* lost interrupt hell - Plea for Help
@ 2002-05-07 18:01 mikeH
From: mikeH @ 2002-05-07 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi all,

*bang*

Hear that? Its my head, against the wall. ;)

I am trying to convert my audio cds to mp3, which involves first ripping
the track as a wav.

I have two drives, one Creative DVD 5x, one LG CDRW drive.
My chipet is VIA K7 266 pro, 1.2ghz duron.

I have tried every combination of master / slave between the two drives,
the drives on their own, scsi emulation through ide-scsi, purely as IDE
drives, ommitting ide cdrom support from teh kernel completely and only
using ide-scsi... every time I try to get a track ripped, dmesg fills up
with hdX: lost interrupt.

If I try to rip from the DVD drive, the system hangs and its reset
button time.

I am using 2.4.18.

Can anyone tell me where I'm going wrong? Is there anything from my
system you need to see to help me?

Many thanks,

mikeH

* Re: lost interrupt hell - Plea for Help
@ 2002-05-09 11:34 ` Tomasz Rola
From: Tomasz Rola @ 2002-05-09 11:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mikeH; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Tue, 7 May 2002, mikeH wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> *bang*
>
> *bang*
>
> Hear that? Its my head, against the wall. ;)
>
> I am trying to convert my audio cds to mp3, which involves first ripping
> the track as a wav.
>
> I have two drives, one Creative DVD 5x, one LG CDRW drive.
> My chipet is VIA K7 266 pro, 1.2ghz duron.
>
> I have tried every combination of master / slave between the two drives,
> the drives on their own, scsi emulation through ide-scsi, purely as IDE
> drives, ommitting ide cdrom support from teh kernel completely and only
> using ide-scsi... every time I try to get a track ripped, dmesg fills up
> with hdX: lost interrupt.
>
> If I try to rip from the DVD drive, the system hangs and its reset
> button time.
>
> I am using 2.4.18.
>
> Can anyone tell me where I'm going wrong? Is there anything from my
> system you need to see to help me?

Hi again. I've thought I've already given up but just to be sure and not
forget about anything (yes, some people - like me - don't know when to
stop and go home):

1. Have you tried another ide cables?
2. Do they stick ok?
3. How about unplugging CD completely from the motherboard?
4. Perhaps you need to compile via-specific options into your kernel.

In my case, every time I've seen lost interrupt it was something from the
above.

bye
T.

- --
** Tomasz Rola          mailto:tomasz_rola@bigfoot.com             **

* Re: lost interrupt hell - Plea for Help
@ 2002-05-09 11:42 ` Tomasz Rola
From: Tomasz Rola @ 2002-05-09 11:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mikeH; +Cc: linux-kernel

* Re: lost interrupt hell - Plea for Help
@ 2002-05-10 16:15   ` Denis Vlasenko
From: Denis Vlasenko @ 2002-05-10 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tomasz Rola, mikeH; +Cc: linux-kernel

On 9 May 2002 09:34, Tomasz Rola wrote:
> > I have tried every combination of master / slave between the two drives,
> > the drives on their own, scsi emulation through ide-scsi, purely as IDE
> > drives, ommitting ide cdrom support from teh kernel completely and only
> > using ide-scsi... every time I try to get a track ripped, dmesg fills up
> > with hdX: lost interrupt.
> >
> > If I try to rip from the DVD drive, the system hangs and its reset
> > button time.
> >
> > Can anyone tell me where I'm going wrong? Is there anything from my
> > system you need to see to help me?
>
> Hi again. I've thought I've already given up but just to be sure and not
> forget about anything (yes, some people - like me - don't know when to
> stop and go home):
>
> 1. Have you tried another ide cables?
> 2. Do they stick ok?
> 3. How about unplugging CD completely from the motherboard?
> 4. Perhaps you need to compile via-specific options into your kernel.
>
> In my case, every time I've seen lost interrupt it was something from the
> above.

But none of the above justifies kernel hang. It's a bug to fix.
There is IDE maintainer for 2.4:

Andre Hedrick <andre@linux-ide.org> [09 apr 2002]
	ATA/ATAPI Storage Architect [2.0,2.2,2.4]
	HBA interface developer
	Serial ATA Architect [future release]
	Voting NCITS member AT-Attachment Committee

Ask him what details he needs and maybe he will be able to help.
--
vda

* Re: lost interrupt hell - Plea for Help
@ 2002-05-10 21:28     ` Erik Steffl
From: Erik Steffl @ 2002-05-10 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Denis Vlasenko wrote:

> On 9 May 2002 09:34, Tomasz Rola wrote:
> > > I have tried every combination of master / slave between the two drives,
> > > the drives on their own, scsi emulation through ide-scsi, purely as IDE
> > > drives, ommitting ide cdrom support from teh kernel completely and only
> > > using ide-scsi... every time I try to get a track ripped, dmesg fills up
> > > with hdX: lost interrupt.
> > >
> > > If I try to rip from the DVD drive, the system hangs and its reset
> > > button time.
> > >
> > > Can anyone tell me where I'm going wrong? Is there anything from my
> > > system you need to see to help me?

  I have same problem (see some other emails from me, I haven't posted
about anything else), via motherboard, audio cd ripping doesn't work (I
get lost interrupt messages).

  I am pretty sure it's kernel problem (or motherboard design issue,
which is sort of kernel problem as well), I tried (none of it makes any
difference):

  - different cd-rom drivers (same situation),
  - dma on/off
  - 32 bit access on/off

  everything else except of audio ripping works (burning, data cd
reading, HD connected instead of cdrom drive etc.)

  PCI IDE card works (in same conmputer, same cdrom drive, same IDE
cables).

  the IRQ works ok, as long as the activity is something else than audio
ripping - the numbers in /proc/interrupts go up, there doesn't seem to
be any interrupt conflict (it's assigned by BIOS, IRQ 15, nothing else
seems to be using 15, at least nothing that would be visible on bios
bootup screen (it prints irq assignments) or linux (/proc/interupts
doesn't list 15 at all if the cdrom drive is not there, it lists hdc if
the drive is in).

  there are other people who have the same problem, it looks like all
are via chipsets related (I just got email from another guy who cannot
find a solution either).

  this is with stable kernel (I tried 2.4.17 and 2.4.18), via config
option compiled in (I haven't tried without via support in kernel yet,
I'll try that).

  any ideas? TIA

	erik

* Re: lost interrupt hell - Plea for Help
@ 2002-05-11  8:32       ` mikeH
From: mikeH @ 2002-05-11  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Erik Steffl; +Cc: linux-kernel

You can try compiling without VIA chipset support, but it makes no
difference.
Now, with the latest prepatches, -ac patches and ide patches, I am
getting spurious  "8259A interrupt: IRQ7."
all over the place too. Seems like the linux kernel does not play well
with AMD Cpus + VIA chipsets, which
is a real shame as thats what all my machines are :(

mikeH

@ 2002-05-11  8:38         ` Rudmer van Dijk
From: Rudmer van Dijk @ 2002-05-11  8:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mikeH, Erik Steffl; +Cc: linux-kernel

At 09:32 11-5-02 +0100, mikeH wrote:

>You can try compiling without VIA chipset support, but it makes no
>difference.
>Now, with the latest prepatches, -ac patches and ide patches, I am
>getting spurious  "8259A interrupt: IRQ7."
>all over the place too. Seems like the linux kernel does not play well
>with AMD Cpus + VIA chipsets, which
>is a real shame as thats what all my machines are :(

It's not only with VIA chipsets, I have an Athlon system with a SIS chipset
and there I get the spurious  "8259A interrupt: IRQ7." as well...
luckily the message is only displayed once, but it always appears in the
first 15 min after startup.

	Rudmer

* Re: lost interrupt hell - Plea for Help
@ 2002-05-11  8:48             ` Rudmer van Dijk
From: Rudmer van Dijk @ 2002-05-11  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mikeH; +Cc: Erik Steffl, linux-kernel

Never tried to rip audio tracks... will try it after the weekend

I do have local APIC enabled, so it could be that the problem is there...
will build a kernel without apic (after the weekend)

	Rudmer

@ 2002-05-11  8:48         ` Erik Steffl
From: Erik Steffl @ 2002-05-11  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

mikeH wrote:

> You can try compiling without VIA chipset support, but it makes no
> difference.
> Now, with the latest prepatches, -ac patches and ide patches, I am
> getting spurious  "8259A interrupt: IRQ7."
> all over the place too. Seems like the linux kernel does not play well
> with AMD Cpus + VIA chipsets, which
> is a real shame as thats what all my machines are :(

  FWIW I have intel processor. It seems like the 'lost interrupt' while
ripping audio CDs is specific to VIA based motherboards.

	erik

@ 2002-05-11  8:53           ` mikeH
From: mikeH @ 2002-05-11  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rudmer van Dijk; +Cc: Erik Steffl, linux-kernel

@ 2002-05-16 20:50           ` Rudmer van Dijk
From: Rudmer van Dijk @ 2002-05-16 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mikeH, Erik Steffl; +Cc: linux-kernel

Sorry for the delay...

I build a 2.4.19-pre8-ac4 kernel without local apic and now after running
for 4 hours I still did NOT get the message "spurious 8259A interrupt:
IRQ7." while with apic enabled the message appears after ~3 min... so this
is local apic related.

This is an athlon on a SIS-chip mobo.

I also found this in dmesg:
PCI: PCI BIOS revision 2.10 entry at 0xfdb01, last bus=1
PCI: Using configuration type 1
PCI: Probing PCI hardware
Unknown bridge resource 0: assuming transparent
PCI: Using IRQ router SIS [1039/0008] at 00:02.0

and this from lspci:
00:00.0 Host bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS]: Unknown device 0735
(rev 01)

also related??

	Rudmer

@ 2002-05-17  8:49             ` Mike
From: Mike @ 2002-05-17  8:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rudmer van Dijk, Erik Steffl; +Cc: linux-kernel

Yeah, the spurious interrupt does seem to be an AMD apic problem, but the lost
interrupt (on ripping audio) seems to be a VIA chipset problem, as people
with KT266 chipsets are having boot problems / audio rip problems regardless
of the processor type. Lucky me, I get both ;)

mike

@ 2002-05-19  7:14               ` Erik Steffl
From: Erik Steffl @ 2002-05-19  7:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Mike wrote:

> Yeah, the spurious interrupt does seem to be an AMD apic problem, but the lost
> interrupt (on ripping audio) seems to be a VIA chipset problem, as people
> with KT266 chipsets are having boot problems / audio rip problems regardless
> of the processor type. Lucky me, I get both ;)

  doesn't anybody know what the problem is? while it was reported quite
a few times there was no helpful response to the problem (positive
(fix)or negative (it's unlikely to be fixed).

  I mean I would expect that somebody at least suspects what the problem
is and can say whether there is any chance it will be fixed or otherwise
shed some light on the problem. anything...

  I am talking about the via and audio ripping problem. I have tried
2.4.17, 2.4.18 and 2.4.18 with ide patches from linux-ide.org
(2.4.19-pr7 didn't compile)

  ?

  TIA

	erik

@ 2002-05-19 18:43                 ` Kevin P. Fleming
From: Kevin P. Fleming @ 2002-05-19 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Erik Steffl, linux-kernel

I have just switched motherboards in my file server, which previously had no
problems ripping audio from my Creative 52X drives. The new motherboard has
the KT266A chipset, but the CD drives are _not_ connected to that chipset's
IDE ports. I am getting "lost interrupt" messages when I try to rip audio
from the drives, or even mount ISO9660 discs (which do eventually succeed,
they just take over a minute to mount). So far I have done the following:

- turned off "dma" and "unmaskirq" for the CD drives
- tried ide-scsi/sg instead of ide-cd
- tried booting with "noapic"
- tried 2.4.19-pre8 and 2.4.19-pre8-ac4

Nothing has helped. The machine configuration is an MSI KT7266-Pro2RU
motherboard, KT266A chipset with on-board Promise PDC20265R FastTrak
"lite"). There is also a Promise PDC20262 (Ultra66TX2) in a PCI slot, and
that is where the CD drives are connected. Each CD drive is the master on
its channel, and one of them also has a Iomega ZIP 250 ATAPI drive as its
slave. Interestingly, the ZIP drive works perfectly, no "lost interrupt"
messages at all.

lspci output is below:

00:00.0 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8367 [KT266]
00:01.0 PCI bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8367 [KT266 AGP]
00:05.0 SCSI storage controller: Adaptec AHA-7850 (rev 03)
00:06.0 Ethernet controller: National Semiconductor Corporation DP83815
(MacPhyter) Ethernet Controller
00:07.0 Ethernet controller: Lite-On Communications Inc LNE100TX (rev 20)
00:08.0 Ethernet controller: National Semiconductor Corporation DP83820
10/100/1000 Ethernet Controller
00:09.0 Unknown mass storage controller: Promise Technology, Inc. 20262 (rev
01)
00:0b.0 USB Controller: NEC Corporation USB (rev 41)
00:0b.1 USB Controller: NEC Corporation USB (rev 41)
00:0b.2 USB Controller: NEC Corporation USB 2.0 (rev 02)
00:0c.0 RAID bus controller: Promise Technology, Inc. 20265 (rev 02)
00:11.0 ISA bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8233 PCI to ISA Bridge
00:11.1 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc. Bus Master IDE (rev 06)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Rage 128 RF/SG AGP

relevant sections of .config:

CONFIG_X86=y
CONFIG_ISA=y
CONFIG_UID16=y
CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL=y
CONFIG_MODULES=y
CONFIG_KMOD=y
CONFIG_MK7=y
CONFIG_X86_WP_WORKS_OK=y
CONFIG_X86_INVLPG=y
CONFIG_X86_CMPXCHG=y
CONFIG_X86_XADD=y
CONFIG_X86_BSWAP=y
CONFIG_X86_POPAD_OK=y
CONFIG_RWSEM_XCHGADD_ALGORITHM=y
CONFIG_X86_TSC=y
CONFIG_X86_GOOD_APIC=y
CONFIG_X86_USE_3DNOW=y
CONFIG_X86_PGE=y
CONFIG_X86_USE_PPRO_CHECKSUM=y
CONFIG_X86_MCE=y
CONFIG_NOHIGHMEM=y
CONFIG_MTRR=y
CONFIG_X86_UP_APIC=y
CONFIG_X86_UP_IOAPIC=y
CONFIG_X86_LOCAL_APIC=y
CONFIG_X86_IO_APIC=y
CONFIG_PCI=y
CONFIG_PCI_GODIRECT=y
CONFIG_PCI_DIRECT=y
CONFIG_PCI_NAMES=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDISK=y
CONFIG_IDEDISK_MULTI_MODE=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECD=m
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEFLOPPY=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDESCSI=m
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEPCI=y
CONFIG_IDEPCI_SHARE_IRQ=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA_PCI=y
CONFIG_IDEDMA_PCI_AUTO=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_PDC202XX=y
CONFIG_PDC202XX_BURST=y
CONFIG_PDC202XX_FORCE=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_VIA82CXXX=y
CONFIG_IDEDMA_AUTO=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE_MODES=y

@ 2002-05-20  8:42 ` Erik Steffl
From: Erik Steffl @ 2002-05-20  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Mikael Pettersson wrote:

> On Sun, 19 May 2002 00:14:42 -0700, Erik Steffl wrote:
> >> Yeah, the spurious interrupt does seem to be an AMD apic problem, but the lost
> >> interrupt (on ripping audio) seems to be a VIA chipset problem, as people
> >> with KT266 chipsets are having boot problems / audio rip problems regardless
> >> of the processor type. Lucky me, I get both ;)
> >
> >  doesn't anybody know what the problem is? while it was reported quite
> >a few times there was no helpful response to the problem (positive
> >(fix)or negative (it's unlikely to be fixed).
>
> As the person who added AMD K7 local APIC support to the kernel, I
> consider the _real_ problem to be the lack of adequate documentation.
> AMD has almost no documentation on the K7's machine-specific features,
> and VIA similarly don't seem keen on documenting their chipsets.
>
> If someone were to find AMD K7 documentation at the level of Intel's
> IA32 Volume 3 manual (245272-006), and AMD K7 errata docs at the level
> of Intel's PIII (244453-nn) and P4 (249199-nn) specification updates,
> then I'd be happy to look at the K7 spurious interrupt problem.

  is the same true for 'lost interrupt' during audio ripping problem? I
mean it is fairly specific command so it might not be so hard to debug.
I have no experience with kernel - is there info available to get me
started in right direction?

	erik

* Re: lost interrupt hell - Plea for Help
@ 2002-05-20  0:35 ` Kevin P. Fleming
From: Kevin P. Fleming @ 2002-05-20  0:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

From: Kevin P. Fleming @ 2002-05-19 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mikael Pettersson; +Cc: linux-kernel

OK, I'll move the CD drives to the VIA IDE ports and see what happens.
That'll be fun changing around boot drive assignments... And yes, my DVD
drive in my other machine is connected to another Promise Ultra66TX2, and it
works fine under Windows XP.

In the PCI listing, there is an Adaptec PCI SCSI card, but that's just for a
tape drive. I have four hard drives, all as masters (single devices) on the
VIA and FastTrak IDE channels.

Thanks for the info, I'll report back results after I get a chance to open
the machine up.

@ 2002-05-19 20:26 Mikael Pettersson
From: Mikael Pettersson @ 2002-05-19 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kevin; +Cc: linux-kernel

@ 2002-05-19 12:25 Mikael Pettersson
From: Mikael Pettersson @ 2002-05-19 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: steffl; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Sun, 19 May 2002 00:14:42 -0700, Erik Steffl wrote:
>> Yeah, the spurious interrupt does seem to be an AMD apic problem, but the lost
>> interrupt (on ripping audio) seems to be a VIA chipset problem, as people
>> with KT266 chipsets are having boot problems / audio rip problems regardless
>> of the processor type. Lucky me, I get both ;)
>
>  doesn't anybody know what the problem is? while it was reported quite
>a few times there was no helpful response to the problem (positive
>(fix)or negative (it's unlikely to be fixed).

As the person who added AMD K7 local APIC support to the kernel, I
consider the _real_ problem to be the lack of adequate documentation.
AMD has almost no documentation on the K7's machine-specific features,
and VIA similarly don't seem keen on documenting their chipsets.

If someone were to find AMD K7 documentation at the level of Intel's
IA32 Volume 3 manual (245272-006), and AMD K7 errata docs at the level
of Intel's PIII (244453-nn) and P4 (249199-nn) specification updates,
then I'd be happy to look at the K7 spurious interrupt problem.

Without documentation it's just guesswork, and I don't have time for that.

/Mikael