* Re: lost interrupt hell - Plea for Help
@ 2002-05-19 12:25 Mikael Pettersson
From: Mikael Pettersson @ 2002-05-19 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: steffl; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Sun, 19 May 2002 00:14:42 -0700, Erik Steffl wrote:
>> Yeah, the spurious interrupt does seem to be an AMD apic problem, but the lost
>> interrupt (on ripping audio) seems to be a VIA chipset problem, as people
>> with KT266 chipsets are having boot problems / audio rip problems regardless
>> of the processor type. Lucky me, I get both ;)
>
>  doesn't anybody know what the problem is? while it was reported quite
>a few times there was no helpful response to the problem (positive
>(fix)or negative (it's unlikely to be fixed).

As the person who added AMD K7 local APIC support to the kernel, I
consider the _real_ problem to be the lack of adequate documentation.
AMD has almost no documentation on the K7's machine-specific features,
and VIA similarly don't seem keen on documenting their chipsets.

If someone were to find AMD K7 documentation at the level of Intel's
IA32 Volume 3 manual (245272-006), and AMD K7 errata docs at the level
of Intel's PIII (244453-nn) and P4 (249199-nn) specification updates,
then I'd be happy to look at the K7 spurious interrupt problem.

Without documentation it's just guesswork, and I don't have time for that.

/Mikael

* Re: lost interrupt hell - Plea for Help
@ 2002-05-19 20:26 Mikael Pettersson
From: Mikael Pettersson @ 2002-05-19 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kevin; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Sun, 19 May 2002 11:43:09 -0700, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
>I have just switched motherboards in my file server, which previously had no
>problems ripping audio from my Creative 52X drives. The new motherboard has
>the KT266A chipset, but the CD drives are _not_ connected to that chipset's
>IDE ports. I am getting "lost interrupt" messages when I try to rip audio
>from the drives, or even mount ISO9660 discs (which do eventually succeed,
>they just take over a minute to mount). So far I have done the following:
>
>- turned off "dma" and "unmaskirq" for the CD drives
>- tried ide-scsi/sg instead of ide-cd
>- tried booting with "noapic"
>- tried 2.4.19-pre8 and 2.4.19-pre8-ac4
>
>Nothing has helped. The machine configuration is an MSI KT7266-Pro2RU
>motherboard, KT266A chipset with on-board Promise PDC20265R FastTrak
>"lite"). There is also a Promise PDC20262 (Ultra66TX2) in a PCI slot, and
>that is where the CD drives are connected. Each CD drive is the master on
>its channel, and one of them also has a Iomega ZIP 250 ATAPI drive as its
>slave. Interestingly, the ZIP drive works perfectly, no "lost interrupt"
>messages at all.

1. It's been stated here on LKML several times that optical drives
   should NOT be connected to Promise chips. It may work with Promise's
   Windows drivers, but that doesn't help here. A better strategy is to
   connect your CD-ROMs and Zip drive to the KT266A, and any IDE disks
   either to the FastTrak or the Ultra66 add-on card (though from your
   `lspci` I suppose your disks are SCSI).

2. "noapic" only controls whether the I/O-APIC is used or not.
   If you want to test without the _local_ APIC being enabled,
   then I'm afraid you have to rebuild the kernel with
   CONFIG_X86_UP_APIC disabled.

/Mikael

* lost interrupt hell - Plea for Help
@ 2002-05-07 18:01 mikeH
From: mikeH @ 2002-05-07 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi all,

*bang*

*bang*

Hear that? Its my head, against the wall. ;)

I am trying to convert my audio cds to mp3, which involves first ripping
the track as a wav.

I have two drives, one Creative DVD 5x, one LG CDRW drive.
My chipet is VIA K7 266 pro, 1.2ghz duron.

I have tried every combination of master / slave between the two drives,
the drives on their own, scsi emulation through ide-scsi, purely as IDE
drives, ommitting ide cdrom support from teh kernel completely and only
using ide-scsi... every time I try to get a track ripped, dmesg fills up
with hdX: lost interrupt.

If I try to rip from the DVD drive, the system hangs and its reset
button time.

I am using 2.4.18.

Can anyone tell me where I'm going wrong? Is there anything from my
system you need to see to help me?

Many thanks,

mikeH