* Of Mice and Linux
@ 2003-12-08 18:04 Scott Robert Ladd
From: Scott Robert Ladd @ 2003-12-08 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Please indulge a minor story in regard to testing beta kernels.

Last Friday, I made a minor change to my Linux .config and rebuilt
2.6.0-test11. Soon thereafter, my mouse began getting "stuck", sometimes
for several seconds, refusing to move no matter how vigorously I wiggled
my wrist.

I rebuilt the kernel a couple of times, turning on and off various
options; I plugged and unplugged devices from the USB ports; a
considerable amount of cursing ensued. The problem was erratic -- and
frustrating, because I hadn't had much trouble with 2.6 (which I've been
using since the 2.6.4x days).

Then I borrowed a mouse from another machine, plugged it in -- and the
replacement rodent worked flawlessly. It seems that my mouse broke just
about the same time as I installed test11. Being a software guy, I
should have blamed the hardware first...

...especially since the truth was right in front of me, emblazoned
boldly across the mouse: the word "Microsoft".

I think the replacement will be from Logitech.

--
Scott Robert Ladd

* Re: Of Mice and Linux
@ 2003-12-08 19:52 ` Florin Iucha
From: Florin Iucha @ 2003-12-08 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Dec 08, 2003 at 01:04:11PM -0500, Scott Robert Ladd wrote:
> Please indulge a minor story in regard to testing beta kernels.
>
> Last Friday, I made a minor change to my Linux .config and rebuilt
> 2.6.0-test11. Soon thereafter, my mouse began getting "stuck", sometimes
> for several seconds, refusing to move no matter how vigorously I wiggled
> my wrist.
>
> I rebuilt the kernel a couple of times, turning on and off various
> options; I plugged and unplugged devices from the USB ports; a
> considerable amount of cursing ensued. The problem was erratic -- and
> frustrating, because I hadn't had much trouble with 2.6 (which I've been
> using since the 2.6.4x days).
>
> Then I borrowed a mouse from another machine, plugged it in -- and the
> replacement rodent worked flawlessly. It seems that my mouse broke just
> about the same time as I installed test11. Being a software guy, I
> should have blamed the hardware first...
>
> ...especially since the truth was right in front of me, emblazoned
> boldly across the mouse: the word "Microsoft".
>
> I think the replacement will be from Logitech.

Hrm... you might be onto something here. My Microsoft mouse gave up
around test-10 or so. Then the USB ports started acting funny on my
SIS 745 motherboard...

florin

--

Don't question authority: they don't know either!

* Re: Of Mice and Linux
@ 2003-12-08 20:55 ` Zan Lynx
From: Zan Lynx @ 2003-12-08 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 2003-12-08 at 11:04, Scott Robert Ladd wrote:
> Please indulge a minor story in regard to testing beta kernels.
>
> Last Friday, I made a minor change to my Linux .config and rebuilt
> 2.6.0-test11. Soon thereafter, my mouse began getting "stuck", sometimes
> for several seconds, refusing to move no matter how vigorously I wiggled
> my wrist.
>
> I rebuilt the kernel a couple of times, turning on and off various
> options; I plugged and unplugged devices from the USB ports; a
> considerable amount of cursing ensued. The problem was erratic -- and
> frustrating, because I hadn't had much trouble with 2.6 (which I've been
> using since the 2.6.4x days).
>
> Then I borrowed a mouse from another machine, plugged it in -- and the
> replacement rodent worked flawlessly. It seems that my mouse broke just
> about the same time as I installed test11. Being a software guy, I
> should have blamed the hardware first...
>
> ...especially since the truth was right in front of me, emblazoned
> boldly across the mouse: the word "Microsoft".
>
> I think the replacement will be from Logitech.

Are you _sure_ your mouse is broken?  Did you try your Microsoft mouse
on another machine?

I ask because my Microsoft Intellimouse wireless started doing the same
thing after I installed 2.6.0-test11.  I haven't made a bug report
because I haven't had time to bother retrying -test10, removing the
binary Nvidia drivers, and taking out the Reiser4 patches.

But now that you've mentioned the same problem, I'm going to add a "Me
Too!"

And on a different machine, I'm using a Logitech MX700, and it works
perfectly under -test11.
--
Zan Lynx <zlynx@acm.org>

* Re: Of Mice and Linux
@ 2003-12-08 20:56   ` Scott Robert Ladd
From: Scott Robert Ladd @ 2003-12-08 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Florin Iucha wrote:
> Hrm... you might be onto something here. My Microsoft mouse gave up
> around test-10 or so. Then the USB ports started acting funny on my
> SIS 745 motherboard...

Is it possible for Linux to kill a Microsoft (or any) mouse via the USB
port? I hadn't seriously considered that problem... I don't have the
proper test equipment to check the voltages on the USBs to see if
something is amiss.

And here I was going to write it off as "mouse suicide", the result of a
Microsoft mouse becoming depressed because it was attached to a Linux
system.

(Note: For real humor, I should post a story to Slashdot about how Linux
kills Microsoft mice, with misleading anecdotes and undiscovered
evidence. But, despite my somewhat off-kilter mood today, I will
restrain myself.)

--
Scott Robert Ladd

* [OT] Re: Of Mice and Linux
@ 2003-12-08 22:12     ` Wakko Warner
From: Wakko Warner @ 2003-12-08 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Is it possible for Linux to kill a Microsoft (or any) mouse via the USB
> port? I hadn't seriously considered that problem... I don't have the
> proper test equipment to check the voltages on the USBs to see if
> something is amiss.
>
> And here I was going to write it off as "mouse suicide", the result of a
> Microsoft mouse becoming depressed because it was attached to a Linux
> system.
>
> (Note: For real humor, I should post a story to Slashdot about how Linux
> kills Microsoft mice, with misleading anecdotes and undiscovered
> evidence. But, despite my somewhat off-kilter mood today, I will
> restrain myself.)

I got rid of the mouse long ago, I use guinea pig now!

* Re: Of Mice and Linux
@ 2003-12-09  1:43     ` Joshua Kwan
From: Joshua Kwan @ 2003-12-09  1:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Dec 08, 2003 at 03:56:46PM -0500, Scott Robert Ladd wrote:
> Is it possible for Linux to kill a Microsoft (or any) mouse via the USB
> port? I hadn't seriously considered that problem... I don't have the
> proper test equipment to check the voltages on the USBs to see if
> something is amiss.

Frankly, I've been using a Microsoft USB IntelliMouse on my laptop since
2.5.59, because they're so damn cheap. Hasn't broken yet and I use it
daily.

--
Joshua Kwan

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 827 bytes --]

* Re: Of Mice and Linux
@ 2003-12-09 13:35   ` Scott Robert Ladd
From: Scott Robert Ladd @ 2003-12-09 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Zan Lynx wrote:
> Are you _sure_ your mouse is broken?  Did you try your Microsoft mouse
> on another machine?

Well, I tried it on another Linux machine, and it was intermittently
buggy. Right now, the Microsoft mouse is plugged into a Windows XP/Pro
system, and seems to be trouble-free.

Meanwhile, I picked up a nice, cheery, red Logitech mouse for my 2.6.0
box, and it is working quite well.

--
Scott Robert Ladd