* Plumbers conf presentation on -fanalyze?
@ 2022-04-14 21:42 Nick Desaulniers
From: Nick Desaulniers @ 2022-04-14 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dmalcolm; +Cc: Jose E. Marchesi, clang-built-linux, LKML

Hi David,
Jose and I are currently in the planning process to put together a
Kernel+Toolchain microconference track at Linux Plumbers Conference
this year (Sept 12-14) in Dublin, Ireland.

We had seen
https://developers.redhat.com/articles/2022/04/12/state-static-analysis-gcc-12-compiler#scaling_up_the_analyzer
particularly the section on The Linux kernel and were wondering if
you'd be interested in presenting more information about -fanalyze to
kernel and toolchain developers there?
~Nick Desaulniers

* Re: Plumbers conf presentation on -fanalyze?
@ 2022-04-14 22:08 ` David Malcolm
From: David Malcolm @ 2022-04-14 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Desaulniers; +Cc: Jose E. Marchesi, clang-built-linux, LKML

On Thu, 2022-04-14 at 14:42 -0700, Nick Desaulniers wrote:
> Hi David,
> Jose and I are currently in the planning process to put together a
> Kernel+Toolchain microconference track at Linux Plumbers Conference
> this year (Sept 12-14) in Dublin, Ireland.
>
> We had seen
> https://developers.redhat.com/articles/2022/04/12/state-static-analysis-gcc-12-compiler#scaling_up_the_analyzer
> particularly the section on The Linux kernel and were wondering if
> you'd be interested in presenting more information about -fanalyze to
> kernel and toolchain developers there?

Thanks!  I'm very much interested, but am not yet sure about travel
(both in terms of (a) budget and (b) possible new virus strains).  Is
this conference going to be purely in-person, or hybrid virtual/in-
person?

Dave

* Re: Plumbers conf presentation on -fanalyze?
@ 2022-04-14 22:13   ` Nick Desaulniers
From: Nick Desaulniers @ 2022-04-14 22:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Malcolm, James Bottomley, Steven Rostedt
  Cc: Jose E. Marchesi, clang-built-linux, LKML

On Thu, Apr 14, 2022 at 3:08 PM David Malcolm <dmalcolm@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 2022-04-14 at 14:42 -0700, Nick Desaulniers wrote:
> > Hi David,
> > Jose and I are currently in the planning process to put together a
> > Kernel+Toolchain microconference track at Linux Plumbers Conference
> > this year (Sept 12-14) in Dublin, Ireland.
> >
> > We had seen
> > https://developers.redhat.com/articles/2022/04/12/state-static-analysis-gcc-12-compiler#scaling_up_the_analyzer
> > particularly the section on The Linux kernel and were wondering if
> > you'd be interested in presenting more information about -fanalyze to
> > kernel and toolchain developers there?
>
> Thanks!  I'm very much interested, but am not yet sure about travel
> (both in terms of (a) budget and (b) possible new virus strains).  Is
> this conference going to be purely in-person, or hybrid virtual/in-
> person?

I didn't see an answer to that question on
https://lpc.events/event/16/page/185-faqs.
cc' James + Stephen who might be able to answer that more precisely
than I could.

@ 2022-04-14 23:30     ` James Bottomley
From: James Bottomley @ 2022-04-14 23:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Desaulniers, David Malcolm, Steven Rostedt
  Cc: Jose E. Marchesi, clang-built-linux, LKML

On Thu, 2022-04-14 at 15:13 -0700, Nick Desaulniers wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 14, 2022 at 3:08 PM David Malcolm <dmalcolm@redhat.com>
> wrote:
> > On Thu, 2022-04-14 at 14:42 -0700, Nick Desaulniers wrote:
> > > Hi David,
> > > Jose and I are currently in the planning process to put together
> > > Kernel+Toolchain microconference track at Linux Plumbers
> > > Conference
> > > this year (Sept 12-14) in Dublin, Ireland.
> > >
> > > We had seen
> > > https://developers.redhat.com/articles/2022/04/12/state-static-analysis-gcc-12-compiler#scaling_up_the_analyzer
> > > particularly the section on The Linux kernel and were wondering
> > > if
> > > you'd be interested in presenting more information about
> > > -fanalyze to
> > > kernel and toolchain developers there?
> >
> > Thanks!  I'm very much interested, but am not yet sure about travel
> > (both in terms of (a) budget and (b) possible new virus
> > strains).  Is
> > this conference going to be purely in-person, or hybrid virtual/in-
> > person?
>
> I didn't see an answer to that question on
> https://lpc.events/event/16/page/185-faqs.
> cc' James + Stephen who might be able to answer that more precisely
> than I could.

It's going to be hybrid ... I thought we actually managed to announce
that but forgot to put it on the front page.  However, there is a
caveat: to minimize the risk of technical issues, we'd very much like
the content producers (speakers etc) to be in person.  This won't be a
blanket requirement but we'll be unhappy if you try to have a MC with
mostly virtual speakers for instance.

Jaems

* Re: Plumbers conf presentation on -fanalyze?
@ 2022-04-14 23:35       ` Steven Rostedt
From: Steven Rostedt @ 2022-04-14 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Bottomley
  Cc: Nick Desaulniers, David Malcolm, Jose E. Marchesi,
	clang-built-linux, LKML

On Thu, 14 Apr 2022 19:30:24 -0400
James Bottomley <James.Bottomley@HansenPartnership.com> wrote:

> > I didn't see an answer to that question on
> > https://lpc.events/event/16/page/185-faqs.
> > cc' James + Stephen who might be able to answer that more precisely
> > than I could.
>
> It's going to be hybrid ... I thought we actually managed to announce
> that but forgot to put it on the front page.  However, there is a
> caveat: to minimize the risk of technical issues, we'd very much like
> the content producers (speakers etc) to be in person.  This won't be a
> blanket requirement but we'll be unhappy if you try to have a MC with
> mostly virtual speakers for instance.

Yes, virtual will be mostly for audience participation, as there's so
many things that can go wrong with trying to present at a live event
virtually. This *is* the first time we are doing it, so the unknowns
are limitless.

Having a MC topic with a virtual host is fine, as long as there's
co-hosts that can still be there physically in case there's technical
issues.

-- Steve

* Re: Plumbers conf presentation on -fanalyze?
@ 2022-06-21 22:06   ` Nick Desaulniers
From: Nick Desaulniers @ 2022-06-21 22:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Malcolm; +Cc: Jose E. Marchesi, clang-built-linux, LKML

On Thu, Apr 14, 2022 at 3:08 PM David Malcolm <dmalcolm@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 2022-04-14 at 14:42 -0700, Nick Desaulniers wrote:
> > Hi David,
> > Jose and I are currently in the planning process to put together a
> > Kernel+Toolchain microconference track at Linux Plumbers Conference
> > this year (Sept 12-14) in Dublin, Ireland.
> >
> > We had seen
> > https://developers.redhat.com/articles/2022/04/12/state-static-analysis-gcc-12-compiler#scaling_up_the_analyzer
> > particularly the section on The Linux kernel and were wondering if
> > you'd be interested in presenting more information about -fanalyze to
> > kernel and toolchain developers there?
>
> Thanks!  I'm very much interested, but am not yet sure about travel
> (both in terms of (a) budget and (b) possible new virus strains).  Is
> this conference going to be purely in-person, or hybrid virtual/in-
> person?

Hi David,
If you're still considering attending Linux Plumbers conf, please
submit a proposal:
https://lpc.events/event/16/abstracts/
Please make sure to select "Toolchains Track" as the "Track" after
clicking on "Submit new abstract."

@ 2022-06-22 19:12     ` David Malcolm
From: David Malcolm @ 2022-06-22 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Desaulniers; +Cc: Jose E. Marchesi, clang-built-linux, LKML

On Tue, 2022-06-21 at 15:06 -0700, Nick Desaulniers wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 14, 2022 at 3:08 PM David Malcolm <dmalcolm@redhat.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 2022-04-14 at 14:42 -0700, Nick Desaulniers wrote:
> > > Hi David,
> > > Jose and I are currently in the planning process to put together
> > > Kernel+Toolchain microconference track at Linux Plumbers
> > > Conference
> > > this year (Sept 12-14) in Dublin, Ireland.
> > >
> > > We had seen
> > >
> > > https://developers.redhat.com/articles/2022/04/12/state-static-analysis-gcc-12-compiler#scaling_up_the_analyzer
> > > particularly the section on The Linux kernel and were wondering
> > > if
> > > you'd be interested in presenting more information about -
> > > fanalyze to
> > > kernel and toolchain developers there?
> >
> > Thanks!  I'm very much interested, but am not yet sure about travel
> > (both in terms of (a) budget and (b) possible new virus strains).
> > Is
> > this conference going to be purely in-person, or hybrid virtual/in-
> > person?
>
> Hi David,
> If you're still considering attending Linux Plumbers conf, please
> submit a proposal:
> https://lpc.events/event/16/abstracts/
> Please make sure to select "Toolchains Track" as the "Track" after
> clicking on "Submit new abstract."

Hi Nick

Thanks, I've registered to attend, and have submitted this abstract:

  https://lpc.events/event/16/abstracts/1293/

("GCC's -fanalyzer and the Linux kernel" #177)

Hope the above looks good.

Dave