* Re: 2.4.19-pre3-ac1 - Quotactl patch
@ 2002-03-18  3:47 Nathan Scott
From: Nathan Scott @ 2002-03-18  3:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shawn Starr, Alan Cox; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Sun, 17 Mar 2002, Alan Cox wrote:

> > You might want to upgrade to the newer one, the patch has undergone a lot
> > of changes and -ac against the XFS merge of the quotactl patch seriously
> > breaks ;-(
>
> The -ac patch is the current stable 2.4 one for 32bit uid quota. [...]

Shawn,

We are using Jan's latest "alpha" patches in XFS CVS (not the latest
"stable" patches), so you will need to follow the recipe I sent out
earlier (see below) for getting these patches to work together with
the quota patch in Alan's patches.  Following this recipe, nothing
should "seriously break" -- please let me know if it does -- and no
additional quota patches are necessary for XFS.

cheers.

--
Nathan

@ 2002-03-18  6:53 ` Shawn Starr
From: Shawn Starr @ 2002-03-18  6:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nathan Scott; +Cc: Alan Cox, linux-kernel

Right, but which old patch 2.4.18-pre3-quotactl reversed against
2.4.19-pre3-ac1 doesnt go out cleanly without patch complaining about
unreversed patch problems.

Shawn.

@ 2002-03-18 11:36   ` Alan Cox
From: Alan Cox @ 2002-03-18 11:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shawn Starr; +Cc: Nathan Scott, Alan Cox, linux-kernel

> Right, but which old patch 2.4.18-pre3-quotactl reversed against
> 2.4.19-pre3-ac1 doesnt go out cleanly without patch complaining about
> unreversed patch problems.

It isnt a single patch, its patches with further fixes on top.

* Re: 2.4.19-pre3-ac1 - Quotactl patch
@ 2002-03-18 20:36     ` Nathan Scott
From: Nathan Scott @ 2002-03-18 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Cox, Shawn Starr; +Cc: linux-kernel

Shawn Starr wrote:
> > Right, but which old patch 2.4.18-pre3-quotactl reversed against

I assume you mean "2.4.18-pre3-ac2-quotactl.patch" from XFS CVS...
this was an incremental patch against Alan's tree, as described in
cmd/xfsmisc/README in the XFS CVS tree - it's not the right one to
be using here, since we're trying to back out the quota changes in
Alan's patches (a.k.a. Jan Kara's 32 bit uid/gid quota patches, at
ftp://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/pub/local/jack/quota/v2.4/)

> > 2.4.19-pre3-ac1 doesnt go out cleanly without patch complaining about
> > unreversed patch problems.

You would need to use the quota patch which is part of Alan's patches
in order to get back to the base kernel quota, before applying Jan's
new patches (which are patches against Linus'/Marcelo's kernels).

Alan Cox wrote:
> It isnt a single patch, its patches with further fixes on top.

So, I'm starting to think the patch you need doesn't exist, Shawn...
Previously I thought Alan simply used Jan's quota patches directly,
but from what Alan's saying it sounds like that isn't correct and he
has additional fixes which aren't in Jan's patches. (?)

Anyway, I imagine you would still get most of the way there by reverse
applying Jan's patch (quota-patch-2.4.17-3.diff in XFS CVS) and then
fixing up any remaining issues by hand.  You just need to get back to
the base kernel quota as a starting point, because that's what Jan's
"alpha" patches are against (we use these in the XFS CVS tree now).

cheers.

--
Nathan

* Re: 2.4.19-pre3-ac1 - Quotactl patch