* RE: [Pcihpd-discuss] Re: PCI Hot-plug driver patch for 2.5.74 kernel
@ 2003-07-11 16:10 Sy, Dely L
From: Sy, Dely L @ 2003-07-11 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zink, Dan, Greg KH; +Cc: linux-kernel, pcihpd-discuss, Luck, Tony

Dan,

> We've looked at the patch a bit and would prefer that it not
> be applied as is.  In particular, it seems to remove proper
> detection for features that are in the driver today.  For example,
> the decisions that are made off the subsytem ID...

All the functionality of the original driver should still be there.
Are you referring to the chunk of code in cpqhpc_probe() that bases
on the subsystem ID to detect the capability of the HPC.  This
feature is in phphpc_get_ctrl_cap() in cpqphp_hpc.c.  This patch use
a 16-bit variable, pctlrcap, to capture the capability and decode it
when needed. I can provide more detail information on this if you
need. Let me know if there are some other features you found missing.

> Would it be possible to split this into smaller patches that
> each do one particular thing?

This patch has moved the code around quite a bit to separate out the
resource gathering code to support both HRT & ACPI, and to put the
code that is specific to the Compaq HPC HW programming model in
cpqphp_hpc.c.  If you feel there is a need to split the patch into
smaller ones, we can further discuss on that.

Thanks,
Dely

* Re: [Pcihpd-discuss] Re: PCI Hot-plug driver patch for 2.5.74 kernel
@ 2003-07-11 16:53 ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2003-07-11 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sy, Dely L; +Cc: Zink, Dan, linux-kernel, pcihpd-discuss, Luck, Tony

On Fri, Jul 11, 2003 at 09:10:03AM -0700, Sy, Dely L wrote:
> > Would it be possible to split this into smaller patches that
> > each do one particular thing?
>
> This patch has moved the code around quite a bit to separate out the
> resource gathering code to support both HRT & ACPI, and to put the
> code that is specific to the Compaq HPC HW programming model in
> cpqphp_hpc.c.  If you feel there is a need to split the patch into
> smaller ones, we can further discuss on that.

Yes, I would feel better if you do that.  This patch is just way to big,
and it's hard to see the changes that you have made.  If you can split
it up into a sequence of patches that change one major thing at a time,
I would really appreciate it.

thanks,

greg k-h

* RE: [Pcihpd-discuss] Re: PCI Hot-plug driver patch for 2.5.74 kernel
@ 2003-07-11  4:22 Zink, Dan
From: Zink, Dan @ 2003-07-11  4:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg KH, Dely Sy; +Cc: linux-kernel, pcihpd-discuss, tony.luck

We've looked at the patch a bit and would prefer that it not
be applied as is.  In particular, it seems to remove proper
detection for features that are in the driver today.  For example,
the decisions that are made off the subsytem ID...

Would it be possible to split this into smaller patches that
each do one particular thing?

Regards,
Dan