* RE: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: [syzbot] INFO: rcu detected stall in tx
@ 2021-05-19 16:14 Guido Kiener
From: Guido Kiener @ 2021-05-19 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Stern, dave penkler
  Cc: Dmitry Vyukov, syzbot, Greg Kroah-Hartman, lee.jones, USB list,
	bp, dwmw, hpa, linux-kernel, luto, mingo, syzkaller-bugs, tglx,
	x86

> On Wed, May 19, 2021 at 10:48:29AM +0200, dave penkler wrote:

> > > Not true.  It does not mark the endpoint as halted, not unless it
> > > receives a STALL handshake from the device.  A STALL is not a
> > > protocol error.

> > > Irrelevant.
> > Not at all. The point is that when an application is talking to an
> > instrument over the usbtmc driver, the underlying host controller and
> > its driver will detect and silence a babbling endpoint.
>
> No, they won't.  That is, they will detect a babble error and return an error status, but
> they won't silence the endpoint.  What makes you think they will?

Maybe there is a misunderstanding. I guess that Dave wanted to propose:
"EPROTO is a link level issue and needs to be handled by the host driver.
When the host driver detects a protocol error while processing an
URB it SHOULD complete the URB with EPROTO status and SHOULD mark the endpoint
as halted."
Is this a realistic fix for all host drivers?

-Guido