* khttpd vs tux
@ 2001-11-03 16:21 Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk
From: Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk @ 2001-11-03 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

hi

can someone tell me what the difference is, in functionality, speed etc.
between the tux (2.0?) webserver and khttpd? I'm working on a project
where all I need is raw speed - really raw speed - and I really don't know
which to choose.

roy

---
Computers are like air conditioners.

* Re: khttpd vs tux
@ 2001-11-03 16:28 ` bert hubert
From: bert hubert @ 2001-11-03 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Nov 03, 2001 at 05:21:43PM +0100, Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk wrote:
> hi
>
> can someone tell me what the difference is, in functionality, speed etc.
> between the tux (2.0?) webserver and khttpd? I'm working on a project
> where all I need is raw speed - really raw speed - and I really don't know
> which to choose.

tux holds all records, khttpd has been measured to be slower than some
userspace webservers.

Regards,

bert

--
http://www.PowerDNS.com          Versatile DNS Software & Services
Trilab                                 The Technology People

* Re: khttpd vs tux
@ 2001-11-03 16:45   ` Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk
From: Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk @ 2001-11-03 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

> tux holds all records, khttpd has been measured to be slower than some
> userspace webservers.

What's bad about tux, then? There usually is something...

roy
---

@ 2001-11-03 16:49     ` bert hubert
From: bert hubert @ 2001-11-03 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Nov 03, 2001 at 05:45:29PM +0100, Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk wrote:
> > tux holds all records, khttpd has been measured to be slower than some
> > userspace webservers.
>
> What's bad about tux, then? There usually is something...

The main hurdle for Tux is that it is not in the mainstream kernel, and
consists of a patch. I think RedHat has precompiled kernels with Tux in
them. The aa kernels also contain tux.

There are also strong indications that 'zero copy tcp/ip' may enable
userspace webservers to achieve comparable bandwidths (many gbits/second).
See for example X15: http://www.chromium.com/x15tech.html

Regards,

bert

--
http://www.PowerDNS.com          Versatile DNS Software & Services
Trilab                                 The Technology People
Netherlabs BV / Rent-a-Nerd.nl           - Nerd Available -
'SYN! .. SYN|ACK! .. ACK!' - the mating call of the internet

* Re: [khttpd-users] khttpd vs tux
@ 2001-11-04  5:26 ` Chul Lee
From: Chul Lee @ 2001-11-04  5:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

You had better refer a paper whose tile is High-Performance Memory-Based Web Servers: Kernel and User-Space Performance, by Philippe  at IBM.T.J Watson
They also have experiments on performance between various kernel mode web server and user mode web server.

Chul