* Lost Sound from 2.6.24 to 2.6.25 -- CS4236 ISA
@ 2008-05-05 14:06 Pete Clements
From: Pete Clements @ 2008-05-05 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Looks like sound card stops functioning between
2.6.24 and 2.6.25.  Sorry but don't know at what
point.  Card is an isa CS4236. Glad to provide
any other info/testing.
--
Pete Clements

* Re: Lost Sound from 2.6.24 to 2.6.25 -- CS4236 ISA
@ 2008-05-06 12:34 ` Takashi Iwai
From: Takashi Iwai @ 2008-05-06 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pete Clements; +Cc: linux-kernel, Rene Herman

At Mon, 5 May 2008 10:06:51 -0400 (EDT),
Pete Clements wrote:

> Looks like sound card stops functioning between
> 2.6.24 and 2.6.25.

Could you elaborate what do you mean exactly "stop"?  Fail to load or
initialize the driver, or silent output, DMA error...?

>  Sorry but don't know at what
> point.  Card is an isa CS4236. Glad to provide
> any other info/testing.

Any relevant kernel messages are welcome.  Also, if you passed any
(module) options for the sound driver, show it, too.

The biggest change in ISA sound driver codes between 2.6.24 and 2.6.25
is that we dropped the PnP resource re-configuration via module
options of sound drivers.  They have to be adjusted via sysfs now
(if really needed).

Otherwise, if it really worked on 2.6.24, we have a good chance to
identify the affecting changeset via bisect.  There are only a few
changes for sound/isa.

thanks,

Takashi

* Re: Lost Sound from 2.6.24 to 2.6.25 -- CS4236 ISA
@ 2008-05-06 12:47   ` Rene Herman
From: Rene Herman @ 2008-05-06 12:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Takashi Iwai; +Cc: Pete Clements, linux-kernel

On 06-05-08 14:34, Takashi Iwai wrote:

> At Mon, 5 May 2008 10:06:51 -0400 (EDT),
> Pete Clements wrote:
>> Looks like sound card stops functioning between
>> 2.6.24 and 2.6.25.
>
> Could you elaborate what do you mean exactly "stop"?  Fail to load or
> initialize the driver, or silent output, DMA error...?
>
>>  Sorry but don't know at what
>> point.  Card is an isa CS4236. Glad to provide
>> any other info/testing.
>
> Any relevant kernel messages are welcome.  Also, if you passed any
> (module) options for the sound driver, show it, too.
>
> The biggest change in ISA sound driver codes between 2.6.24 and 2.6.25
> is that we dropped the PnP resource re-configuration via module
> options of sound drivers.  They have to be adjusted via sysfs now
> (if really needed).
>
> Otherwise, if it really worked on 2.6.24, we have a good chance to
> identify the affecting changeset via bisect.  There are only a few
> changes for sound/isa.

For what it's worth and as a preliminary comment, snd-cs4236 is my main test
driver and works fine for me.

Rene.

* Re: Lost Sound from 2.6.24 to 2.6.25 -- CS4236 ISA
@ 2008-05-06 15:38   ` Pete Clements
From: Pete Clements @ 2008-05-06 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Takashi Iwai; +Cc: Pete Clements, linux-kernel, Rene Herman

Quoting Takashi Iwai
  > At Mon, 5 May 2008 10:06:51 -0400 (EDT),
  > Pete Clements wrote:
  > >
  > > Looks like sound card stops functioning between
  > > 2.6.24 and 2.6.25.
  >
  > Could you elaborate what do you mean exactly "stop"?  Fail to load or
  > initialize the driver, or silent output, DMA error...?
  >
  > >  Sorry but don't know at what
  > > point.  Card is an isa CS4236. Glad to provide
  > > any other info/testing.
  >
  > Any relevant kernel messages are welcome.  Also, if you passed any
  > (module) options for the sound driver, show it, too.
  >
  > The biggest change in ISA sound driver codes between 2.6.24 and 2.6.25
  > is that we dropped the PnP resource re-configuration via module
  > options of sound drivers.  They have to be adjusted via sysfs now
  > (if really needed).
  >
  > Otherwise, if it really worked on 2.6.24, we have a good chance to
  > identify the affecting changeset via bisect.  There are only a few
  > changes for sound/isa.
  >

  > thanks,
  >
  > Takashi
  > --
All I get is a cyclic noise burst (about 500ms frequency).
No options to module load, prior to 25 manually loaded modules
with 'modprobe snd-cs4236',  with 25+ modules auto load at boot.

By removing "CONFIG_PNPBIOS" get total silence. So would assume the
PNP change the source.

Currently running 26-rc1-git4.

-

@ 2008-05-06 15:51     ` Rene Herman
From: Rene Herman @ 2008-05-06 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pete Clements; +Cc: Takashi Iwai, linux-kernel, Bjorn Helgaas

On 06-05-08 17:38, Pete Clements wrote:

> Quoting Takashi Iwai
>   > At Mon, 5 May 2008 10:06:51 -0400 (EDT),
>   > Pete Clements wrote:
>   > >
>   > > Looks like sound card stops functioning between
>   > > 2.6.24 and 2.6.25.
>   >
>   > Could you elaborate what do you mean exactly "stop"?  Fail to load or
>   > initialize the driver, or silent output, DMA error...?
>   >
>   > >  Sorry but don't know at what
>   > > point.  Card is an isa CS4236. Glad to provide
>   > > any other info/testing.
>   >
>   > Any relevant kernel messages are welcome.  Also, if you passed any
>   > (module) options for the sound driver, show it, too.
>   >
>   > The biggest change in ISA sound driver codes between 2.6.24 and 2.6.25
>   > is that we dropped the PnP resource re-configuration via module
>   > options of sound drivers.  They have to be adjusted via sysfs now
>   > (if really needed).
>   >
>   > Otherwise, if it really worked on 2.6.24, we have a good chance to
>   > identify the affecting changeset via bisect.  There are only a few
>   > changes for sound/isa.

> All I get is a cyclic noise burst (about 500ms frequency).
> No options to module load, prior to 25 manually loaded modules
> with 'modprobe snd-cs4236',  with 25+ modules auto load at boot.
>
> By removing "CONFIG_PNPBIOS" get total silence. So would assume the
> PNP change the source.
>
> Currently running 26-rc1-git4.

There have been quite a few post .25 changes to PnP. Is there a difference
between .24 and .25 or between .24/.25 on the one hand and .26-rc1-git4 on
the other?

Also, does using PNPACPI instead of PNPBIOS change anything?

Rene.

* Re: Lost Sound from 2.6.24 to 2.6.25 -- CS4236 ISA
@ 2008-05-07  2:57       ` Pete Clements
From: Pete Clements @ 2008-05-07  2:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rene Herman; +Cc: Pete Clements, Takashi Iwai, linux-kernel, Bjorn Helgaas

Quoting Rene Herman

  > There have been quite a few post .25 changes to PnP. Is there a difference
  > between .24 and .25 or between .24/.25 on the one hand and .26-rc1-git4 on
  > the other?
  >
  > Also, does using PNPACPI instead of PNPBIOS change anything?
  >
  > Rene.

Had a cold reboot today, now 2.6.25 is working just like 2.6.24. Have rebooted
in and out of 25 multi time and all is fine. Nothing changed to my knowledge so
I can't explain, must have had something screwed up.

Problem does exist post 2.6.25, except just silence. Did manage to get the
cyclic noise back after removing pnp, failing a module load, and adding pnp
back with warm reboots.

System will not configure PNPACPI.

--

@ 2008-05-07 11:29         ` Rene Herman
From: Rene Herman @ 2008-05-07 11:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pete Clements; +Cc: Takashi Iwai, linux-kernel, Bjorn Helgaas

On 07-05-08 04:57, Pete Clements wrote:

> Had a cold reboot today, now 2.6.25 is working just like 2.6.24. Have rebooted
> in and out of 25 multi time and all is fine. Nothing changed to my knowledge so
> I can't explain, must have had something screwed up.
>
> Problem does exist post 2.6.25, except just silence. Did manage to get the
> cyclic noise back after removing pnp, failing a module load, and adding pnp
> back with warm reboots.
>
> System will not configure PNPACPI.

Okay, thanks. Reproduced the silence (with a different ISAPnP soundcard, the
AD1815). Will debug later today.

That "cyclic noise" thing is odd but I expect that's simply a side effect of
the chip not initializing itself so that some connections are kept floating.

Rene.