* Re: IBM DTLA IDE Made In Hungary
       [not found] <20010917061239.1310E3CD9@prometheus.lan.berghof.org>
@ 2001-09-17  7:35 ` Magnus Naeslund(w)
From: Magnus Naeslund(w) @ 2001-09-17  7:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wolfram; +Cc: linux-kernel

> What about the cooling? Please don't tell me that the drives are not
> cooled actively :-)
> There are also known issues with Highpoint (HPT) IDE-controllers, but
> since you are using Promise...

They all are cooled with one fan for each drive.
I use the hotswap bays that comes bundled with the card.
Are they not enough?

Magnus

* RE: IBM DTLA IDE Made In Hungary
@ 2001-09-17 18:35 Torrey Hoffman
From: Torrey Hoffman @ 2001-09-17 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Kristian Peters', Magnus Naeslund(f); +Cc: linux-kernel

Without doing statistical failure analysis, it's hard to say
if the seemingly large numbers of failing IBM drives are due to
real hardware problems, or just because there are a lot of those
drives out there.

Perhaps some sysadmins at large companies who manage hundreds of
computers can comment on failure rates?

Nonetheless... I've had two IBM DLTA's fail on me in the last year,
and no non-IBM failures. I have about 12 drives, mostly Maxtor and
IBM in the various machines I use, so my sample set is perhaps
somewhat meaningful.

I just had a 40 GB 5400 RPM IBM drive die on me.  It was less than
a year old, made in Thailand, and had seen little use.  BIOS'es on
two different computers didn't even see the drive, it's was like
there was nothing on the wire.  I revived it and rescued my data by
putting it in a freezer for an hour and plugging it in ice-cold.

It was still working when I finished pulling data off it, but I
don't really trust it now...

And last year I had an HP drive (actually made by IBM Storage
Products Hungary) die in the classic way - bad sectors, seek errors,
etc. That was a 7200RPM 15 GB disk.  OTOH, the 40 GB IBM I replaced
it with has been fine...

still, I will use Maxtor for my new RAID, I've never had one of
those fail.  Yet.

Torrey Hoffman

* Re: IBM DTLA IDE Made In Hungary
@ 2001-09-17  8:45   ` S.Benoit
From: S.Benoit @ 2001-09-17  8:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kristian Peters; +Cc: Magnus Naeslund(f), linux-kernel

On Mon, 17 Sep 2001, Kristian Peters wrote:
> I experienced problems with their 40 GB and 75 GB variants. The first one was
> made in Thaiwan. So it isn't really a matter from where they're coming from.

We have also had a IBM 75GB DTLA go bad here, after running for about 2
months. The replacement sent by IBM was also bad, while a Maxtor worked.
This was with FreeBSD and WindowsNT. The guy using the system thinks it's
maybe a firmware bug, possibly with SMART.

/Benno

--
Sebastian Benoit <ben-lists@andastra.de> / Software Engineer

* Re: IBM DTLA IDE Made In Hungary
@ 2001-09-17  8:26 ` Kristian Peters
From: Kristian Peters @ 2001-09-17  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Magnus Naeslund(f); +Cc: linux-kernel

Hello.

I experienced problems with their 40 GB and 75 GB variants. The first one was
made in Thaiwan. So it isn't really a matter from where they're coming from.
I'm testing right now. I have applied a special crc-patch and a self-made patch.
The problems didn't appeared again yet. I'm also testing with UDMA modes. The
drives are coming with UDMA 5 enabled, but linux and my board are'nt supporting
it. So I downspeeded them with IBM's Feature Tool. I first experienced faults
with linux>=2.4.5-ac12. Mostly the errors appeared after a boot in the morning
as the drive was down for hours and cold too.

But I don't own any RAID-controllers. I have just a simple UDMA2-controller.
Maybe these faults are only occuring in connection with my specific hardware. I
don't know.

So if you hadn't had any problems before you're disks would be safe for now.

Magnus Naeslund(f) wrote:

> A while ago I read about these drives on lkml.
> Someone was experiencing problems with them, and now I am too.
> We have a sh*tload of systems using these in a Promise SuperTrak IDE RAID
> setups.
> So we have 8raid*6drives running over here, and I'm afraid that they will
> start falling apart.

> Does anyone have any info on these problems ?
> URL:s, pointers, whatever?
> Has IBM said anything about this?
>
> Should I demand that the company selling these drives to us exhange those
> for some other brand, or what?
>
> Cheers
>
> Magnus

·· · · reach me :: · ·· ·· ·  · ·· · ··  · ··· · ·
                          :: http://www.korseby.net
                          :: http://www.tomlab.de
kristian@korseby.net ....::

* Re: IBM DTLA IDE Made In Hungary
@ 2001-09-17  5:49 ` Kip Macy
From: Kip Macy @ 2001-09-17  5:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Magnus Naeslund(f); +Cc: linux-kernel

IBM has excellent customer service (in my experience), I sent them a bad
drive and they sent me a replacement a couple of days later.

		-Kip

For RAIDANT status see:
http://legacy-web.corp.netapp.com/engineering/projects/raidv2/testing/ant
To submit RAIDANT test descriptions go to:

On Mon, 17 Sep 2001, Magnus Naeslund(f) wrote:

> A while ago I read about these drives on lkml.
> Someone was experiencing problems with them, and now I am too.
> We have a sh*tload of systems using these in a Promise SuperTrak IDE RAID
> setups.
> So we have 8raid*6drives running over here, and I'm afraid that they will
> start falling apart.
>
> Does anyone have any info on these problems ?
> URL:s, pointers, whatever?
> Has IBM said anything about this?
>
> Should I demand that the company selling these drives to us exhange those
> for some other brand, or what?
>
> Cheers
>
> Magnus

* IBM DTLA IDE Made In Hungary
@ 2001-09-17  5:44 Magnus Naeslund(f)
From: Magnus Naeslund(f) @ 2001-09-17  5:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

A while ago I read about these drives on lkml.
Someone was experiencing problems with them, and now I am too.
We have a sh*tload of systems using these in a Promise SuperTrak IDE RAID
setups.
So we have 8raid*6drives running over here, and I'm afraid that they will
start falling apart.

Does anyone have any info on these problems ?
URL:s, pointers, whatever?
Has IBM said anything about this?

Should I demand that the company selling these drives to us exhange those
for some other brand, or what?

Cheers

Magnus

 Programmer/Networker [|] Magnus Naeslund
 PGP Key: http://www.genline.nu/mag_pgp.txt