the branch itself).

Just in case it helps, this is what I do:

I keep a static base around for each tree.  Its the commit for which
git log base...HEAD only returns the commits I've pulled or committed
myself.  I think mathematically, if you do a pairwise comparison of all
the trees you've pulled, it ends up being the latest (tree relative)
foreign commit that doesn't appear in any other tree you've pulled.

if you can't be bothered to calculate it, then you can always merge up
to some point in Linus' head beyond yours and that then becomes your
base.

I store it in a xxx-base branch for the xxx tree and then do

git diff --stat -M --summary  xxx-base...xxx

James

@ 2016-07-29  7:11   ` Christoph Hellwig
From: Christoph Hellwig @ 2016-07-29  7:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linus Torvalds

On Thu, Jul 28, 2016 at 01:05:13PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 28, 2016 at 6:30 AM, Christoph Hellwig <hch@infradead.org> wrote:
> >
> >   git://git.infradead.org/users/hch/configfs.git tags/configfs-for-4.8
> >
> > for you to fetch changes up to 3dc3afadeb0403fd967b97ee282ab9053d36da2b:
>
> Same lack of diffstat..
>
> There's a reason we have a "git request-pull" helper. You don't have
> to use it (lots of people end up using other things that match their
> workflow better), but you do have to generate something at least as
> good at that.

Both pull requests were generated using git request-pull from git
2.1.4.

* Re: [GIT PULL] configfs updates for 4.8
@ 2016-07-29  7:56     ` Christoph Hellwig
From: Christoph Hellwig @ 2016-07-29  7:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linus Torvalds

On Fri, Jul 29, 2016 at 12:11:23AM -0700, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> Both pull requests were generated using git request-pull from git
> 2.1.4.

Looks like I was tired enough to mess up the confusing arguments to
git request-pull once again.  I'll resend both requests.

From: Christoph Hellwig @ 2016-07-29  7:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: torvalds; +Cc: linux-fsdevel, linux-kernel

Hi Linus,

The following changes since commit ee40fb2948fc99096836995d4f3ddcc0efbac790:

  Merge tag 'scsi-fixes' of git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/jejb/scsi (2016-07-08 18:59:46 -0700)

are available in the git repository at:

  git://git.infradead.org/users/hch/configfs.git tags/configfs-for-4.8

for you to fetch changes up to 3dc3afadeb0403fd967b97ee282ab9053d36da2b:

  configfs: don't set buffer_needs_fill to zero if show() returns error (2016-07-10 21:02:18 +0900)

configfs updates for 4.8:

 - a simple error handling fix from Tal Shorer

Tal Shorer (1):
      configfs: don't set buffer_needs_fill to zero if show() returns error

 fs/configfs/file.c | 6 +++---