* New thread RDSL, post-2.6.20 kernels and amanda (tar) miss-fires
@ 2007-03-13  8:28 Gene Heskett
From: Gene Heskett @ 2007-03-13  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Greetings;
Someone suggested a fresh thread for this.

I now have my scripts more or less under control, and I can report that
kernel-2.6.20.1 with no other patches does not exhibit the undesirable
behaviour where tar thinks its all new, even when told to do a level 2 on
a directory tree that hasn't been touched in months to update anything.

Next up, 2.6.20.2, plain and with the latest RDSL-0.30 patch.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
> Alan Cox wrote:
[..]

No I didnt.  Someone else wrote that.  Please keep attributions
straight.
	-- From linux-kernel

* Re: New thread RDSL, post-2.6.20 kernels and amanda (tar) miss-fires
@ 2007-03-13 18:36 ` Gene Heskett
From: Gene Heskett @ 2007-03-13 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

On Tuesday 13 March 2007, Gene Heskett wrote:
>Greetings;
>Someone suggested a fresh thread for this.
>
>I now have my scripts more or less under control, and I can report that
>kernel-2.6.20.1 with no other patches does not exhibit the undesirable
>behaviour where tar thinks its all new, even when told to do a level 2
> on a directory tree that hasn't been touched in months to update
> anything.
>
>Next up, 2.6.20.2, plain and with the latest RDSL-0.30 patch.

And amanda/tar worked normally for 2.6.20.2 plain.

Next up, 2.6.21-rc1 if it will build here.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

* Re: New thread RDSL, post-2.6.20 kernels and amanda (tar) miss-fires
@ 2007-03-14  3:31   ` Gene Heskett
From: Gene Heskett @ 2007-03-14  3:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

On Tuesday 13 March 2007, Gene Heskett wrote:
>On Tuesday 13 March 2007, Gene Heskett wrote:
>>Greetings;
>>Someone suggested a fresh thread for this.
>>
>>I now have my scripts more or less under control, and I can report that
>>kernel-2.6.20.1 with no other patches does not exhibit the undesirable
>>behaviour where tar thinks its all new, even when told to do a level 2
>> on a directory tree that hasn't been touched in months to update
>> anything.
>>
>>Next up, 2.6.20.2, plain and with the latest RDSL-0.30 patch.
>
>And amanda/tar worked normally for 2.6.20.2 plain.
>
>Next up, 2.6.21-rc1 if it will build here.

It built, it booted, and its busted big time.  First, with an amdump
running in the background, the machine is so close to unusable that I
considered rebooting, but I needed the data to show the problem.  I am
losing the keyboard and mouse for a minute or more at a time but the
keystrokes seem to be being registered so it eventually catches up.

Disk i/o seems to be the killer according to gkrellm.

But to give one an idea of the fits this is giving tar, I'll snip a line
or 2 from an amstatus report here:
coyote:/GenesAmandaHelper-0.6 1 planner: [dumps way too big, 138200 KB,
must skip incremental dumps]

Huh?  138.2GB?  A 'du -h .' in that dir says 766megs.

coyote:/root                  1     4426m wait for dumping
du -h says 5.0GB so that's ballpark, but its also a level 1, so maybe 20
megs is actually new since 15:57 this afternoon local.  kmails final
maildir is in that dir.

This goes on for much of the amstatus report, very few of the reported
sizes are close to sane.

Now, can someone suggest a patch I can revert that might fix this?  The
total number of patches between 2.6.20 and 2.6.21-rc1 will have me
building kernels to bisect this till the middle of June at this rate.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

* Re: New thread RDSL, post-2.6.20 kernels and amanda (tar) miss-fires
@ 2007-03-14  5:07     ` William Lee Irwin III
From: William Lee Irwin III @ 2007-03-14  5:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gene Heskett; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Tue, Mar 13, 2007 at 11:31:53PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> Now, can someone suggest a patch I can revert that might fix this?  The
> total number of patches between 2.6.20 and 2.6.21-rc1 will have me
> building kernels to bisect this till the middle of June at this rate.

4 billion patches could be bisected in 34 boots. Between 2.6.20 and
2.6.21-rc1 there are only:

$ git rev-list --no-merges v2.6.20..v2.6.21-rc1  |wc -l
3118

patches, requiring 14 boots. In general ceil(log(n)/log(2))+2 boots.

Of course, this is a little optimistic because it assumes no additional
breakage occurring at the various bisection points. In any event,
assuming (pessimistically) 10 minutes per build, this is 280 minutes or
4 hours and 40 minutes of build time. I estimate the process should
complete well before Friday of this week, never mind June.

-- wli

* Re: New thread RDSL, post-2.6.20 kernels and amanda (tar) miss-fires
@ 2007-03-14  5:44       ` William Lee Irwin III
From: William Lee Irwin III @ 2007-03-14  5:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gene Heskett; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Tue, Mar 13, 2007 at 10:07:21PM -0700, William Lee Irwin III wrote:
> 4 billion patches could be bisected in 34 boots. Between 2.6.20 and
> 2.6.21-rc1 there are only:
> $ git rev-list --no-merges v2.6.20..v2.6.21-rc1  |wc -l
> 3118
> patches, requiring 14 boots. In general ceil(log(n)/log(2))+2 boots.
> Of course, this is a little optimistic because it assumes no additional
> breakage occurring at the various bisection points. In any event,
> assuming (pessimistically) 10 minutes per build, this is 280 minutes or
> 4 hours and 40 minutes of build time. I estimate the process should
> complete well before Friday of this week, never mind June.

33 boots for 4 billion, 13 boots for 3118, ceil(log(n)/log(2))+1 boots
in general, 10 minutes/build gives 130 minutes or 2 hours, 10 minutes
for 13 boots. I have no plausible explanation for these errors, and
don't care to be told of any, either.

-- wli

* Re: New thread RDSL, post-2.6.20 kernels and amanda (tar) miss-fires
@ 2007-03-14  6:09       ` Gene Heskett
From: Gene Heskett @ 2007-03-14  6:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel; +Cc: William Lee Irwin III

On Wednesday 14 March 2007, William Lee Irwin III wrote:
>On Tue, Mar 13, 2007 at 11:31:53PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Now, can someone suggest a patch I can revert that might fix this?
>> The total number of patches between 2.6.20 and 2.6.21-rc1 will have me
>> building kernels to bisect this till the middle of June at this rate.
>
>4 billion patches could be bisected in 34 boots. Between 2.6.20 and
>2.6.21-rc1 there are only:
>
>$ git rev-list --no-merges v2.6.20..v2.6.21-rc1  |wc -l
>3118
>
>patches, requiring 14 boots. In general ceil(log(n)/log(2))+2 boots.
>
>Of course, this is a little optimistic because it assumes no additional
>breakage occurring at the various bisection points. In any event,
>assuming (pessimistically) 10 minutes per build, this is 280 minutes or
>4 hours and 40 minutes of build time. I estimate the process should
>complete well before Friday of this week, never mind June.

Chuckle, sorry to disappoint you wli, on that 32 cpu Niagra Con was
calling 'poor equipment', maybe.

Even using  ccache, its about 15-18 minutes per build, with another 10 to
edit my build script and construct the kernel tree with the proper
patches applied.  Then a reboot, probably 10 minutes by the time I get
the nvidia driver installed for the new kernel and get startx'd, then its
another 2 hours or a bit less for an amanda run to test it.

I've posted to the amanda lists too, so they will be aware of it.  And
because an ls -lc returns perfectly sane values for the mtimes and sizes,
I suspect the real problem may not necessarily be 100% kernel related.  I
have been intermittently ranting because both the tar api stir, and the
return from tar are such a moving target that the developers are having a
hard time staying ahead of the changes to tar, backward compatibility it
seems, is the furthest thing from the tar maintainers minds.  The most
recent change that I'm aware of is that tar now returns a 1 for success!
What the heck were those guys at gnu.org thinking?  Or smoking as the
case may be.

I obviously have a copy of the -rc1 patch in its entirety that I could
peruse, but I'm not sure I would recognize a change that would effect tar
if it bit me, hence the questions here to those who are far more
conversant than I.

As I've said on several occasions William, at my age, the best part I can
play here is the Canary, in the coal mine scene, and something strange in
the air of 2.6.21* just killed me.  It's now up to the coroner(s) to
determine the cause, and he has several dozen very very able assistants
monitoring this list in my NSH opinion.  Whatever, either tar, or this
particular board in the kernels architecture surely needs fixed before
2.6.21 final.  I don't even know if gnu.org has a bugzilla setup, but
I'll look around tomorrow night as I'm tied up now till late tomorrow.
If they do, I'll file it.

But, I'm also amazed that no one else has been bitten.  Don't any of you
ever make a backup using tar for the pack mule?

Thanks William.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

* Re: New thread RDSL, post-2.6.20 kernels and amanda (tar) miss-fires
@ 2007-03-14  6:19         ` William Lee Irwin III
From: William Lee Irwin III @ 2007-03-14  6:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gene Heskett; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Wed, Mar 14, 2007 at 02:09:57AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> Chuckle, sorry to disappoint you wli, on that 32 cpu Niagra Con was
> calling 'poor equipment', maybe.
> Even using  ccache, its about 15-18 minutes per build, with another 10 to
> edit my build script and construct the kernel tree with the proper
> patches applied.  Then a reboot, probably 10 minutes by the time I get
> the nvidia driver installed for the new kernel and get startx'd, then its
> another 2 hours or a bit less for an amanda run to test it.

2 hours, 48 minutes times 13 boots (see the correction post) is 36
hours, 24 minutes. One attempt a day (24 hours instead of 2 hours, 48
minutes) yyields 2 weeks. So you're still done by April, not June.

-- wli

* Re: New thread RDSL, post-2.6.20 kernels and amanda (tar) miss-fires
@ 2007-03-14 14:54           ` Gene Heskett
From: Gene Heskett @ 2007-03-14 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel; +Cc: William Lee Irwin III

On Wednesday 14 March 2007, William Lee Irwin III wrote:

>> >4 billion patches could be bisected in 34 boots. Between 2.6.20 and
>> >2.6.21-rc1 there are only:
>> >
>> >$ git rev-list --no-merges v2.6.20..v2.6.21-rc1  |wc -l
>> >3118
>> >
>> >patches, requiring 14 boots. In general ceil(log(n)/log(2))+2 boots.
>> >
>> >Of course, this is a little optimistic because it assumes no
>> > additional breakage occurring at the various bisection points. In
>> > any event, assuming (pessimistically) 10 minutes per build, this is
>> > 280 minutes or 4 hours and 40 minutes of build time. I estimate the
>> > process should complete well before Friday of this week, never mind
>> > June.
>
>On Wed, Mar 14, 2007 at 02:09:57AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Chuckle, sorry to disappoint you wli, on that 32 cpu Niagra Con was
>> calling 'poor equipment', maybe.
>> Even using  ccache, its about 15-18 minutes per build, with another 10
>> to edit my build script and construct the kernel tree with the proper
>> patches applied.  Then a reboot, probably 10 minutes by the time I get
>> the nvidia driver installed for the new kernel and get startx'd, then
>> its another 2 hours or a bit less for an amanda run to test it.
>
>2 hours, 48 minutes times 13 boots (see the correction post) is 36
>hours, 24 minutes. One attempt a day (24 hours instead of 2 hours, 48
>minutes) yyields 2 weeks. So you're still done by April, not June.

Back to the original theme of this thread, 2.6.20.3 works, now I'm booted
to 2.6.20.3-rdsl-0.30 and trying that.  And 10 minutes into it, its going
to be good from the looks of an amstatus report.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

* Re: New thread RDSL, post-2.6.20 kernels and amanda (tar) miss-fires
@ 2007-03-14 21:49     ` Ray Lee
From: Ray Lee @ 2007-03-14 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gene Heskett; +Cc: linux-kernel

On 3/13/07, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 13 March 2007, Gene Heskett wrote:
> >On Tuesday 13 March 2007, Gene Heskett wrote:
> >>Greetings;
> >>Someone suggested a fresh thread for this.
> >>
> >>I now have my scripts more or less under control, and I can report that
> >>kernel-2.6.20.1 with no other patches does not exhibit the undesirable
> >>behaviour where tar thinks its all new, even when told to do a level 2
> >> on a directory tree that hasn't been touched in months to update
> >> anything.
> >>
> >>Next up, 2.6.20.2, plain and with the latest RDSL-0.30 patch.
> >
> >And amanda/tar worked normally for 2.6.20.2 plain.
> >
> >Next up, 2.6.21-rc1 if it will build here.
>
> It built, it booted, and its busted big time.  First, with an amdump
> running in the background, the machine is so close to unusable that I
> considered rebooting, but I needed the data to show the problem.  I am
> losing the keyboard and mouse for a minute or more at a time but the
> keystrokes seem to be being registered so it eventually catches up.
>
> Disk i/o seems to be the killer according to gkrellm.
>
> But to give one an idea of the fits this is giving tar, I'll snip a line
> or 2 from an amstatus report here:
> coyote:/GenesAmandaHelper-0.6 1 planner: [dumps way too big, 138200 KB,
> must skip incremental dumps]
>
> Huh?  138.2GB?  A 'du -h .' in that dir says 766megs.
>
> coyote:/root                  1     4426m wait for dumping
> du -h says 5.0GB so that's ballpark, but its also a level 1, so maybe 20
> megs is actually new since 15:57 this afternoon local.  kmails final
> maildir is in that dir.
>
> This goes on for much of the amstatus report, very few of the reported
> sizes are close to sane.
>
> Now, can someone suggest a patch I can revert that might fix this?  The
> total number of patches between 2.6.20 and 2.6.21-rc1 will have me
> building kernels to bisect this till the middle of June at this rate.

In a previous email, you said you were using ext3. If that's the case,
there doesn't appear to be much going on in terms of patches between
2.6.20 and 2.6.21-rc1. The only one that even comes close to looking
like it might have an effect would only come in to play if you have a
filesystem that has ACL information, but is mounted by a kernel that
doesn't have ACL support.

I have to echo wli here, I'm afraid, and recommend at least a *few*
bisections to help narrow down the list of suspect patches.

There are tutorials out there for git users. I use the mercurial
repository, as I find the mercurial interface and workflow a lot more
intuitive, but it has the same capability.

Even 2-5 bisections will greatly help others hunt the bug down.

Ray

* Re: New thread RDSL, post-2.6.20 kernels and amanda (tar) miss-fires
@ 2007-03-15  3:12       ` Gene Heskett
From: Gene Heskett @ 2007-03-15  3:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel, ray-gmail

On Wednesday 14 March 2007, Ray Lee wrote:
>On 3/13/07, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@gmail.com> wrote:

>> >And amanda/tar worked normally for 2.6.20.2 plain.
>> >
>> >Next up, 2.6.21-rc1 if it will build here.
>>
>> It built, it booted, and its busted big time.  First, with an amdump
>> running in the background, the machine is so close to unusable that I
>> considered rebooting, but I needed the data to show the problem.  I am
>> losing the keyboard and mouse for a minute or more at a time but the
>> keystrokes seem to be being registered so it eventually catches up.
>>
>> Disk i/o seems to be the killer according to gkrellm.
>>
>> But to give one an idea of the fits this is giving tar, I'll snip a
>> line or 2 from an amstatus report here:
>> coyote:/GenesAmandaHelper-0.6 1 planner: [dumps way too big, 138200
>> KB, must skip incremental dumps]
>>
>> Huh?  138.2GB?  A 'du -h .' in that dir says 766megs.
>>
>> coyote:/root                  1     4426m wait for dumping
>> du -h says 5.0GB so that's ballpark, but its also a level 1, so maybe
>> 20 megs is actually new since 15:57 this afternoon local.  kmails
>> final maildir is in that dir.
>>
>> This goes on for much of the amstatus report, very few of the reported
>> sizes are close to sane.
>>
>> Now, can someone suggest a patch I can revert that might fix this?
>> The total number of patches between 2.6.20 and 2.6.21-rc1 will have me
>> building kernels to bisect this till the middle of June at this rate.
>
>In a previous email, you said you were using ext3. If that's the case,
>there doesn't appear to be much going on in terms of patches between
>2.6.20 and 2.6.21-rc1. The only one that even comes close to looking
>like it might have an effect would only come in to play if you have a
>filesystem that has ACL information, but is mounted by a kernel that
>doesn't have ACL support.
>
>I have to echo wli here, I'm afraid, and recommend at least a *few*
>bisections to help narrow down the list of suspect patches.
>
>There are tutorials out there for git users. I use the mercurial
>repository, as I find the mercurial interface and workflow a lot more
>intuitive, but it has the same capability.
>
>Even 2-5 bisections will greatly help others hunt the bug down.
>
>Ray

Probably.  But I've now put a week into this, and from some other clues
I've collected, I'm beginning to think tar has a tummy ache. After all,
and ls -lc reports totally sane mtimes.  So why is tar going bonkers
under kernels 2.6.21-rc*, with or without Cons patches?

I've also spent a day now looking for a valid place to put a bugzilla
entry against tar, but googles search results are sending me to
gcc.gnu.org and this is NOT the correct bugzilla for a tar problem.

Its no secret that with all the churn in tar over the last 5 years, worse
churn than the kernel IMO in going from 2.0 to 2.6, that I'm not a fan of
yet another _new_ version of tar, when what we just need is _one_ that
works.  It is not capable of executing the recovery command listed in the
first block of every amdump file it (amdump) ever built right now, and
I've played the equ of the 10,000 monkeys writing Shakespear for several
hours trying.  Damned frustrating is what it is.

The error it reports seems to indicate that it cannot write through the
pipes involved.  But with tar's error reporting, who the hell knows for
sure.

Here is an example
[root@coyote data]# dd if=00010.coyote._lib.1 bs=32k count=1
AMANDA: FILE 20070314104344 coyote /lib  lev 1 comp .gz program /bin/tar
To restore, position tape at start of file and run:
 dd if=<tape> bs=32k skip=1 |  /bin/gzip -dc |  /bin/tar -f - ...

And the elipsis is an error if not removed.  Then one is supposed to be
able to redirect tars output with the usual >/tmp/test/ syntax

So:
[root@coyote data]# dd if=00010.coyote._lib.1 bs=32k
skip=1 |  /bin/gzip -dc |  /bin/tar -f - >/tmp/test/
-bash: /tmp/test/: Is a directory

which is the return from any variation in how the redirect is done.

So what is it that am I doing wrong in the above command line?, so I can
add it to my helper scripts to be published eventually on zmanda.org.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

* Re: New thread RDSL, post-2.6.20 kernels and amanda (tar) miss-fires
@ 2007-03-15  4:45         ` Ray Lee
From: Ray Lee @ 2007-03-15  4:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gene Heskett; +Cc: linux-kernel

Gene Heskett wrote:
> Here is an example
> [root@coyote data]# dd if=00010.coyote._lib.1 bs=32k count=1
> AMANDA: FILE 20070314104344 coyote /lib  lev 1 comp .gz program /bin/tar
> To restore, position tape at start of file and run:
>  dd if=<tape> bs=32k skip=1 |  /bin/gzip -dc |  /bin/tar -f - ...
>
> And the elipsis is an error if not removed.  Then one is supposed to be
> able to redirect tars output with the usual >/tmp/test/ syntax
>
> So:
> [root@coyote data]# dd if=00010.coyote._lib.1 bs=32k
> skip=1 |  /bin/gzip -dc |  /bin/tar -f - >/tmp/test/
> -bash: /tmp/test/: Is a directory
>
> which is the return from any variation in how the redirect is done.
>
> So what is it that am I doing wrong in the above command line?, so I can
> add it to my helper scripts to be published eventually on zmanda.org.

One of us is confused, and it may very well be me, but...

the /bin/tar -f - >/tmp/test/ looks to me like it should fail exactly as
bash says it does. the output redirect (>) will only write out to a
file, not a directory. (So, /tmp/file should work, /tmp/file/ won't.)

Are you trying to redirect where the files get restored? That should be
done with a cd before doing the uncompress.

Or am I misunderstanding what you're telling me?

Ray

* [OT] Re: New thread RDSL, post-2.6.20 kernels and amanda (tar) miss-fires
@ 2007-03-15  5:28         ` Willy Tarreau
From: Willy Tarreau @ 2007-03-15  5:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gene Heskett; +Cc: linux-kernel, ray-gmail

On Wed, Mar 14, 2007 at 11:12:48PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> [...]
> sure.
>
> Here is an example
> [root@coyote data]# dd if=00010.coyote._lib.1 bs=32k count=1
> AMANDA: FILE 20070314104344 coyote /lib  lev 1 comp .gz program /bin/tar
> To restore, position tape at start of file and run:
>  dd if=<tape> bs=32k skip=1 |  /bin/gzip -dc |  /bin/tar -f - ...
>
> And the elipsis is an error if not removed.  Then one is supposed to be
> able to redirect tars output with the usual >/tmp/test/ syntax
>
> So:
> [root@coyote data]# dd if=00010.coyote._lib.1 bs=32k
> skip=1 |  /bin/gzip -dc |  /bin/tar -f - >/tmp/test/
> -bash: /tmp/test/: Is a directory
>
> which is the return from any variation in how the redirect is done.
>
> So what is it that am I doing wrong in the above command line?, so I can
> add it to my helper scripts to be published eventually on zmanda.org.

with "/bin/tar -f - >/tmp/test/", you ask bash to open the file "/tmp/test/"
for write, then start tar and pass this file as its stdout. Obviously this
is wrong. I think that what you're trying to do is send extracted files to
/tmp/test, which is what '-C' is for. Also, you need to specify a command
for tar. You didn't. I bet if you do the following, it will work :

[root@coyote data]# dd if=00010.coyote._lib.1 bs=32k skip=1 |
    /bin/gzip -dc |  /bin/tar -C /tmp/test/ -xf -

Now, Gene, this is becoming totally off-topic right here.

Regards,
Willy

* Re: New thread RDSL, post-2.6.20 kernels and amanda (tar) miss-fires
@ 2007-03-15  6:30           ` Gene Heskett
From: Gene Heskett @ 2007-03-15  6:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel; +Cc: Ray Lee

On Thursday 15 March 2007, Ray Lee wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Here is an example
>> [root@coyote data]# dd if=00010.coyote._lib.1 bs=32k count=1
>> AMANDA: FILE 20070314104344 coyote /lib  lev 1 comp .gz program
>> /bin/tar To restore, position tape at start of file and run:
>>  dd if=<tape> bs=32k skip=1 |  /bin/gzip -dc |  /bin/tar -f - ...
>>
>> And the elipsis is an error if not removed.  Then one is supposed to
>> be able to redirect tars output with the usual >/tmp/test/ syntax
>>
>> So:
>> [root@coyote data]# dd if=00010.coyote._lib.1 bs=32k
>> skip=1 |  /bin/gzip -dc |  /bin/tar -f - >/tmp/test/
>> -bash: /tmp/test/: Is a directory
>>
>> which is the return from any variation in how the redirect is done.
>>
>> So what is it that am I doing wrong in the above command line?, so I
>> can add it to my helper scripts to be published eventually on
>> zmanda.org.
>
>One of us is confused, and it may very well be me, but...
>
>the /bin/tar -f - >/tmp/test/ looks to me like it should fail exactly as
>bash says it does. the output redirect (>) will only write out to a
>file, not a directory. (So, /tmp/file should work, /tmp/file/ won't.)
>
>Are you trying to redirect where the files get restored? That should be
>done with a cd before doing the uncompress.
>
>Or am I misunderstanding what you're telling me?
>
>Ray

No, apparently its me that's been running with a fubar'd understanding.
I was certain that tar (or bash) should have been able to put the
recovered files IN the directory /tmp/test but that turns out to need
more options after the '-f -' section of that sample line I posted.

Thanks.  A bunch..

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Zoe: "I imagine that's so, sir."
				--Episode #8, "Out of Gas"

* Re: [OT] Re: New thread RDSL, post-2.6.20 kernels and amanda (tar) miss-fires
@ 2007-03-15  6:33           ` Gene Heskett
From: Gene Heskett @ 2007-03-15  6:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel; +Cc: Willy Tarreau, ray-gmail

On Thursday 15 March 2007, Willy Tarreau wrote:

[...]

>with "/bin/tar -f - >/tmp/test/", you ask bash to open the file
> "/tmp/test/" for write, then start tar and pass this file as its
> stdout. Obviously this is wrong. I think that what you're trying to do
> is send extracted files to /tmp/test, which is what '-C' is for. Also,
> you need to specify a command for tar. You didn't. I bet if you do the
> following, it will work :
>
>[root@coyote data]# dd if=00010.coyote._lib.1 bs=32k skip=1 |
>    /bin/gzip -dc |  /bin/tar -C /tmp/test/ -xf -
>
>Now, Gene, this is becoming totally off-topic right here.

My apologies, I've been corrected, thanks for your patience.  And I'll see
if I can get that text in the amanda file headers amended too.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)