* RE: Linux not adhering to BIOS Drive boot order?
@ 2001-01-16 16:35 Venkatesh Ramamurthy
From: Venkatesh Ramamurthy @ 2001-01-16 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Brian Gerst', Venkatesh Ramamurthy
  Cc: 'David Woodhouse', 'linux-scsi@vger.kernel.org',
	'linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org', 'Alan Cox'

> When the cards are of different make the order is solely dependent on
> the order that the drivers are initialized in the kernel.  If you have
> modules enabled, only build the driver for your root device into the
> kernel image and have the other modular.  This lets you control the
> initialization order to your liking.
	[Venkatesh Ramamurthy]  I think there should be a better way to
handle this , compiling is one of the options, but an end-user should not
think of compiling. The end user needs to put an another card and connect
drives and get his system up and running. He should not think of compiling
the drivers, if it is already part of the kernel / initrd to get his system
running.

-

* Re: Linux not adhering to BIOS Drive boot order?
@ 2001-01-18 16:55 David Balazic
From: David Balazic @ 2001-01-18 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux Kernel ML; +Cc: Matti Aarnio

Matti Aarnio (matti.aarnio@zmailer.org) wrote :

>   On Wed, Jan 17, 2001 at 08:22:22PM +0100, Werner Almesberger wrote:
>    > The only cases when you really need to know the name of a disk is when
>    > - doing disk-level management, e.g. partitioning or creating file
>    > systems (*)
>    > - adding a swap partition (sigh)
>    > - telling your boot loader where to put its boot sector
>
>      2.4.0 with devfs mounted at boot time into /dev/
>
>      Only thing missing is that here /dev/scsi/host0/ propably should be
>      a symlink to something like /dev/bus/pci/BB/II.F ...
>      Or perhaps /dev/scsi/BUS/BB/II.F/busN/targetT/lunL/partP
>      but mixing in ISA-bus controllers is somewhat tough..
>
>    $ mount
>    /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part3 on / type ext2 (rw)
>    /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target2/lun0/part2 on /home type ext2 (rw)
>    /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part4 on /usr type ext2 (rw)
>    /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target2/lun0/part1 on /usr/src type ext2 (rw)
>    /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part1 on /boot type ext2 (rw)
>     I do, of course, use mounting with LABEL=
>
>      This new style (which contains, hopefully, physical PCI location)
>      mount device paths will failry easily handle question about which
>      is where... And the partitions are PHYSICAL partition numbers,
>      not some logical ones. That is true with /dev/sdXP case as well
>      as with /dev/hdXP case.

What is the difference between physical and logical partitions ?
How does this solve the "I deleted hda5 and now the old hda6 became
hda5"
problem ?

--
David Balazic

* Re: Linux not adhering to BIOS Drive boot order?
@ 2001-01-18 16:36 Andries.Brouwer
From: Andries.Brouwer @ 2001-01-18 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Werner.Almesberger, matti.aarnio; +Cc: linux-kernel, linux-scsi

Matti Aarnio writes:

> And the partitions are PHYSICAL partition numbers,
> not some logical ones.

That is very interesting. Can you explain to me what
physical partition numbers are?

Andries
-

* Re: Linux not adhering to BIOS Drive boot order?
@ 2001-01-18 11:01 David Balazic
From: David Balazic @ 2001-01-18 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux Kernel ML; +Cc: Tim Fletcher

Tim Fletcher <tim@parrswood.manchester.sch.uk> wrote :

> > How does MD/RAID0 know which array should be /dev/md0? What if you had a
> > second array on /dev/hdb and /dev/hdd, would that become /dev/md0 (assuming
> > it had a kernel/boot sector)?
>
> /etc/raidtab specifies which drives belong in which array, but I only have
>  hda and hdc so I can't really answer the question

What happens if /dev/md0 is /dev/sda and /dev/sdc ( the system also has
sdb )
and sda fails or is removed ?
the old sdb will now be sda and old-sdc will be sdb.
md0 will look into sda , which is now the non-md disk , and
sdc , which doesn't exists any more ???

--
David Balazic

* RE: Linux not adhering to BIOS Drive boot order?
@ 2001-01-17 11:04 David Balazic
From: David Balazic @ 2001-01-17 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dr. Kelsey Hudson; +Cc: Linux Kernel ML

Dr. Kelsey Hudson (kernel@blackhole.compendium-tech.com) wrote :
>    On Tue, 16 Jan 2001, Venkatesh Ramamurthy wrote:
>
>    > [Venkatesh Ramamurthy] Dont you think that mounting and booting
>    > based on disk label names is better, then relying on device nodes which can
>    > change when a new card is added?. The existing patch for 2.2.xx is quite
>    > small and it does not bloat the kernel too much either. I think we can port
>    > it for 2.4.XX with ease.In my words it is worth the effort
>
>    Of course that would be better. The only complaint I have with such a
>    system is that of backwards compatibility...as long as the legacy device
>    names are still supported i would have no problem with it at all.

Yes, legacy names are supported. It is 100% backward compatible.
As far as I know ( I'm the author of the patch )

>    however, this brings up an interesting question: what happens if two disks
>    (presumably from two different machines) have the same disk label?

The first one found will be used. You are dependent on the ordering,
only in this special case, while before you were depending on ordering
every time.

> what
>    happens then? for instance, i have several linux machines both at my
>    workplace and my home. if for some reason one of these machines dies due
>    to hardware failure and i want to get stuff off the drives, i put the disk
>    containing the /home partition on the failed machine into a working
>    machine and reboot. What /home gets mounted then? the original /home or
>    the new one from the dead machine? (and don't say end users wouldn't
>    possibly do that... if they are adding hardware into their systems this is
>    by no means beyond their capabilities)
>   at least with physical device nodes i can say 'computer, you will mount
>    this partition on this mountpoint!' and be done with it.

You can still do this, nothing is preventing you from it.
If you have /home in your fstab by its label, then you must
change this before you insert the other disk. Possibilities :
( to change in /etc/fstab)
 - use UUID instead of volume-label -> no conflicts ever
 - temporarily relabel your /home
 - temporarily use a device node

--
David Balazic

* Re: Linux not adhering to BIOS Drive boot order?
@ 2001-01-17 10:56 David Balazic
From: David Balazic @ 2001-01-17 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew D. Pitts; +Cc: linux-kernel

Matthew D. Pitts (mpitts@suite224.net) wrote :

> Guys,
>
> > And this is a problem that has plagues all PC operating systems, but has never
> > been a problem on the Macintosh. Why? Because the Mac was designed to handle
> > this problem, but the PC never was.
>
> Quite true on this point.

Amiga handles it too.

> > The Mac never enumerates its devices like the PC does (no C: D: etc, no
> > /dev/sda, /dev/sdb, or anything like that). It also remembers the boot device
> > in its EEPROM (the Startup Disk Control Panel handles this).
>
> For ATA drives the bios handles this.

No it doesn't. Put your root-fs on hda6 ( not unusual in dual boot
setups ),
delete hda5, watch your linux fail to boot.
( the kernel will be loaded , but it won't find the root-fs , because it
looks
in hda6 , but the partition has "migrated" to hda5 )

> > The only way to solve this problem is the DESIGN IT INTO THE OS! Someone needs
> > to stand up and say, "This is a problem, and I'm going to fix it." There needs
-------------------------^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Amen to that !

> > to be a "device mount order database" or some kind, and all the disk drivers
> > need to access that database to determine where to put the devices it finds.
>
> NO! What needs to happen is:
> 1) the person who installs a second scsi card should read the manual BEFORE
> installing it so they know how to disable the boot features if they aren't
> needed,

This won't fix the "kernel doesn't find root-fs" problem.

> or
>
> 2) install only one bootable scsi card, period.

Same ( or similar ) problem as before ...

>  Anything else is a useless kludge that will come back and bite us in the
>  ass.

Kludges are bad, unfortunately that is all we have currently :-(

> > The only problem is BIOS boot. That information is, I believe, stored in the
> > ESCD, but I don't know if it's reliable enough and complete enough to be usable
> > by Linux.
>
> It seems to work well enough.

For the "load the kernel" part.
Most of the times.

--
David Balazic

* Re: Linux not adhering to BIOS Drive boot order?
@ 2001-01-17 10:48 David Balazic
From: David Balazic @ 2001-01-17 10:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Dilger; +Cc: linux-kernel

Andreas Dilger <adilger@turbolinux.com> wrote :

> David Woodhouse writes:
> > There are patches available for the 2.2 kernel which provide the facility
> > to mount by UUID or volume label. It seems that nobody is actively
> > maintaining those at the moment. If you want to update those to the current
> > 2.2 and 2.4 kernels, well volunteered.
>
> I'm quite interested in this patch, and have taken a good look at it.
> Some changes are in order (IMHO) to make it more usable. It should take
> parameters that are the same as in /etc/fstab (i.e. LABEL= and UUID=
> instead of L: and UUID:).

A trivial change...

> In the end I re-wrote most of the patch, so
> that we resolve ROOT_DEV before calling mount_root(), just to be a bit
> more consistent. I will release a new patch for 2.2.18 and 2.4.0 after
> David Balazic has a look at it.

Cool, send it to me !

> I know a bit about LILO, so I should be able to get the "root=LABEL=" to
> work there as well.

There were no problems with the original patch with LILO.
You just must use append="root=xxxxx" instead of simply
root=xxx , because LILO tries to be "smart" .... at least the
version I used then did.

> I also need to do some work like this in e2fsprogs, so it may make sense
> to create a little library that can be updated to handle other kinds of
> filesystem/partition LABELs and UUIDs as the need arises. They were
> talking about putting a LABEL/UUID into reiserfs recently. This saves
> us from having to fix ext2-specific in dozens of utilities (e.g. LILO,
> mount, fsck, dump, etc).
>
> One reason why this may NOT ever make it into the kernel is that I know
> "kernel poking at devices" is really frowned upon.

This an ugly hack , if you ask me. The identificators ( be it labels ,
UUIDs
or whatever ) should be outside the partitions. Otherwise cases with
swap partitions , <any FS that doesn't support labels/UUIDs> unformatted
partitions etc. can not be handled.

--
David Balazic

* Re: Linux not adhering to BIOS Drive boot order?
@ 2001-01-17 10:21 David Balazic
From: David Balazic @ 2001-01-17 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dr. Kelsey Hudson; +Cc: linux-kernel

Dr. Kelsey Hudson wrote :
> On Tue, 16 Jan 2001, Michael Meissner wrote:
> > I'm an end-user, and I have 3 scsi-adapters of two different brands in my
> > system. Many of the people using Linux in high end things like servers,
> > etc. will have multiple scsi controlers. People are using Linux in lots of
> > things from small embedded devices to large systems, and Linux needs to address
> > needs in every area.
>
> see, thats where you and i disagree...I wouldn't call you an end user
> based upon that fact. End users (IMO) are those people who sit back and
> buy a PC and expect it to Just Work(tm). Servers, embedded devices, et al
> (read: high-end applications) do not equate to end-user applications,
> IMNSHO. Besides, *most* (and I say most because I've seen a sharp decline
> in the mentality of Linux users as of late) people who are going to manage
> a high-scale server are going to know what the hell they are doing in the
> first place, so I highly doubt that the end-user argument holds merit
> against this.
>
> Linux, whether you like it or not, is a full-scale UNIX. It takes a good
> (read: talented) system administrator to manage any UNIX properly...A good
> sysadmin reads documentation....Seems clear enough to me. But, then again,
> this is coming from an experienced sysadmin so my opinion *must* be
> biased.

Recently my neighbor ( in no way a high-end user ) called me over,
because his Linux setup wouldn't boot anymore. All he did was to add
( or maybe remove, can remember now ) a partition on his IDE disk.
Linux assigned different device nodes to the partition as it did before
the change, so it couldn't find its root-fs.

The same problem exists with _all_ devices that are assigned in the
"order I found them today" , like audio devices , network devices etc...

BTW, where is the scsihosts= kernel parameter documented ?

--
David Balazic

* RE: Linux not adhering to BIOS Drive boot order?
@ 2001-01-16 22:54 Venkatesh Ramamurthy
From: Venkatesh Ramamurthy @ 2001-01-16 22:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Peter Samuelson', Venkatesh Ramamurthy; +Cc: linux-kernel

> You seem to be full of things that "we" can implement.  So I just have
> to wonder: do you by any chance have some prototype code somewhere to
> figure out, reliably, which SCSI cards have BIOS extensions enabled,
> and the order they hook in?

	[Venkat] It would be a very bad idea for the linux kernel to look
into the card to see whether the BIOS for that card has been enabled to make
it determine the scsi drive order. If you had followed the earlier threads,
the correct way to proceed would be to use labels to make things node
independent. I think Andreas is working on patch for 2.2.18 and 2.4.0
kernel.

-

* RE: Linux not adhering to BIOS Drive boot order?
@ 2001-01-16 20:35 Venkatesh Ramamurthy
From: Venkatesh Ramamurthy @ 2001-01-16 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Dr. Kelsey Hudson', Venkatesh Ramamurthy
  Cc: 'linux-scsi@vger.kernel.org',
	'linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org'

> Of course that would be better. The only complaint I have with such a
> system is that of backwards compatibility...as long as the legacy device
> names are still supported i would have no problem with it at all.
>
> however, this brings up an interesting question: what happens if two disks
> (presumably from two different machines) have the same disk label? what
> happens then? for instance, i have several linux machines both at my
> workplace and my home. if for some reason one of these machines dies due
> to hardware failure and i want to get stuff off the drives, i put the disk
> containing the /home partition on the failed machine into a working
> machine and reboot. What /home gets mounted then? the original /home or
> the new one from the dead machine? (and don't say end users wouldn't
> possibly do that... if they are adding hardware into their systems this is
> by no means beyond their capabilities)
>
> at least with physical device nodes i can say 'computer, you will mount
> this partition on this mountpoint!' and be done with it.
	[Venkatesh Ramamurthy]  You are getting my point exactly. This was
my argument from the first, we should have a efficient mechanism to mount
partitions

> so tell me then, how would one discern between two partitions with the
> same label?
	[Venkatesh Ramamurthy]  If the OS detects two partitions of the same
name , either dont mount both , but display an error  (or) mount the first
one it finds ( this is not a good idea but)

-

* RE: Linux not adhering to BIOS Drive boot order?
@ 2001-01-16 20:14 Venkatesh Ramamurthy
From: Venkatesh Ramamurthy @ 2001-01-16 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Dr. Kelsey Hudson'
  Cc: 'linux-scsi@vger.kernel.org',

@ 2001-01-16 17:39 Venkatesh Ramamurthy
From: Venkatesh Ramamurthy @ 2001-01-16 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Bryan Henderson', linux-kernel, Venkatesh Ramamurthy

> From a layering point of view, it makes a lot more sense to
> me for the label (or signature or whatever) for this purpose
> to be in the partition table than inside the filesystem.  The
> parts of the system that assign devices their identities already
> know about that part of the disk.
	[Venkatesh Ramamurthy]  The LILO boot loader and the LILO command
line utility should be changed for this. There are some issues when we have
different set of labels names for file system and partition table. The LILO
command line utility should make use of the disk labels of the file system
and use this for creating the partition disk label name. This is something
like assigning a label for kernel in lilo.conf. Is anybody doing this?
-

* RE: Linux not adhering to BIOS Drive boot order?
@ 2001-01-16 17:30 Bryan Henderson
From: Bryan Henderson @ 2001-01-16 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel, Venkatesh Ramamurthy

@ 2001-01-16 17:04 David Balazic
From: David Balazic @ 2001-01-16 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel; +Cc: David Woodhouse, Venkatesh Ramamurthy

David Woodhouse wrote :
> Venkateshr@ami.com said:
> > we need some kind of signature being written in the drive, which the
> > kernel will use for determining the boot drive and later re-order
> > drives, if required.
>
> > Is someone handling this already?
>
> It should be possible to read the BIOS setting for this option and
> behave accordingly. Please give full details of how to read and interpret
> the information stored in the CMOS for all versions of AMI BIOS, and I'll
> take a look at this.

To mount the right partitions , refer to the by the volume label or
UUID.
( read the mount and fstab man pages for more info )

This work after the root-fs is already mounted.

Currently ( AFAIK ) the root-fs can be specified only as a major:minor
pair ( and maybe also as a "/dev/hdxx" string )

Once I wrote a patch that allows specifying the root-fs by
UUID or volume label. It is available at
http://linux-patches.rock-projects.com/v2.2-f/uuid.html

It is for 2.2.x kernel , since nobody seems to be interested in it.

As for the "device nodes are assigned to disk devices almost randomly"
problem : I complained about this years ago , but nothing happened.

If someone knows a way to reliably find a certain partition ,
regardless of the (non)existence and position of other partitions
and disks in the system , short of scanning the contents of all
available
partitions , please tell me.

Party on !
--
David Balazic

[parent not found: <Venkateshr@ami.com>]
* RE: Linux not adhering to BIOS Drive boot order?
@ 2001-01-16 16:51 Venkatesh Ramamurthy
From: Venkatesh Ramamurthy @ 2001-01-16 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Douglas Gilbert', Venkatesh Ramamurthy
  Cc: 'linux-scsi@vger.kernel.org',
	'linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org'

> The scsi host numbers will be allocated to the HBAs in
> the order shown starting at 0. This method does not
> distinguish between the two advansys controllers, luckily
> swapping their positions on the PCI bus does.
	[Venkatesh Ramamurthy]  Just think an end-user fuguring out this!!!!
Asking him to change PCI slots and trying it out. My point is the end user
should not worry about all this. All he does is plugs a new different/ same
type of card, and gets it going. Why should the linux kernel force the user
to change the PCI slots. Will this not make it more user - unfriendly

-

* RE: Linux not adhering to BIOS Drive boot order?
@ 2001-01-16 16:46 Venkatesh Ramamurthy
From: Venkatesh Ramamurthy @ 2001-01-16 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Matthias Andree', 'linux-scsi@vger.kernel.org',
	'linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org'

> > Is someone handling this already?
>
> "mount by uuid"?
>
> Amiga's Rigid Disk Block?
	[Venkatesh Ramamurthy]  Something like this is better. The problem
is where do we store this info. Last sector is one of the options. Does
anyone know where NT stores this info?

-

* RE: Linux not adhering to BIOS Drive boot order?
@ 2001-01-16 16:43 Venkatesh Ramamurthy
From: Venkatesh Ramamurthy @ 2001-01-16 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Dominik Kubla', Venkatesh Ramamurthy
  Cc: 'David Woodhouse', 'linux-scsi@vger.kernel.org',
	'linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org', 'Alan Cox'

> This is due to the fixed ordering of the scsi drivers. You can change the
> order of the scsi hosts with the "scsihosts" kernel parameter. See
> linux/drivers/scsi/scsi.c
	[Venkatesh Ramamurthy]  I think it would be a nice idea if we can
make this process automatic , with out user typing in the order and
remembering it. The fact that a kernel developer is not using the machines
daily to get his work done should be in our minds. If we do this Linux would
become more user friendly

> Yours,
>   Dominik
> --
> http://petition.eurolinux.org/index_html - No Software Patents In Europe!
> http://petition.lugs.ch/ (in Switzerland)
-

* RE: Linux not adhering to BIOS Drive boot order?
@ 2001-01-16 16:31 Venkatesh Ramamurthy
From: Venkatesh Ramamurthy @ 2001-01-16 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'arjan@fenrus.demon.nl', Venkatesh Ramamurthy
  Cc: linux-kernel, 'linux-scsi@vger.kernel.org'

> In article <1355693A51C0D211B55A00105ACCFE64E9518C@ATL_MS1> you wrote:
>
> > we need some kind of signature being written in the drive, which the
> kernel
> > will use for determining the boot drive and later re-order drives, if
> > required.
>
> Like the ext2 labels? (man e2label)
	[Venkatesh Ramamurthy]  This re-ordering of the scsi drives should
be done by SCSI ML , so is incorporating ext2 fs data structure knowledge on
the SCSI ML a good idea?.

-

* RE: Linux not adhering to BIOS Drive boot order?
@ 2001-01-16 16:19 Venkatesh Ramamurthy
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Venkatesh Ramamurthy @ 2001-01-16 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'David Woodhouse', Venkatesh Ramamurthy
  Cc: 'linux-scsi@vger.kernel.org',
	'linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org', 'Alan Cox'

> It should be possible to read the BIOS setting for this option and
> behave accordingly. Please give full details of how to read and interpret
> the information stored in the CMOS for all versions of AMI BIOS, and I'll
> take a look at this.
	[Venkatesh Ramamurthy]  When i meant BIOS setting option i meant the
SCSI BIOS settings not system BIOS option. The two SCSI controllers are of
different make. This situation is made worse when the system has many cards
of different makes and one of the controller somewhere in the middle of all
the slots is made the boot controller.

-

* Linux not adhering to BIOS Drive boot order?
@ 2001-01-16 15:49 Venkatesh Ramamurthy
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Venkatesh Ramamurthy @ 2001-01-16 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'linux-scsi@vger.kernel.org',
	'linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org', 'Alan Cox'

Hi,
I have one issue which requires fix from the linux kernel.
Initially i put a SCSI controller and install the OS on the drive connected
to it. After installing the OS (on sda), the customer puts another SCSI
controller. The BIOS for the first controller has BIOS enabled and for the
second controller does not have the BIOS enabled.

The linux loads the driver for the second controller first and assigns sda
to it first , and the actual boot drive gets some sdX device node.
>From the lilo prompt we can override it with root=/dev/sdX to boot to the
correct drive and controller, but for a end -user using these cards, this is
no fun.

Can the linux kernel be changed in such a way that kernel will look for the
actual boot drive and re-order the drives so that mounting can go on in the
right order.

we need some kind of signature being written in the drive, which the kernel
will use for determining the boot drive and later re-order drives, if
required.

Is someone handling this already?

TIA

-