From: Resident Boxholder <resid@boxho.com>
To: Kernel List <linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: many IDE PCI cards "spurious 8259a" irq15(SMBus nforce2)
Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2003 02:01:23 -0400	[thread overview]

"Success story" got me in deeper, another round of disappointment.
"spurious 8259a interrrupt on irq15"
is the only message, irq15 is nforce2 SMBus.

This got me to try using four hd's on two Promise cards, no drives on
mbo's amd74xx in the nforce2 set,
no cd's. I get lots of hangs. Lots of crashes but this bit of info--many
other combos yield no clue just a
lockup but maybe the irq is SMBus nforce2 and is that io-apic code?
"spurious 8259a on irq 15" on
all sorts of ops on files and drives, fsck, kernel compile, that message
sometimes just before hang.

I've done 87 reboots 534 fscks 27 kernel compiles failed but I can get a
kernel compiled with
io-apic turned off in config, I'll try it!

Or throw out ide and buy all scsis, but scsi might hang due to io-apic,
too, if that's what it is.

cmd680 sii680 card doesn't work either. no error logged there, just hangs.

2 hd's on mobo and two on promise, no

2 hd's on mobo and two on siig sii680, no

none on mobo and four on two Promise cards, no

turn off irq unmask, no

lower udma settings, no

MSI nk7-delta mbo nforce2 amd xp 3000+ tried disabled usb, audio,
ethernet, serial, parallel, apic

-Bob