* Re:  BK MetaData License Problem?
@ 2002-10-06 12:40 Manfred Spraul
From: Manfred Spraul @ 2002-10-06 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ingo Molnar; +Cc: linux-kernel

>                              By transmitting the Metadata
>      to an Open Logging server, You hereby grant BitMover,
>      or any other operator of an Open Logging server, per-
>      mission  to  republish  the Metadata sent by the Bit-
>      Keeper Software to the Open Logging server.

Where is the problem? This asks for a permission, not for exclusive rights.

> 	By transmitting the MetaData to an Open Logging server, You
>         hereby also agree to license the MetaData under the same license
>         you license the data it describes.
>
> (or something to that extent - i'm not a lawyer.)

That's a problem for Linux, not for Larry.

If you send a patch to Linus this means you distribute a modification to
GPLed source, which means it's automatically placed under the GPL.

What's missing is a comment in the BK-usage document that informs the
submitter that he must give the permission to republish the commit info.
i.e. asking Linus to pull from an url is not a private message to Linus,
it's the equivalent of sending a mail to a public, moderated mailing list.

--
	Manfred

* RE: BK MetaData License Problem?
@ 2002-10-07  0:11 Hell.Surfers
From: Hell.Surfers @ 2002-10-07  0:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jbradford, mingo, mingo, linux-kernel

The file must be available for free, seperately if its not poss to include it, the source must say its a GPL, thats about it.

Cheers, Dean McEwan. Currently hacking KGI, which I don't understand, oh and ask me about OpenModemTalk...

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2183 bytes --]

From: jbradford@dial.pipex.com
To: mingo@elte.hu
Cc: mingo@elte.hu, linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: BK MetaData License Problem?
Date: Sun, 6 Oct 2002 15:23:38 +0100 (BST)

> until now the Linux kernel tree was distributed in a tarball that had a
> nice COPYING file in a very prominent spot. With BK the situation is
> different - and like i said in previous mails it's not BK's "fault", but
> BK's "effect" - and it's a situation that needs to be remedied, right?

Strictly speaking, isn't it a violation of the GPL for somebody to distribute a single file of any GPLed project, without attaching the COPYING file to it?

E.G. say somebody makes a CVS tree available via the web - you can download foobar.c without ever seeing the COPYING file.

John.
-

* Re: New BK License Problem?
@ 2002-10-06 10:59 David S. Miller
From: David S. Miller @ 2002-10-06 10:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mingo; +Cc: alan, lm, drepper, bcollins, torvalds, linux-kernel

   From: Ingo Molnar <mingo@elte.hu>
   Date: Sun, 6 Oct 2002 13:04:39 +0200 (CEST)

   i'm also a bit worried about the legal status of commit messages posted
   via bkbits. Are they GPL-ed automatically, can we just take them and put
   them into a free-BK type server? We already have one precedent of a
   business entity abusing a free OS project and then suing it (and winning
   the suit), hindering the free OS's development for years.

Larry has stated many times over that he doesn't own our bits.

That is why once you extract content from the repository into some
other form (a patch with the change logs prepended, for example) he
doesn't care what you do with it.

He even said this twice today.