* Re: my dual channel DDR 400 RAM won't work on any linux distro
       [not found] <200304161511.h3GFBoe7000614@81-2-122-30.bradfords.org.uk>
@ 2003-04-16 15:41 ` Brien
                     ` (3 more replies)
From: Brien @ 2003-04-16 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Bradford; +Cc: linux-kernel

Hi again,

(Thanks for replying, John.)

I ran Memtest86, and there're 290 errors that showed up from test 7. But the
thing that I don't understand is, if I use either of the RAM modules alone,
Linux loads and runs perfectly for as long as I've tried; Could it possibly
be a problem with something besides the RAM (e.g. motherboard, CPU)? And I
still don't know if my RAM setup is even supported by Linux -- I'm guessing
that it is though (?).

From: Mr. James W. Laferriere @ 2003-04-16 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brien; +Cc: John Bradford, linux-kernel

	Hello Brian ,  Try this then run memtest86 against each mem stick
	seperately .  It sounds as if you tried both at the same time ?
		Hth ,  JimL

On Wed, 16 Apr 2003, Brien wrote:
> Hi again,
> (Thanks for replying, John.)
> I ran Memtest86, and there're 290 errors that showed up from test 7. But the
> thing that I don't understand is, if I use either of the RAM modules alone,
> Linux loads and runs perfectly for as long as I've tried; Could it possibly
> be a problem with something besides the RAM (e.g. motherboard, CPU)? And I
> still don't know if my RAM setup is even supported by Linux -- I'm guessing
> that it is though (?).

       | James   W.   Laferriere | System    Techniques | Give me VMS     |
       | Network        Engineer |     P.O. Box 854     |  Give me Linux  |
       | babydr@baby-dragons.com | Coudersport PA 16915 |   only  on  AXP |

* Re: my dual channel DDR 400 RAM won't work on any linux distro
@ 2003-04-16 15:58   ` Charles Cazabon
       [not found]   ` <1050506129.28586.121.camel@dhcp22.swansea.linux.org.uk>
From: Charles Cazabon @ 2003-04-16 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Brien <admin@brien.com> wrote:

> I ran Memtest86, and there're 290 errors that showed up from test 7. But the
> thing that I don't understand is, if I use either of the RAM modules alone,
> Linux loads and runs perfectly for as long as I've tried; Could it possibly
> be a problem with something besides the RAM (e.g. motherboard, CPU)?

Putting multiple modules in puts a higher load on the address and data lines
supplying the sockets; apparently those two modules are too much of a load for
your motherboard.  You didn't notice a problem in Windows because it doesn't
push the hardware quite as hard.

If your board supports registered (buffered) DIMMs, that would likely solve
your problem.

Charles
Charles Cazabon                            <linux@discworld.dyndns.org>
GPL'ed software available at:     http://www.qcc.ca/~charlesc/software/

* Re: my dual channel DDR 400 RAM won't work on any linux distro
@ 2003-04-16 16:10   ` Chris Friesen
       [not found]   ` <1050506129.28586.121.camel@dhcp22.swansea.linux.org.uk>
From: Chris Friesen @ 2003-04-16 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brien; +Cc: John Bradford, linux-kernel

Brien wrote:

> I ran Memtest86, and there're 290 errors that showed up from test 7. But the
> thing that I don't understand is, if I use either of the RAM modules alone,
> Linux loads and runs perfectly for as long as I've tried; Could it possibly
> be a problem with something besides the RAM (e.g. motherboard, CPU)? And I
> still don't know if my RAM setup is even supported by Linux -- I'm guessing
> that it is though (?).

Memory support is generally not something handled by the OS.

The more RAM modules you've got, the more reactance on the bus to memory. It may
be that the second module is loading down the bus enough that the mobo can't
keep up with the timings.  Try easing off a bit on the memory timings and/or
strengthening the memory drive strength.

Linux often shows up memory problems when M$ doesn't since it is a) more
aggressive in its use of memory, and b) capable of driving cpu and chipset
closer to their theoretical limits.

Chris

--
Chris Friesen                    | MailStop: 043/33/F10
Nortel Networks                  | work: (613) 765-0557

@ 2003-04-16 16:38     ` Brien
From: Brien @ 2003-04-16 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

The board supports up to 4 GB total (4 DIMM slots), DDR 400/333/266. I'm
normally using 2 * 512 MB DDR 400 on Single 128 bit mode. And the board's
been tested to support up to 4 of the modules that I have (
KVR400X64C25/512 ) shown at :
http://www.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/Support/TechnologyGuide/TechnologyGuide
_63.htm

motherboard link:
http://www.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/Products/Products_GA-SINXP1394(GA-8SQ80
0%20Ultra2).htm

I tested both modules seperately just minutes ago, AND GET NO ERRORS on
either one. The errors occur when I have both in.

I've tried running them different speeds (e.g. 333), and it made no
difference in what Linux did (black screened after kernel load).

From: John Bradford @ 2003-04-16 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brien; +Cc: linux-kernel

> The board supports up to 4 GB total (4 DIMM slots), DDR 400/333/266. I'm
> normally using 2 * 512 MB DDR 400 on Single 128 bit mode. And the board's
> been tested to support up to 4 of the modules that I have (
> KVR400X64C25/512 ) shown at :
> http://www.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/Support/TechnologyGuide/TechnologyGuide
> _63.htm
>
> motherboard link:
> http://www.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/Products/Products_GA-SINXP1394(GA-8SQ80
> 0%20Ultra2).htm
>
> I tested both modules seperately just minutes ago, AND GET NO ERRORS on
> either one. The errors occur when I have both in.
>
> I've tried running them different speeds (e.g. 333), and it made no
> difference in what Linux did (black screened after kernel load).

Do you get errors with Memtest86, with both DIMMs installed, and set
to run at 333?

Also, try checking the power supply volatages are within spec.

John.

* Re: my dual channel DDR 400 RAM won't work on any linux distro
@ 2003-04-16 18:15         ` Brien
From: Brien @ 2003-04-16 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Bradford; +Cc: linux-kernel

I've now tried running the following configurations
-both, with dual channel enabled @ 400
-both, with dual channel disabled @ 400
-both, with dual channel enabled @ 356
-both, with dual channel disabled @ 356
-both, with dual channel enabled @ 333
-both, with dual channel disabled @ 333
-one 400 @ 333 (A), with another module at @ 333 with dual channel disabled
-one 400 @ 333 (A), with another module at @ 333 with dual channel enabled
-one 400 @ 333 (B), with another module at @ 333 with dual channel disabled
-one 400 @ 333 (B), with another module at @ 333 with dual channel enabled
-two complete different modules, both DDR 333 @ 333 with dual channel
enabled
-two complete different modules, both DDR 333 @ 333 with dual channel
disabled
:::all of which are 512 MB each, and that the motherboard was tested to
support:::
and all of them have the same problem: black screen after kernel loads
they all do seem to test with errors when ran with another module, but they
also DO NOT test as errors when they're alone

I'm starting to think it's a problem with my motherboard rather than with
the RAM, because I've tried so many different ways and with different RAM
modules.. but I don't know for sure.. basically every time I try to run any
linux distribution, even if I type (mem=XXXM), it just doesn't work... I can
run some other operating systems without problems, but I know that e.g.
windows is less stressful etc.

hmm

@ 2003-04-16 19:28           ` John Bradford
From: John Bradford @ 2003-04-16 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brien; +Cc: John Bradford, linux-kernel

> I've now tried running the following configurations

[snip]

> and all of them have the same problem: black screen after kernel loads
> they all do seem to test with errors when ran with another module, but they
> also DO NOT test as errors when they're alone

OK...  Do you get the same locations failing with one pair of DIMMs as
with another identical pair of DIMMs, or is it just randomly flakey?

> I'm starting to think it's a problem with my motherboard rather than with
> the RAM, because I've tried so many different ways and with different RAM
> modules.. but I don't know for sure..

Are you sure it's not the power supply?  If the voltages are only just
within spec, you could concievably get the behavior you describe.

> basically every time I try to run any linux distribution, even if I
> type (mem=XXXM), it just doesn't work...

I wouldn't even bothing trying to run anything on a machine until it
runs Memtest86 for a couple of hours successfully.

John.

* Re: my dual channel DDR 400 RAM won't work on any linux distro
@ 2003-04-16 20:51             ` Brien
From: Brien @ 2003-04-16 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Bradford; +Cc: linux-kernel

> OK...  Do you get the same locations failing with one pair of DIMMs as
> with another identical pair of DIMMs, or is it just randomly flakey?

never seems to be the same
(maybe a few are, but they've never all been the same--I'd have to look
closely to match any addresses)

> Are you sure it's not the power supply?  If the voltages are only just
> within spec, you could concievably get the behavior you describe.

well, I have a 450 watt power supply that's rated for more than I'm
using--it very rarely even becomes warm after hours of use

the voltages go much higher than they need to; I've also tried adjusting
them and had the same problem

> I wouldn't even bothing trying to run anything on a machine until it
> runs Memtest86 for a couple of hours successfully.

I can with single modules, but not with 2..

I don't know what to do...

thanks for all of the comments/suggestions

@ 2003-04-17  8:12               ` John Bradford
From: John Bradford @ 2003-04-17  8:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brien; +Cc: John Bradford, linux-kernel

> > OK...  Do you get the same locations failing with one pair of DIMMs as
> > with another identical pair of DIMMs, or is it just randomly flakey?
>
> never seems to be the same
> (maybe a few are, but they've never all been the same--I'd have to look
> closely to match any addresses)

OK...

> > Are you sure it's not the power supply?  If the voltages are only just
> > within spec, you could concievably get the behavior you describe.
>
> well, I have a 450 watt power supply that's rated for more than I'm
> using--it very rarely even becomes warm after hours of use
>
> the voltages go much higher than they need to; I've also tried adjusting
> them and had the same problem

If you've got 10% or more over-voltage, I would be suspicious.

> > I wouldn't even bothing trying to run anything on a machine until it
> > runs Memtest86 for a couple of hours successfully.
>
> I can with single modules, but not with 2..
>
> I don't know what to do...

I would contact Gigabyte about it, and mention that your board with
that specific memory configuration fails Memtest86.

It's not a Linux specific problem.

> thanks for all of the comments/suggestions

No problem.  Let us know what happens.

John.

* Re: my dual channel DDR 400 RAM won't work on any linux distro
@ 2003-04-17 12:45       ` Alan Cox
From: Alan Cox @ 2003-04-17 12:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Iau, 2003-04-17 at 13:46, mbs wrote:
> <not flamebait, honest question>
> you hear this all the time, but do we really have any empirical evidence
> proving this, or is it just what we say to make ourselves feel good when
> Linux won't run on hardware that works fine under other os's?
> </not flamebait, honest question>

Yes, both evidence and in some cases explanation. As to the reasons
quoted in the original message those are probably less true now. Linux
has extremely optimised memory copiers - our AMD memory copiers broke
older VIA chipsets, it took several months until photoshop and other
specialist apps hit the same bug with their mmx/3dnow hand tuned effects
tools on windows and VIA actually fixed it.

Linux also allocates memory in very different patterns to Windows. So
a box that shows the odd crash in windows due to a memory error may show
repeated crashes in Linux an vice versa

* Re: my dual channel DDR 400 RAM won't work on any linux distro
@ 2003-04-17 12:46     ` mbs
From: mbs @ 2003-04-17 12:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Friesen, Brien; +Cc: John Bradford, linux-kernel

@ 2003-04-20 16:58 Walt H
From: Walt H @ 2003-04-20 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: admin; +Cc: linux-kernel

Do you perhaps have a video card with 128MB on board? I had the same
symptoms as you, and it turned out to be the vesafb driver. It basically
tries to ioremap the entire framebuffer and can't fit it in the reserved
area because it's only 128MB. You can either boot with vga=0 or some
such text mode, which disables the vesafb, or patch vesafb to only
ioremap the space needed for the video mode selected. BTW, the same
applies to rivafb and others I suspect, if your video card has 128MB ram.

-Walt

* RE: my dual channel DDR 400 RAM won't work on any linux distro
@ 2003-04-17  5:34   ` Peter Svensson
From: Peter Svensson @ 2003-04-17  5:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert White; +Cc: Brien, linux-kernel

On Wed, 16 Apr 2003, Robert White wrote:

> The BS layman's speak they gave me at the store was that they had seen a lot
> of cases where having "double sided SIMMs" (they were oh-so-usefully
> classifying the memory based on whether there were chips on just one side,
> or on both sides of the circuit card 8-) in the second and subsequent slots
> never worked.

This is actually a perfectly resonable thing to do. Twice the number of
chips (and for double-sided modules with stacked chips four times) will
load the address bus with twice (our four times) the capacitance. Thus the
siganl flanks will become less and less well defined when adding more
chips on the bus until some access patterns start to give bad results.

Some motherboards, mostly servers, specify registered memories that have a
buffer circuit to greatly reduce the load on the line drivers. More
serious technical details from at least some motherboards will specify
that only a maximum number of chip-loads are possible. Since there are
only a few address bus driver chipsets the same limitations apply to most
motherboards. The manefacturer can play some games with voltages and
buffer strentghs but only so much. At high speeds and several stacked-chip
modules you really need registered modules.

Peter
--
Peter Svensson      ! Pgp key available by finger, fingerprint:
<petersv@psv.nu>    ! 8A E9 20 98 C1 FF 43 E3  07 FD B9 0A 80 72 70 AF

* Re: my dual channel DDR 400 RAM won't work on any linux distro
@ 2003-04-17  1:16     ` Mike Dresser
From: Mike Dresser @ 2003-04-17  1:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

On Wed, 16 Apr 2003 root@mauve.demon.co.uk wrote:

> This has a little basis in fact.
>
> "Double sided SIMMs" can have higher capacitances on the data lines, as there
> are more pins connected to the socket.
> This means more loading, especially at high speed.
>
> Add in marginal designs, and it can make a difference.

As well, these usually use two banks of memory.

I have a pair of crucial 256 meg sticks in my home pc, one is single sided
and one is double sided.  when I decide that 512 meg isn't enough, I have
to make sure I get a stick that uses only one bank of ram, as my ASUS
p4B533-e shares DIMM2 and DIMM3's banks.  You can only have single sided
dimms in it if you want to use both at once.

Mike

* Re: my dual channel DDR 400 RAM won't work on any linux distro
@ 2003-04-16 22:05   ` root
From: root @ 2003-04-16 22:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert White; +Cc: linux-kernel

@ 2003-04-16 21:01   ` Brien
From: Brien @ 2003-04-16 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert White; +Cc: linux-kernel

>but I suspect it has to do with
> tolerances, timing, and evil gremlins that live under SIMMs and exact a
toll
> on non-union data

darn those gremlins! have any repellent?

(sorry if this seems like junk to some people--not going to make it a habit)

> I had one-hell of a problem myself relating to memory on my new cutting
edge
> motherboard.  The problem, it turned out, had everything to do with the
> motherboard and the often marginal quality of the ram.  Much investigation
> revealed that there were only a few manufacturers of ram that the MoBoard
> would "support"
>
> In lay speak, I could put any damn thing I wanted into the first slot, but
> anything I did with the second and subsequent slots went all haywire.
>
> The BS layman's speak they gave me at the store was that they had seen a
lot
> of cases where having "double sided SIMMs" (they were oh-so-usefully
> classifying the memory based on whether there were chips on just one side,
> or on both sides of the circuit card 8-) in the second and subsequent
slots
> never worked.
>
> Translating that somewhat vague set of observations by less than top-shelf
> observers, and the really scavenging across the manufacturer site where
they
> listed the specific manufacturer and model numbers of supported SIMs which
> were only compatible in specific sets.  (e.g. two of "these" or three of
> "those" with no mix-and-match.)  This netted me the following wisdom:
>
> 1) Mother Board claims of "up to N gig" are highly contingent.
> 2) It is nearly impossible to find those contingencies.
> 3) That is especially true before purchase.
> 4) The conformant products were all high end components.
>
> This further suggests:
>
> 5) Manufacturers are not being completely scrupulous WRT Standards
> conformance.
> 6) Retailers are not well educated about the limits induced by #5.
> 7) If you want a given amount of memory, make sure you get it all on one
> SIMM, on in a matched set, or pre-installed by someone who has the
resources
> to match a set for you.
>
> 8) Individual experience varies *WIDELY* even with the same brand and
model
> of MoBoard and SIMM.
>
> 9) <sarcasm> This is probably a plot to force people to buy the
over-priced
> 1Gig SIMMs instead of a pair of reasonably priced 512K SIMMs </sarcasm>
>
> I don't know the "real cause"(tm) but I suspect it has to do with
> tolerances, timing, and evil gremlins that live under SIMMs and exact a
toll
> on non-union data.  At these speeds 1-half of one percent error can exceed
> the noise-floor almost immediately.
>
> Rob.

@ 2003-04-16 20:53 ` Robert White
                     ` (2 more replies)

@ 2003-04-16 16:51 ` Bruce Harada
From: Bruce Harada @ 2003-04-16 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brien; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Wed, 16 Apr 2003 10:59:07 -0400
"Brien" <admin@brien.com> wrote:

> (I posted this on some forums and they recommended that I try here)
>
> Hi,
>
> I have a Gigabyte SINXP1394 motherboard, and 2 Kingston 512 MB DDR 400 (CL
> 2.5) RAM modules installed. Whenever I try to install any Linux
> distribution, I always get a black screen after the kernel loads, when I
> have dual channel enabled; If I take out 1 of the RAM modules (either one),
> everything works as it should -- it's not a bad module (works perfectly
> under Windows by the way).

A couple of things to try:
 - Put in both sticks, try booting from a distribution and pass the
   bootloader "mem=960M" as a parameter at the prompt.
 - Just to make sure it's not a memory problem, grab memtest86
   (http://www.memtest86.com/) and try running it for a few hours.
   Unlikely, but you never know.

* my dual channel DDR 400 RAM won't work on any linux distro
@ 2003-04-16 14:59 Brien