* Re: Dual-Licensing Linux Kernel with GPL V2 and GPL V3
@ 2007-06-17 20:19 Al Boldi
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Al Boldi @ 2007-06-17 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Alexandre Oliva wrote:
> On Jun 17, 2007, "Gabor Czigola" <czigola@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I wonder why the linux kernel development community couldn't propose
> > an own GPL draft (say v2.2) that is "as free as v2" and that includes
> > some ideas (from v3) that are considered as good (free, innovative, in
> > the spirit of whatever etc.) by the majority of the kernel developers.
>
> For one, because the text of the GPL is copyrighted by the FSF, and
> licensed without permission for modification.  And that's as it should
> be, you don't want others to modify the terms of the license you chose
> for your code, do you?

Wow!

Under what circumstances would it be possible to receive permission for
modification?

Thanks for being GPL!

--
Al

* Re: Dual-Licensing Linux Kernel with GPL V2 and GPL V3
@ 2007-06-20  0:15 Josh Williams
From: Josh Williams @ 2007-06-20  0:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

On 6/18/07, Alexandre Oliva <aoliva@redhat.com> wrote:

> ... derived from the Debian Free Software Guidelines, engineered to
> reflect the Free Software definition ...

Yes, that's true, but it was modified in several key points. OSS and FS
developers have a very similar approach to developing software, but our goals
are different. So why does it come to a shock that the open source definition
greatly resembles the four rights of free software?

> Err...  Excuse me?  Whole point for whom?

> Free Software is not about freedom of choice.  That's an OSI slogan
> for "if you like, you can shoot your own foot, regardless of whether
> the shrapnel hurts people around you".
> http://www.fsfla.org/?q=en/node/139#1

And in Rms's opinion, a woman's freedom to make decisions about her  own body
are hers to choose, regardless of whether this means murdering an innocent
child. (Do I see a conflict here?)

When it comes right down to it, the FSF is all about freedom, just as long as
it benefits them. They couldn't care less whether our society is productive.
For them, the software is not top priority, as they have been very vocal
about, and as Linus mentioned earlier in this thread.

> Free Software is about respect for the four freedoms.

Yes, there *are* four freedoms, and they are very good. However, what happens
when we have *only* these four freedoms? The FSF would do anything within
their power to impose their "religious" beliefs upon the entire world,
regardless of what's really good for us.

If we don't have the freedom of choice, then are we really free? Each person
must be free to make *his*own* decisions of what's best for him, even if it
means one of his appliances is "tivoized". That's really *his* decision,
isn't it?

If the FSF insists on defining freedom for us (and very narrowly, at that),
then perhaps we'd be better off without them. After all, isn't true freedom
the right to choose whatever freedoms you want to practise?

Yes, I understand and appreciate the problems with proprietary software, but
that's not the _only_ issue that needs dealt with in this world. It's getting
to the point where the FSF has become just as bad as Microsoft, yet in a
different way.

> I don't think the FSF is at all concerned whether GPLv3 complies with
> the OSD.  They couldn't care less.

<sarcasm>
  Are you serious? WOW! =O
</sarcasm>

>                                            It was OSI that tried to create a
> definition that matched exactly the meaning of the Free Software
> definition under "more objective criteria".  We already know they
> failed, since the Reciprocal Public License is accepted as an OSS
> license, but it's a non-Free Software license.  There may be other
> examples.

How could an open source license not being a free software license be
considered a failure? Pardon me for saying so, but I don't think the OSS
developers really give a crap whether their software is considered to
be "free" as long as their goals are met.

> That said, since a number of people already understand the GPLv2
> prohibits tivoization, your argument means that either the comment in
> the OSD is wrong, and GPLv2 already fails to match the OSD, or that
> GPLv3 complies with it in just the same way.

*what*?? That's the first I've heard of this. Nonsense. If that were true, we
wouldn't be having this debate, am I correct?

--
It's common knowledge that most intruders come in through Windows.

* Re: Dual-Licensing Linux Kernel with GPL V2 and GPL V3
@ 2007-06-19 22:57 Al Boldi
From: Al Boldi @ 2007-06-19 22:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

> Tivo didn't make the Linux success. More Tivos can definitely undo it.

I don't think so.

First, it's not Linux that made success, but rather GNU that uses Linux as
its kernel.  And, believe it or not, when people say Linux, they really mean
GNU.  People could care less what kernel they were running, as long as the
system is up and runs the procs that offer their services.

It was probably a strategic mistake for GNU to lock into Linux, instead of
developing a system that would allow GNU to plug-and-play the Kernel.  A
mistake that could easily be rectified, given enough desire.

Second, GPLv2 was/is probably instrumental to the success of GNU/Linux.
That's because GPLv2 seems to be fair, which allows the largest possible
community to form.  Changing this fairness, driven by paranoia arguments, to
hamper commercial entities to enter this community may possibly reduce the
growth of this community.

Interestingly, it's this same paranoia that drives kernel developer to
renounce a "Stable Kernel API" for fear of exploitation by certain
commercial entities.  Which makes you kind of wonder, why they wouldn't move
to GPLv3.

Or does paranoia and paradox go hand in hand?

Thanks!

--
Al

* Re: Dual-Licensing Linux Kernel with GPL V2 and GPL V3
@ 2007-06-18 22:36 Joshua David Williams
From: Joshua David Williams @ 2007-06-18 22:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

On 6/17/07, Linus Torvalds <torvalds@linux-foundation.org> wrote:

>  Everybody else just cares about the legal reasons.

> The "legal terms" is the only reason a license *exists*. That's what a
> license *is*, for crying out loud!

>  If you don't care about the legal side, go and read the free software
> manifesto. That's the paper you're really arguing about.

> If you want to argue about the GPLv2 *license*, then you'd better start
> caring about the legal issues. Because that is what the license is: a
> _legal_ document.

IMHO, free and open source software seem to differ on one key point:

The Open Source Definition wrote:

> 9. License Must Not Restrict Other Software
>
> The license must not place restrictions on other software that
> is distributed along with the licensed software. For example,
> the license must not insist that all other programs distributed
> on the same medium must be open-source software.
>
> Rationale: Distributors of open-source software have the right
> to make their own choices about their own software.

> Yes, the GPL is conformant with this requirement. Software linked
> with GPLed libraries only inherits the GPL if it forms a single work,
> not any software with which they are merely distributed.

The way I understand it, programs licensed under the GPLv3 are *not* open
source software. FSF is so caught up in their own agenda that they're
forgetting the whole point - the freedom of choice. The GPLv2 may
be "conformant with this requirement", but it goes against the ethics of the
FSF, so we can't expect each new version of the GPL to comply to this right.

Attacking this so-called "tivozation", IMO, finally draws a distinct line
between "free" and "open source". We, as open source developers, are not
politicians or philosophers; we write software, and we wish to publish our
code under a certain set of ten rights.

Yes, the GPL is a legal document, but it was written in order to compliment
the GNU Manifesto by setting legal parameters for which they could publish
their code under.

Until now, the GPL (v2) has had the same *legal* paramaters the open source
developers need in order to do the job we need it to do. We have clearly went
our separate ways now, so I think it's time to drop the GPL. (See my other
thread about writing an open source license.)

Anyways, that's my $0.02.

--
It's a commonly known fact that most intruders come in through Windows.

* Re: Dual-Licensing Linux Kernel with GPL V2 and GPL V3
@ 2007-06-18  8:49 Anders Larsen
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Anders Larsen @ 2007-06-18  8:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexandre Oliva
  Cc: Ingo Molnar, Alan Cox, Daniel Hazelton, Linus Torvalds, Greg KH,
	debian developer, david, Tarkan Erimer, linux-kernel,
	Andrew Morton

On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 22:54:56 -0300, Alexandre Oliva wrote:

> I don't know any law that requires tivoization.

Not exactly laws, but pretty close:

Credit-card payment terminals are subject to strict security
certification, where it has to be ensured that

a) the user cannot tinker with the device without rendering it unusable
for its original purpose (electronic payments), and

b) the manufacturer is able to update the device _in_ _the_ _field_.

Those are hard requirements imposed by the banks and credit-card companies.

We _are_ allowed to disclose the source code (and we do, of course) so
that it can be used for other purposes, and of course the user can modify
it. But there's just no way she would be (legally) able to run the
modified software in the same device for the original purpose.

With the (current draft of) GPLv3 we could not legally use Linux on such
devices.

Cheers
 Anders

* Re: Dual-Licensing Linux Kernel with GPL V2 and GPL V3
@ 2007-06-17 17:14 Gabor Czigola
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Gabor Czigola @ 2007-06-17 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lkml

Hello!

I didn't follow the whole thread from the beginning, but I see that
there are pros and cons for both versions of GPL.

I wonder why the linux kernel development community couldn't propose
an own GPL draft (say v2.2) that is "as free as v2" and that includes
some ideas (from v3) that are considered as good (free, innovative, in
the spirit of whatever etc.) by the majority of the kernel developers.

I guess to have an own version of the GPL license could also help to
resolve (future) dual-licensing problems.

Gabor Czigola

[parent not found: <46063.192.54.193.51.1181897654.squirrel@rousalka.dyndns.org>]
* Re: Dual-Licensing Linux Kernel with GPL V2 and GPL V3
@ 2007-06-15 13:08 Nicolas Mailhot
From: Nicolas Mailhot @ 2007-06-15 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ingo Molnar; +Cc: linux-kernel

Ingo Molnar wrote:

* Alexandre Oliva <aoliva@redhat.com> wrote:

>> > Do they have to provide a ROM burner if the ROM is socketed rather
>> > than soldered into place?
>
>> Of course not.  They just can't impose restrictions on your obtaining
>> a ROM burner and doing the work yourself.

> do you realize that you have just admitted that the Tivo is perfectly
> fine and legal?
> because you can solder off the ROM from the Tivo and can put in a new
> ROM with another bootloader that does not check the SHA1 key.

Nope. ROM alone is not the problem

The problem is that in this particular case, removing a ROM used to
vet software makes you liable under DMCA and friends

That's why something that could be tolerated in GPLv2 time before the
new IP world order can not be tolerated anymore. DRM is not deadly
because of the technical measures but the legal ones

GPLv3 is not there to change the technical equation but the legal
equation. Blame the change on IP law apprentice sorcerers, not the on
FSF

--
Nicolas Mailhot

[parent not found: <1078.192.54.193.51.1181908114.squirrel@rousalka.dyndns.org>]
* Re: Dual-Licensing Linux Kernel with GPL V2 and GPL V3
@ 2007-06-15 11:48 Nicolas Mailhot
From: Nicolas Mailhot @ 2007-06-15 11:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Hazelton; +Cc: linux-kernel

[Re-sending with the right subject]

>> > by your argument, the user has some "right to modify the
software", on
>> > that piece of hardware it bought which had free software on it,
correct?

>> Yes.  This means the hardware distributor who put the software in
there must not place roadblocks that impede the user to get where
she wants with the software, not that the vendor must offer the
user a sport car to take her there.

>Okay. That means that if I ship Linux on a ROM chip I have to somehow
make
>it so that the person purchasing the chip can modify the copy of
Linux installed on the chip *if* I want to follow both the spirit and
the
letter
>of the GPLv2.

The key word there is "can"

You don't have to send the buyer the hardware design, replace the ROM
with a flash, use a rom socket that allows easy switching etc.

But you can not add measures to your hardware specifically designed to
stop the user from modifying the GPL software part. Especially if
those measures are something like DRM that do not make the tinkering
just technically hard, but legally forbidden.

As long as the restrictions result from technical choices not
targetted at forbidding changes you're ok.

However if the restrictions are deliberately added, have a legal
component (and legal is not "may" but absolute "can not"), that's
another thing entirely.

To take a simple example people will understand:
- everywhere around the world judges can order newspapers to publish
corrections after a slander trial
- these corrections take different forms depending on the media: in
the original article for on-line stuff, in new editions for printed
stuff

So the fact there is a legal obligation to allow judges to change
articles does not imply newspapers are forced to forgo read-only paper
prints. However editors can not refuse to change the online edition
because they have the technical possibility to do so.

"Software" change oblications (articles) are not dictating "hardware"
(read-only paper prints)

Now do anyone has a doubt how a judge would react if the newspaper
told him it wouldn't change the online edition because it's protected
by a DRM-like lock the newspaper does not want to change or share? DRM
is not a technical limitation like paper print, it's a self-imposed
artificial limitation.

--
Nicolas Mailhot

[parent not found: <64689.192.54.193.51.1181901773.squirrel@rousalka.dyndns.org>]
* Re: Dual-Licensing Linux Kernel with GPL V2 and GPL V3
@ 2007-06-15 10:53 Jesper Juhl
From: Jesper Juhl @ 2007-06-15 10:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Mailhot; +Cc: Daniel Hazelton, linux-kernel

On 15/06/07, Nicolas Mailhot <nicolas.mailhot@laposte.net> wrote:
> software", on
> correct?
> >>
> >> Yes.  This means the hardware distributor who put the software in
> >> there must not place roadblocks that impede the user to get where she
> >> wants with the software, not that the vendor must offer the user a
> >> sport car to take her there.
>
> >Okay. That means that if I ship Linux on a ROM chip I have to somehow
> make
> >it so that the person purchasing the chip can modify the copy of Linux
> >installed on the chip *if* I want to follow both the spirit and the
> letter
> >of the GPLv2.
>
> The key word there is "can"
>
> You don't have to send the buyer the hardware design, replace the ROM
> with a flash, use a rom socket that allows easy switching etc.
>
> But you can not add measures to your hardware specifically designed to
> stop the user from modifying the GPL software part. Especially if
> those measures are something like DRM that do not make the tinkering
> just technically hard, but legally forbidden.
>
> As long as the restrictions result from technical choices not
> targetted at forbidding changes you're ok.

That's simply not true.

As long as you get a copy of the source code for the software that's
running on the hardware it's OK. That's all the GPLv2 says.

If you buy a computer with a GPLv2 OS on it and GPLv2 applications
running on it and recieve a CD-ROM with a copy of all the source code
along with the computer, then whomever supplied you with that is in
compliance with the GPLv2. This is true even if the computer does not
allow you (by whatever means) to install or modify in any way the
software currently installed on it. It's still true even if the
manufacturer has a means to change the installed software.
You have the right to modify, distribute etc the copy of the source
code you obtained on the CD-ROM, that is the right granted to you by
the GPLv2 - that does not somehow include the right to nessesarily
execute the modified software on the specific hardware supplied to you
by the manufacturer.  You can still use the modified software on some
other compatible computer (if you can find one), you can still use
parts of the modified software in other GPLv2 projects, you can still
redistribute your copy of the source code to other people.
You may not *like* the fact that you don't automatically get the right
to execute a modified copy on the hardware that the software was
originally designed for, you may not think it's morally the way things
should be, you may think its unfair, but that's all irrelevant. Fact
is, the hardware manufacturer is in its full right to lock you out of
their hardware, as long as they have supplied you with the source code
to the GPLv2 software that is running on the hardware - whether or not
you can actually use that source code for anything meaningful without
their hardware is not their problem.

--
Jesper Juhl <jesper.juhl@gmail.com>
Don't top-post  http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/T/top-post.html

* RE: Dual-Licensing Linux Kernel with GPL V2 and GPL V3
@ 2007-06-15  8:54 Nicolas Mailhot
From: Nicolas Mailhot @ 2007-06-15  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Schwartz; +Cc: linux-kernel

David Schwartz wrote :

> The GPL is about having the legal right to modify the software and
being
> able to put other people's distributed improvements back into the
> original code base. It does not guarantee that you will actually be
able
> to modify the software and get it to work on some particular hardware.

This is obviously wrong.

Need I remind everyone the "origin" of the GNU movement is RMS getting
a buggy printer driver from its manufacturer, and finding out he had
no way to fix it? What use would RMS have had for putting other
people's distributed improvements back into the original code base and
not being allowed to get his printer to work? (And yes driver was
os-side but only because devices had little computing capabilities
then. Nowadays a lot of this very same stuff happens on the
DRM-protected flashable firmware)

The aim from the start was for the ultimate software recipient (not
the software author) to be able to fix a software blob provided with a
hardware device, and use it with the original hardware device.
Translated on modern hardware that's exactly what people (even
non-developper people) do when they download a rockbox image and put
it on their MP3 player, and exactly the use case DRM forbids.

The plain truth is the GPL v2 didn't target explicitely DRM when it
was written because hardware manufacturers hadn't come up with DRM
yet. Getting source code available was sufficient because no one
"protected" hardware against binaries built from this source code, and
embedded hardware logic was either bog-simple and foolproof because
neither the manufacturer nor anyone else could change it, or wide open
to everyone (the manufacturer but also the buyer of the device).

Modern DRM targets this original GPL assumption. GPLv3 only clarifies
the intended effects of previous GPL versions.

It is a shameless rewriting of history to say the GPLv2 writers
considered DRM and wrote a license that allowed it. It is a shameless
rewriting of history to claim anyone (Linus included) who released GPL
v2 code before DRM was used considered DRM and okayed it. It is a
shameless rewriting of history to claim the GPLv3 "spirit" WRT
combined software + hardware bundles is any different from the GPLv2
one.

The first documented reason for free/libre software was a
software+hardware bundle. They never were isolated parts.

Moreover many people write about GPLv3 imposing "software" rules on
"hardware" design. DRM is wholly about using "software" rules on
hardware design. Hardware can be broken and the law allows buyers to
break what they bought. The attractiveness of DRM to hardware
manufacturers and content producers is precisely it's not hardware,
but software that has many interesting legal properties:
- it's not sold but licensed, and you can attach strings to the
license you can't on a pure hardware deal (Hardware is not licensed.
An hardware design may be licensed to other manufacturers, but the
hardware implementation buyers receive has no particular legal
protection against modifications)
- copyright law gives you exclusive rights (supposedly for a time), so
you can legaly lock out users and competitors when the law is very
clear you're not allowed to for hardware. So to take the ROM case it's
very difficult for a user to take a ROM out and replace it with
something else. However he can legally do it. Aside from introducing
an assymetry between the user and the manufacturer, DRM makes
replacement legally forbidden. GPLv3 does not target the technical
difficulty but the new legal impossibility (by forcing the GPLv3
distributor to relinquish any legal entitlement to block changes on
the GPLv3 part. That it also unlocks the rest of the device is only
cheap design that does not distinguish between the parts it blocks)

Now kernel authors can choose whatever license they want for code they
wrote. They can specify the conditions of acceptance of submitted
patches (but not what the authors of the submitted patches think about
the GPLv3). They definitively do not have to switch to the GPLv3 just
because the FSF released it.

However if they want to discuss the rationality of their choice of
GPLv2 over GPLv3, it would be nice to get rational arguments and not
the gross exagerations, name-callings and dubious analogies this
thread is full of.

--
Nicolas Mailhot

* Re: Dual-Licensing Linux Kernel with GPL V2 and GPL V3
@ 2007-06-14 12:40 Nicolas Mailhot
From: Nicolas Mailhot @ 2007-06-14 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Hazelton; +Cc: linux-kernel

Since everyone is having fun, and the kernel includes a few bytes from
yours truly, I figured I could state my opinion too.

1. Linus' "clarifications" of GPL2-only may apply to the kernel work
as a whole, and to patches submitted from the clarification moment,
but not to the individual patches submitted before. A lot of noise is
made about dead author wishes but nobody seems to care about the
wishes of live authors who may not have a hard GPL2-only stance and
have been retroactively tagged GPLv2-only supporters. (that's for all
the diatribes about the evil FSF unduly speaking for others)

2. Seems there are enough GPLv3 supporters to do the heavy legwork and
get clear statements about licensing status of past code submissions
should the  core kernel hackers agree to GPLv3 licensing. So a
licensing change is technically possible

Daniel Hazelton wrote:
> And this is what the FSF, RMS and yes, *YOU*, Alexandre, fail to
realize
> - the GPL covers *ONLY* the software. It has *ZERO* legal standing when
> applied to hardware.

And drm keys are hardware? Nope, they're a string of bytes. Looks like
software to me.

You're the one who's confusing hardware with software, and trying to
apply software legal rules (limited usage rights) to hardware. No law
forbids taking hardware you bought and modifying it outside the
original manufacturer control (including crazy things like turning
cars in boats or planes). In fact many laws especially target attempts
to restrict modification to "blessed" original manufacturer parts
(I'll intentionaly skip over recent creative lawmaking which confused
everyone including the people who rubber-tamped lobby texts)

That may suck but while you can technicaly substitute a cheaper
software implementation to a hardware one, they are not covered by the
same laws. You have a technical continuum but not a legal continuum.

Your software substitute is going to be subject to the software legal
corpus. That means licensing limits. If you wrote your own code you
can use whatever restrictive software license you want. If you didn't
you have to abide with the original author licensing, which may be
something like the GPLv3 that forbids you to extend software
restrictions to hardware (and one is not more amoral than the other)

GPLv3 only controls the software part of the equation. You can still
manufacture hardware however you want. What you can't do any longer is
use software and software exclusive licensing terms to control
hardware (Bear in mind even if you sold a device with a physicaly
welded hood the law allows the buyer to take a hammer and crack it
open. Legal manufacturer control just does not exist past this point.
That should tell you who is crossing the lines in the drm case).

You may still limit modifications if you don't sell a device but rent
it, but many tivo-ing entities around the world want to eat their cake
and keep it by selling hardware and using drm to lock it (trying to
apply software rules to hardware)

If the GPLv3 actually tried to use copyright law to control hardware,
it wouldn't stand in court.

--
Nicolas Mailhot

* RE: Dual-Licensing Linux Kernel with GPL V2 and GPL V3
@ 2007-06-10 20:42 David Schwartz
From: David Schwartz @ 2007-06-10 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simon Arlott, jengelh; +Cc: linux-kernel

> has the answer. Quoting Linus:
>
> "If you want to license a program under any later version of the
> GPL, you have
> to state so explicitly. Linux never did."
>
> Hence, unless there's a "GPL 2 or later", all the "unspecified GPL" files
> are GPL2 only.

The GPL states the default position:

"If the Program does not specify a version number of this License, you may
choose any version ever published by the Free Software Foundation."

Leaving the question of whether Linus's comment at the top of the license
changes the default:

"Also note that the only valid version of the GPL as far as the kernel is
concerned is _this_ particular version of the license (ie v2, not v2.2 or
v3.x or whatever), unless explicitly otherwise stated."

So we have dueling defaults. The GPL says the default is any version. Linus'
statement at the top of the GPL says the default is v2 only. It's not clear,
at least to me, that there is any clear reason why one should win out over
the other.

DS

* Dual-Licensing Linux Kernel with GPL V2 and GPL V3
@ 2007-06-09  5:46 Tarkan Erimer
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Tarkan Erimer @ 2007-06-09  5:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi,

As we know the forthcoming GPL V3 will be not compatible with the GPL V2
and Linux Kernel is GPL V2 only.
So, another point is, which is previously mentioned by Linus and others,
that if it is decided to upgrade the Linux Kernel's License to GPL V3,
it is needed the permission of all the maintainers permission who
contributed to the Linux Kernel and there are a lot of lost or dead
maintainers. Which makes it impossible to get all the maintainers'
permission.
But; if the Linux kernel should Dual-Licensed (GPL V2 and GPL V3), it
will allow us the both worlds' fruits like code exchanging from other
Open Source Projects (OpenSolaris etc.) that is compatible with GPL V3
and not with GPL V2 and of course the opposite is applicable,too.

So;at this situation, what is possibility to make the Linux Kernel
Dual-Licensed as I mentioned above and what is your opinions and
suggestions about this idea ?

Regards,

Tarkan Erimer

[parent not found: <fa.toMqQ3LqoQn6Xh51bVordO8WMVc@ifi.uio.no>]