* arp.c duplicate assignment of skb->dev ("cosmetic")
@ 2001-08-30 17:18 Herbert Rosmanith
From: Herbert Rosmanith @ 2001-08-30 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

hi,

this is rather cosmetical than functional, but in arp.c,
in arp_send(), on line 489

	skb->dev=dev;

is assigned. in line 563, still in the same routine, it is
assigned again without skb or skb->dev being changed. so I guess
this second assignment is not neccessary. I can't see where
skb->dev is changed within the 80  lines. so, we could remove
the second assignment.

/herp

* Re: arp.c duplicate assignment of skb->dev ("cosmetic")
@ 2001-08-30 18:13 ` Bryan Rittmeyer
From: Bryan Rittmeyer @ 2001-08-30 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Herbert Rosmanith; +Cc: linux-kernel

Herbert Rosmanith wrote:

> hi,
>
> this is rather cosmetical than functional, but in arp.c,
> in arp_send(), on line 489
>
> 	skb->dev=dev;
>
> is assigned. in line 563, still in the same routine, it is
> assigned again without skb or skb->dev being changed. so I guess
> this second assignment is not neccessary. I can't see where
> skb->dev is changed within the 80  lines. so, we could remove
> the second assignment.

Hi Herbert,

I also noticed this dupe a couple days ago and pointed it out to
the lkml and net code maintainers. Alexey Kuznetsov has
agreed, saying:

"Apparently, this is right. This happened ages ago when eliminating
second argument dev_queue_xmit()."

I assume a fix will be in the next major release.

Regards,

Bryan

--
Bryan Rittmeyer
mailto:bryan@ixiacom.com

* Re: arp.c duplicate assignment of skb->dev ("cosmetic")
@ 2001-08-30 20:03   ` Herbert Rosmanith
From: Herbert Rosmanith @ 2001-08-30 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bryan Rittmeyer; +Cc: herp, linux-kernel

> > this is rather cosmetical than functional, but in arp.c,
> > in arp_send(), on line 489
> >
> > 	skb->dev=dev;
> >
> > is assigned. in line 563, still in the same routine, it is
> > assigned again without skb or skb->dev being changed. so I guess
>
> Hi Herbert,
>
> I also noticed this dupe a couple days ago and pointed it out to
> the lkml

eeks. I hope it does not look like I have been posting this only because
I saw your email to lkml. In fact, I've found this a while ago, but was
just too lazy to email it.