* usb.c: USB device not accepting new address=4 (error=-110)
@ 2001-06-09  4:41 Ingo Oeser
       [not found] ` <0ab501c0f0ac$10532720$cc07aace@brownell.org>
From: Ingo Oeser @ 2001-06-09  4:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-usb-devel; +Cc: linux-kernel

Hi there,

please CC me to replies on linux-usb-devel, since I'm not
subscribed there.

I try to use my Handspring Visor USB craddle with Linux. I've
seen, that this will work, but all the other people use a UHCI
driver for this, so this could be as well an OHCI issue.

loaded modules:
visor                  10256   0  (unused)
usbserial              18128   0  [visor]
usb-ohci               22352   0  (unused)
usbcore                58256   1  [visor usbserial usb-ohci]

Pressing the hotsync button, I get the message from the subject
line (with variing values for "address"). Even plugging into
another USB port doesn't help. Only the usb port adress changes.

lspci -vvvv (attached)
.config (attached)
kernel messages since boot (attached)

Would be nice, if we can solve/debug this ;-)

Regards

Ingo Oeser
--
To the systems programmer,
users and applications serve only to provide a test load.

[-- Attachment #2: pci.bz2 --]

[-- Attachment #3: .config.bz2 --]

[-- Attachment #4: debug.bz2 --]

* Re: [linux-usb-devel] usb.c: USB device not accepting new address=4 (error=-110)
       [not found]   ` <20010609091919.W11815@nightmaster.csn.tu-chemnitz.de>
@ 2001-06-09 13:14     ` David Brownell
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: David Brownell @ 2001-06-09 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ingo Oeser; +Cc: linux-usb-devel, lkml

Then whatever sets up your ServerWorks ServerSet III LE chipset
needs its PCI IRQ setup fixed ... I'm not sure how to do this.

Perhaps someone who's familiar with arch/i386/kernel/pci-*.c
irq setup can suggest the right patch for this problem.  I think
the "dmesg" output in your original post probably had the info
needed to figure that out.

- Dave

@ 2001-06-09 18:15       ` thunder7
From: thunder7 @ 2001-06-09 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

On Sat, Jun 09, 2001 at 06:14:24AM -0700, David Brownell wrote:
> Then whatever sets up your ServerWorks ServerSet III LE chipset
> needs its PCI IRQ setup fixed ... I'm not sure how to do this.
>
> Perhaps someone who's familiar with arch/i386/kernel/pci-*.c
> irq setup can suggest the right patch for this problem.  I think
> the "dmesg" output in your original post probably had the info
> needed to figure that out.
>
> - Dave

A similar problem with USB on a VIA smp board was solved by Jeff Garzik,
so you might want to send him some info, like

dmesg
lspci -vvvxxx

Good luck,
Jurriaan
--
You have nothing to be afraid of. Well, that might not be true in the
larger scheme of things, but this ordeal is over, so off you go. Toodle-oo.

* Re: [linux-usb-devel] usb.c: USB device not accepting new address=4 (error=-110)
@ 2001-06-09 18:44       ` Ingo Oeser
From: Ingo Oeser @ 2001-06-09 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Brownell; +Cc: linux-usb-devel, lkml

On Sat, Jun 09, 2001 at 06:14:24AM -0700, David Brownell wrote:
> Then whatever sets up your ServerWorks ServerSet III LE chipset
> needs its PCI IRQ setup fixed ...

Right. "noapic" helps, which is a sure sign of such bugs.

> I'm not sure how to do this.

Neither me. I boot with "noapic" now, but this sucks on SMP, as
we all know :-(

> Perhaps someone who's familiar with arch/i386/kernel/pci-*.c
> irq setup can suggest the right patch for this problem.  I think
> the "dmesg" output in your original post probably had the info
> needed to figure that out.

Maybe some of the people with good contacts to ServerWorks Inc.
can help me (and all the ServerWorks customers) out...

Thanks and Regards

Ingo oeser
--

@ 2001-06-10 22:03       ` Pete Zaitcev
From: Pete Zaitcev @ 2001-06-10 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-usb-devel; +Cc: Ingo Oeser, lkml

I had difficulties making it all work on ServerWorks III LE
based machines, most notably 2450 & 6450.

Dell fixed 2450 eventually, BIOS needs upgrade to level A11.

> >  30:          0          0   IO-APIC-level  usb-ohci

The line above says that MP table contained the device.
This is the situarion with 6450 - they have the MP entry,
but there is no way to make it work. I am working with their
BIOS and hw engineers on a fix.

For the moment the workaround is to run the whole thing
with "noapic". Try it, perhaps it helps the machine in question.

-- Pete