* Re:  my dual channel DDR 400 RAM won't work on any linux distro
@ 2003-04-20 16:58 Walt H
From: Walt H @ 2003-04-20 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: admin; +Cc: linux-kernel

Do you perhaps have a video card with 128MB on board? I had the same
symptoms as you, and it turned out to be the vesafb driver. It basically
tries to ioremap the entire framebuffer and can't fit it in the reserved
area because it's only 128MB. You can either boot with vga=0 or some
such text mode, which disables the vesafb, or patch vesafb to only
ioremap the space needed for the video mode selected. BTW, the same
applies to rivafb and others I suspect, if your video card has 128MB ram.

-Walt

* my dual channel DDR 400 RAM won't work on any linux distro
@ 2003-04-16 14:59 Brien
From: Brien @ 2003-04-16 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

(I posted this on some forums and they recommended that I try here)

Hi,

I have a Gigabyte SINXP1394 motherboard, and 2 Kingston 512 MB DDR 400 (CL
2.5) RAM modules installed. Whenever I try to install any Linux
distribution, I always get a black screen after the kernel loads, when I
have dual channel enabled; If I take out 1 of the RAM modules (either one),
everything works as it should -- it's not a bad module (works perfectly
under Windows by the way). I can't disable dual channel without taking out
half of my RAM, and I really do not want to run with only half of it. Does
anyone have any idea how I can fix this problem, or is it something that
needs to be updated in the kernel?

Thanks for any info.