* Re: Asus CD-S520/A kernel I/O error
@ 2003-06-28 19:22 Marco Ferra
From: Marco Ferra @ 2003-06-28 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Although it seems that all the cd's were recorded at TAO mode the read
error does happen randomly at the middle of the cd's.  Or I think that
is on the middle.  I will test this right away.
Nevertheless it doesn't justify the same error with a cd burned with nero.

Best regards
Marco

* Re: Asus CD-S520/A kernel I/O error
@ 2003-06-28 20:15 Marco Ferra
From: Marco Ferra @ 2003-06-28 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

You were right once more.  I was using the cdrecord version 1.10 shiped
with Debian 3.0 (woody).  After compiling the latest
cdrtools-2.00.3.tar.gz and grasping the manpage I could see the -raw96r
option.  Now the final test is to burn the cd.  But I'm sure that all be
fine.

Once again I can't thank you enough.  This 'strange' error have been killing
my brain cells all day.

My best regards, Marco.

* Re: Asus CD-S520/A kernel I/O error
@ 2003-06-28 20:03 ` Markus Plail
From: Markus Plail @ 2003-06-28 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

On Sat, 28 Jun 2003, Marco Ferra wrote:

> It is _always_ at the end.  -raw96r doesn't seem to exist

Then you must have an old, or as Joerg would put it, ancient version.

> but reading the README.verify file the -pad argument option was
> mentioned.  Learning from the manpage it seems that this option can be
> used to correct this situation.

I don't think so. -pad is normally only for audio cds, IIRC. You could
also try -dao, which will work as long as your burners firmware isn't
b0rked, as it was with my acer 2010.

> I will get a blank cd tomorrow to try it.  Thanks a lot.  Tell me just
> more one thing using the data contained in the cd's recorded this way
> is bad?  Or can it be used normally? (I always used them and seemed
> OK).

The data is all good. And as lond as you don't use readcd or dd or
something similiar you won't realize the bug.

regards
Markus

* Re: Asus CD-S520/A kernel I/O error
@ 2003-06-28 19:54 Marco Ferra
From: Marco Ferra @ 2003-06-28 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

It is _always_ at the end.  -raw96r doesn't seem to exist but reading
the README.verify file the -pad argument option was mentioned.  Learning
from the manpage it seems that this option can be used to correct this
situation.  I will get a blank cd tomorrow to try it.  Thanks a lot.

@ 2003-06-28 19:13 ` Markus Plail
From: Markus Plail @ 2003-06-28 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

On Sat, 28 Jun 2003, Marco Ferra wrote:

> Something's wrong on the kernels ide/atapi interface for cd-rom's.  I
> got a Asus CD-S520/A and it seems that I can't sweep from the
> beginning to the end of the CD without getting a sense error.
> Commands like:
>
> dd if=/dev/scd0 of=/file.iso
> dd if=/dev/hdc of=/file.iso
>
> give
>
> ---
>
> Jun 28 19:28:33 deneb kernel:  I/O error: dev 0b:00, sector 1159912
> Jun 28 19:28:33 deneb kernel:  I/O error: dev 0b:00, sector 1160064
>
> (note) the sectors do change if I change de medium, but on the same
> medium the falty sectores are always the same.  All the cd's are in
> top conditions without a scratch and clean.

Does this happen in the middle of a CD or always at the end? If tha
latter is the case have a look at cdrecords README.verify. Then you are
bitten by the TAO readahead bug. Try to burn a CD with -raw96r.

regards
Markus

* Asus CD-S520/A kernel I/O error
@ 2003-06-28 19:00 Marco Ferra
From: Marco Ferra @ 2003-06-28 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Something's wrong on the kernels ide/atapi interface for cd-rom's.  I
got a Asus CD-S520/A and it seems that I can't sweep from the beginning
to the end of the CD without getting a sense error.  Commands like:

dd if=/dev/scd0 of=/file.iso
dd if=/dev/hdc of=/file.iso

give

---

Jun 28 19:28:33 deneb kernel:  I/O error: dev 0b:00, sector 1159912
Jun 28 19:28:33 deneb kernel:  I/O error: dev 0b:00, sector 1160064

(note)
the sectors do change if I change de medium, but on the same medium the
falty sectores are always the same.  All the cd's are in top conditions
without a scratch and clean.

---

(with and without the scsi emulation) are pointless.  On my former HP
9100c cdr/rw writer and Phillips 40x reader this didn't happen.  What is
also curious is that original brand cd's (like a game or the maxim's cd
data catalog) is red 100% by this Asus cd reader.  I thought is as not
an error with the interface but with cdrecord but after testing a cd
burned with nero (windows os) the same happened.  If I change brands the
same happens too (tested TDK and Sony).

As a final note it seems that when mounted the cd can be accessed
perfectly (or so it seems).

I would write a patch/workaround myself but it seems that I can't
understand this behaviour.

Hoping that this report was useful.. best regards, Marco Ferra.

--- Debian GNU/Linux 3.0r1 ---

My configuration:

Motherboard: ASUS CUV4X

cat /proc/version
Linux version 2.4.18 (root@deneb) (gcc version 2.95.4 20011002 (Debian
prerelease)) #1 Mon Jun 23 00:27:00 WEST 2003

cat /proc/version
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 8
model name      : Pentium III (Coppermine)
stepping        : 3
cpu MHz         : 701.626
cache size      : 256 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 2
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca
cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse
bogomips        : 1399.19

cat /proc/modules
ipt_state                576   2
ipt_mac                  640   0 (unused)
ipt_limit                960   0 (unused)
ipt_LOG                 3072   0 (unused)
ip_conntrack_irc        2400   0 (unused)
ip_conntrack_ftp        3136   0 (unused)
ip_conntrack           12884   3 [ipt_state ip_conntrack_irc
ip_conntrack_ftp]
mga                   102480   1
agpgart                12448   3

(note: scsi emulation is directly on the kernel image)

cat /proc/ioports

0000-001f : dma1
0020-003f : pic1
0040-005f : timer
0060-006f : keyboard
0080-008f : dma page reg
00a0-00bf : pic2
00c0-00df : dma2
00f0-00ff : fpu
0170-0177 : ide1
01f0-01f7 : ide0
02f8-02ff : serial(set)
0376-0376 : ide1
0378-037a : parport0
03c0-03df : vga+
03f6-03f6 : ide0
03f8-03ff : serial(set)
0cf8-0cff : PCI conf1
b400-b43f : Ensoniq ES1371 [AudioPCI-97]
  b400-b43f : es1371
b800-b8ff : Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139
  b800-b8ff : 8139too
d000-d01f : VIA Technologies, Inc. UHCI USB (#2)
  d000-d01f : usb-uhci
d400-d41f : VIA Technologies, Inc. UHCI USB
  d400-d41f : usb-uhci
d800-d80f : VIA Technologies, Inc. Bus Master IDE
  d800-d807 : ide0
  d808-d80f : ide1
e400-e4ff : VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C686 [Apollo Super ACPI]
e800-e80f : VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C686 [Apollo Super ACPI]

cat /proc/iomem
00000000-0009fbff : System RAM
0009fc00-0009ffff : reserved
000a0000-000bffff : Video RAM area
000c0000-000c7fff : Video ROM
000f0000-000fffff : System ROM
00100000-13febfff : System RAM
  00100000-002343e9 : Kernel code
  002343ea-00292b77 : Kernel data
13fec000-13feefff : ACPI Tables
13fef000-13ffefff : reserved
13fff000-13ffffff : ACPI Non-volatile Storage
f8000000-f80000ff : Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139
  f8000000-f80000ff : 8139too
f8800000-f9efffff : PCI Bus #01
  f8800000-f8ffffff : Matrox Graphics, Inc. MGA G400 AGP
  f9000000-f9003fff : Matrox Graphics, Inc. MGA G400 AGP
f9f00000-fbffffff : PCI Bus #01
  fa000000-fbffffff : Matrox Graphics, Inc. MGA G400 AGP
fc000000-fdffffff : VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8605 [ProSavage PM133]
ffff0000-ffffffff : reserved

cat /proc/scsi/scsi
Attached devices:
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: ASUS     Model: CD-S520/A        Rev: 2.0K
  Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02