* Bug: 2.4.0-test12 w/ PCMCIA on ThinkPad: KERNEL:  assertion(dev->ip_ptr==NULL)failed at  dev.c(2422):netdev_finish_unregister
       [not found] <393D1B6D.ECCE0721@mail.com>
@ 2000-12-21  4:12 ` Thomas Hood
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Thomas Hood @ 2000-12-21  4:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

2.4.0-test12 compiled on an IBM ThinkPad 600 51U (Pentium II)
with PCMCIA support.  Same behavior with Linus PCMCIA and
Hinds PCMCIA.  I have a Xircom modem/ethernet card which
works correctly using the serial_cs, xirc2ps_cs, ds, i82365
and pcmcia_core modules; however when I try to "cardctl eject"
or "reboot" I get first,

"KERNEL: assertion(dev->ip_ptr==NULL)failed at
dev.c(2422):netdev_finish_unregister"

(not exact since I had to copy it down on paper ... doesn't
show up in the logs) then a perpetual series of:

"unregister_netdevice: waiting for eth0 to become free. Usage count =
-1"

messages every five seconds or so.  "ps -A" reveals that
modprobe is running; it can't be killed even with "kill -9".
The "ifconfig" command locks up.

Thomas Hood
Please cc: your replies to me at jdthood_AT_mail.com
-

* With recent kernels, ThinkPad 600 won't resume for two minutes after  suspend
       [not found] <393D1B6D.ECCE0721@mail.com>
@ 2001-01-24  3:48 ` Thomas Hood
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Thomas Hood @ 2001-01-24  3:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi.

With recent kernels, my ThinkPad 600 won't resume for two minutes
after it is suspended.  When the Fn key is pressed the machine
starts up, the CD-ROM scans, the screen backlight turns on,
and the APM light flashes.  But then it just stays like that
instead of restarting the CPU; it is completely hung, although
the APM light continues to flash.  If I wait more than about
two minutes with the machine suspended, however, then everything
resumes normally.

I have been running Linux for two years.  This never happened
before a couple weeks ago when I upgraded to kernels 2.2.18 and
then 2.4.0 .  I have since tested kernel 2.2.17 and see the
same problem.  Do I have a hardware problem, or might something
have changed in the kernel that could lead to this behavior?

Thomas Hood
jdthood_AT_yahoo.co.uk
-

* Re: With recent kernels, ThinkPad 600 won't resume for two minutes after  suspend
@ 2001-01-24  4:43   ` Tomasz Przygoda
From: Tomasz Przygoda @ 2001-01-24  4:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Hood; +Cc: linux-kernel

I have 600X and 2.2.1[6-8] work just fine.
the only silly thing is I have to switch to text console before sspending
the laptop, otherwise after resume the X looses keyboard and you can
only login from network :(

On Tue, 23 Jan 2001, Thomas Hood wrote:

> Hi.
>
> With recent kernels, my ThinkPad 600 won't resume for two minutes
> after it is suspended.  When the Fn key is pressed the machine
> starts up, the CD-ROM scans, the screen backlight turns on,
> and the APM light flashes.  But then it just stays like that
> instead of restarting the CPU; it is completely hung, although
> the APM light continues to flash.  If I wait more than about
> two minutes with the machine suspended, however, then everything
> resumes normally.
>
> I have been running Linux for two years.  This never happened
> before a couple weeks ago when I upgraded to kernels 2.2.18 and
> then 2.4.0 .  I have since tested kernel 2.2.17 and see the
> same problem.  Do I have a hardware problem, or might something
> have changed in the kernel that could lead to this behavior?
>
> Thomas Hood
> jdthood_AT_yahoo.co.uk
> -

Tomek,

* Bug: 2.4.0 w/ PCMCIA on ThinkPad: KERNEL:  assertion(dev->ip_ptr==NULL)failed at  dev.c(2422):netdev_finish_unregister
       [not found] <393D1B6D.ECCE0721@mail.com>
@ 2001-01-29 19:15 ` Thomas Hood
From: Thomas Hood @ 2001-01-29 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Dear l-k.

I'm still having this problem with kernel 2.4.0:

Conditions:
Linux 2.4.0 compiled on an IBM ThinkPad 600 51U (Pentium II)
laptop with PCMCIA support.  Same behavior with integral kernel
PCMCIA, modular kernel PCMCIA and modular Hinds PCMCIA.  System
is Progeny Debian beta II.

I have a Xircom modem/ethernet card which works correctly using
the serial_cs, xirc2ps_cs, ds, i82365 and pcmcia_core modules;
however when I try to "cardctl eject" or "reboot" I get first,
   "KERNEL: assertion(dev->ip_ptr==NULL)failed at
    dev.c(2422):netdev_finish_unregister"
(not exact since I had to copy it down on paper ... doesn't
show up in the logs) then a perpetual series of:
   "unregister_netdevice: waiting for eth0 to become free.
    Usage count = -1"
messages every five seconds or so.  "ps -A" reveals that
modprobe is running; it can't be killed even with "kill -9".
The "ifconfig" command locks up.  Shutdown won't complete
so I end up having to use SysRq-S-U-B to reboot.

This problem only occurs if the Xircom card is connected to
the Ethernet (in which case it is configured using DHCP).
If the card is left unconnected to the network, the problem
does not occur---the card can be ejected.

Thomas Hood
Please cc: your replies to me at jdthood_AT_yahoo.co.uk
-

* [BUG] Shutting down PCMCIA driver in Linux 2.4.1, "Trying to free  nonexistent resource <000003e0-000003e1>"
       [not found] <393D1B6D.ECCE0721@mail.com>
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2001-02-05  0:19 ` Thomas Hood
From: Thomas Hood @ 2001-02-05  0:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

I get this message when shutting down Linux with 2.4.1 kernel,
kernel PCMCIA support compiled as a module.

$ cat /proc/ioports
03e0-03e1 : i82365
$ sudo reboot
(reboot)
$ grep 3e0 /var/log/messages
Feb  4 18:13:44 thanatos kernel: Trying to free nonexistent resource <000003e0-000003e1>

* Re: [BUG] Shutting down PCMCIA driver in Linux 2.4.1, "Trying to free nonexistent resource <000003e0-000003e1>"
       [not found] <393D1B6D.ECCE0721@mail.com>
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2001-02-05  9:26 ` David Woodhouse
From: David Woodhouse @ 2001-02-05  9:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Hood; +Cc: linux-kernel

jdthoodREMOVETHIS@mail.com said:
> I get this message when shutting down Linux with 2.4.1 kernel, kernel
> PCMCIA support compiled as a module.

> Trying to free nonexistent resource <000003e0-000003e1>

It's harmless. You can ignore it. It'll be cleaned up, but there are far
more interesting bugs to squash first :)

--
dwmw2

-