* evms or lvm?
@ 2003-08-23  9:31 Voicu Liviu
From: Voicu Liviu @ 2003-08-23  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

* Re: evms or lvm?
@ 2003-08-23 10:18 ` Jose Luis Domingo Lopez
From: Jose Luis Domingo Lopez @ 2003-08-23 10:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

On Saturday, 23 August 2003, at 12:31:43 +0300,
Voicu Liviu wrote:

> I'm planing to move to 2.6x kernels and I don't know what should I use,
> lvm or evms, any 1 could help me to decide?
> I've heard that evms will not continue with 2.6, is it true?
> Best regards

2.6.0 will have many changes with respect to LVM and EVMS. LVM is
updated to newer version 2 (LVM2), based on DM (Device Mapper), sort of
a simplified in-kernel LVM that just handles discovering the drives.
Updated userspace utilities (LVM2) are already available to drive this.

On the other part, EVMS was completely redesigned. Former EVMS
implementation was duplicating too much code, and in general it was
regarded as a bad implementation on a very good idea, so the people at
IBM in charge on EVMS development took what it look to everyone as a
very clever move, and for 2.6.x they implemented EVMS on top of DM. User
space utilities for EVMS are (from the user's point of view) the same as
before, but now the inner details are different: no reimplementation of
software RAID, no reimplementation of LVM, etc.

Have a look at both projects websites to get more accurate and detailled
information about them:
http://evms.sourceforge.net/
http://www.sistina.com/products_lvm.htm

Jose Luis Domingo Lopez
Linux Registered User #189436     Debian Linux Sid (Linux 2.6.0-test3-mm2)

* Re: evms or lvm?
@ 2003-08-23 13:47   ` Wakko Warner
From: Wakko Warner @ 2003-08-23 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

> 2.6.0 will have many changes with respect to LVM and EVMS. LVM is
> updated to newer version 2 (LVM2), based on DM (Device Mapper), sort of
> a simplified in-kernel LVM that just handles discovering the drives.
> Updated userspace utilities (LVM2) are already available to drive this.
>
> On the other part, EVMS was completely redesigned. Former EVMS
> implementation was duplicating too much code, and in general it was
> regarded as a bad implementation on a very good idea, so the people at
> IBM in charge on EVMS development took what it look to everyone as a
> very clever move, and for 2.6.x they implemented EVMS on top of DM. User
> space utilities for EVMS are (from the user's point of view) the same as
> before, but now the inner details are different: no reimplementation of
> software RAID, no reimplementation of LVM, etc.

I noticed the kernel doesn't have LVM as an option now.  Does both projects
just use the DM from userspace?

* Re: evms or lvm?
@ 2003-08-23 14:16     ` Wichert Akkerman
From: Wichert Akkerman @ 2003-08-23 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Previously Wakko Warner wrote:
> I noticed the kernel doesn't have LVM as an option now.  Does both projects
> just use the DM from userspace?

Yes.

Wichert.

--
Wichert Akkerman <wichert@wiggy.net>    It is simple to make things.

* Re: evms or lvm?
@ 2003-08-23 15:24       ` Voicu Liviu
From: Voicu Liviu @ 2003-08-23 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wichert Akkerman; +Cc: linux-kernel

* Re: evms or lvm?
@ 2003-08-23 21:27         ` Jose Luis Domingo Lopez
From: Jose Luis Domingo Lopez @ 2003-08-23 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

On Saturday, 23 August 2003, at 18:24:36 +0300,
Voicu Liviu wrote:

> Ok, what this means? Just to be sure I've understand...
> Thanks

In 2.6.x there is just support for Device Mapper. From "Multi-device
support (RAID and LVM)" you can see:
  x x        <M>   Device mapper support
  x x        [*]     ioctl interface version 4

Both LVM2 and EVMS (from version 2.0.0) use Device Mapper. For LVM2 you
just need to get updated userspace tools from your vendor or directly
from www.sistina.com. For EVMS to work, see:
http://evms.sourceforge.net/install-2.0.html

--
Jose Luis Domingo Lopez
Linux Registered User #189436     Debian Linux Sid (Linux 2.6.0-test4)