* Did the SCO Group plant UnixWare source in the Linux kernel?
@ 2003-05-02  3:21 The Spirit of Open Source
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: The Spirit of Open Source @ 2003-05-02  3:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

This C|Net news article says the SCO Group claims to have found many instances
of copyrighted UnixWare source code being inserted verbatim into the Linux
kernel:

	http://msnbc-cnet.com.com/2100-1016_3-999371.html

I can see a Linux developer copying copy from one of BSDs (which is cool), but
UnixWare?!?  Come on.

If there's UnixWare source in the Linux kernel, a SCO Group employee put it
there!  After all, who else would have such easy access to UnixWare sources?

If a SCO Group employee put the UnixWare source code into Linux, that begs the
question:

	Did the SCO Group conspire to plant copyrighted code in the Linux
	kernel so they could sue IBM for US$1 billion?

I believe the Justice Department calls that fraud, and that's a crime that CEOs
go to jail for.  Are you listening Darl McBride?

[parent not found: <fa.gqa0utv.1i0gigr@ifi.uio.no>]
* Re: Did the SCO Group plant UnixWare source in the Linux kernel?
@ 2003-05-02 14:06 Ben Collins
From: Ben Collins @ 2003-05-02 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Friesen; +Cc: The Spirit of Open Source, linux-kernel

> "Chris Sontag: We are using objective third parties to do comparisons of
> our UNIX System V [SCO-owned Unix] source code and Red Hat as an example.
> We are coming across many instances where our proprietary software has
> simply been copied and pasted or changed in order to hide the origin of our
> System V code in Red Hat. This is the kind of thing that we will need to
> address with many Linux distribution companies at some point."

This almost sounds like they are pointing to userspace code rather than
kernel code. I know Redhat and other dists put patches on their kernels,
but I seriously doubt it's anything like retrofiting UnixWare code. It's
more like supporting newer hardware, performance tweaking, and such.

--
Debian     - http://www.debian.org/
Linux 1394 - http://www.linux1394.org/

* RE: Did the SCO Group plant UnixWare source in the Linux kernel?
@ 2003-05-02 14:57 Downing, Thomas
From: Downing, Thomas @ 2003-05-02 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jlnance, Christoph Hellwig; +Cc: linux-kernel

Has anybody had a look at VxWorks code?  Some of it looks
suspicious to me...

From: Downing, Thomas @ 2003-05-02 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: root, Ben Collins; +Cc: Chris Friesen, The Spirit of Open Source, linux-kernel

From: Richard B. Johnson [mailto:root@chaos.analogic.com]

[snip]
> This just doesn't make any sense and seems to be some garbage invented
> by media-hypes, err types.

It doesn't have to make sense - look who they hired as the lead counsel
for this 'get the unlicensed UN*X' push :-(