* Serial API ('serport' ?)
@ 2002-10-14  9:07 Romain Lievin
From: Romain Lievin @ 2002-10-14  9:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rmk; +Cc: linux-kernel

Hi,

I would like to know whether a kind of parport exists for the serial ports.
This will allow me to do some low level accesses on the serial port pins (CTS/RTS & DSR/DTR).
I need to implement a bit-banging access on the serial port which can coexist with the other serial ports.

I can not use request_region/release_region because the region has already been locked by the serial port driver.

Any idea ?

--
Romain Lievin, aka 'roms'       <roms@lpg.ticalc.org>
Web site                        <http://lpg.ticalc.org/prj_tilp>

* Re: Serial API ('serport' ?)
@ 2002-10-14  9:14 ` Russell King
From: Russell King @ 2002-10-14  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Romain Lievin; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Mon, Oct 14, 2002 at 11:07:55AM +0200, Romain Lievin wrote:
> I would like to know whether a kind of parport exists for the serial ports.

Not currently.

> This will allow me to do some low level accesses on the serial port pins
> (CTS/RTS & DSR/DTR). I need to implement a bit-banging access on the serial
> port which can coexist with the other serial ports.

Although these are available to user space, they're not easily controlled
from anything outside the serial driver at the moment.  I'm aware of this
limitation, and it needs to be fixed; there are keyboards (eg) for the iPAQ
that need to bitbang these signals.

Unfortunately that doesn't help you.

--
Russell King (rmk@arm.linux.org.uk)                The developer of ARM Linux

* Re: Serial API ('serport' ?)
@ 2002-10-14 12:32 ` Brian Gerst
From: Brian Gerst @ 2002-10-14 12:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Romain Lievin; +Cc: linux-kernel

Romain Lievin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to know whether a kind of parport exists for the serial ports.
> This will allow me to do some low level accesses on the serial port pins (CTS/RTS & DSR/DTR).
> I need to implement a bit-banging access on the serial port which can coexist with the other serial ports.
>
> I can not use request_region/release_region because the region has already been locked by the serial port driver.
>
> Any idea ?

TTY line disciplines should be what you are looking for.

--
				Brian Gerst