* Re: kernel 2.4.x + via-based kt266 mobo = IDE cdroms probls (revisited)
@ 2003-02-07 22:53 Laurent Grawet
From: Laurent Grawet @ 2003-02-07 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"; format=flowed, Size: 2444 bytes --]

Hi Andre,

I have exactly the same problem/symptoms like several other users !
Here is a interesting report that has been made on Viaarena Linux forum by
Dam. This bring us useful information and better understanding of the
situation :

http://forums.viaarena.com/messageview.cfm?catid=28&threadid=28308&STARTPAGE=1

--------- SNIP

  Thursday, February 06, 2003 9:56 PM

Hi there.

One more guy with the same problem. But I've got a kind of solution, but it
is not a good one.

Using cdda2wav, you can use the -n option to tell cdda2wav the number of
sector to read at a time.
I'm able to rip a cd using -n 1 . I can go up to -n 15 then it start hdc:
lost interrupt ... Problem is that
performance is not great at -n 1.

I once contacted the cdrdao author, Andreas, and talk with him about this
prog. I ended editing cdrdao sources
to try to reduce the number of sector read at a time to 1 (same as for
cdda2wav). Problem disappeared but
performance were unacceptable.

Also there is the option to not write the rip to a file (for debugging
purpose), using -N. Using that
option, I no more experience problem, but of course, I don't rip anything.

So it seemed to me that the problem is related to writing to a disk while
ripping. So I tried cdda2wav with -N and
at the same time launched a cp -R /usr/src/linux /tmp. Everything happened
correctly, slowly but without lost interrupts.

I think this is more of a kernel bug then a bios bug (why would it work
under windows ?). Searching lkml gives many
results with people with this problem, but no solutions.

I think we should start bother people on the lkml.

---------- SNIP

 > I think we should start bother people on the lkml.
Well, this has just been done Dam   :-)

Exactly the same behaviour here...

Could Linux Guru's help us ?
We have this problem for too long time...

Thanks,

Laurent

** Please, CC me your answer to LKML **

P.S.
Sorry for my double post, but there was a problem in my message title...

--

@ 2003-02-09 19:06 ` Andre Costa
From: Andre Costa @ 2003-02-09 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux kernel ML

Ok, replying to my own msg just to post some updates:

it has been confirmed by me and others that downgrading AMI BIOS on our
specific mobo (MSI KT266Pro2) to v3.3 fixes the "lost interrupt" errors
with cd audio ripping. Latest BIOS is 3.7:

[http://www.msi.com.tw/program/support/bios/bos/spt_bos_detail.php?UID=28&NAME=MS-6380]

Any suggestion on how we could pressure AMI or MSI to fix this probl on
BIOS versions higher than 3.3? (or, maybe, to provide you guys some docs
explaining the changes so that Linux kernel can catch up, considering
that the probl doesn't happen on Win2k/XP?)

Best,

Andre

On Fri, 7 Feb 2003 17:00:01 -0200
Andre Costa <acosta@ar.microlink.com.br> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> owners of VIA KT266-based mobos with IDE cdroms are unable to rip
> audio tracks using both SCSI emulation and native IDE mode (kernel
> 2.4.x). Symptoms are "lost interrupts" such as:
>
> Jan 8 21:04:28 candy kernel: scsi : aborting command due to timeout :
> pid 13448, scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0 UNKNOWN(0xbe) 00 00 00 00 00
> 00 00 07 f8 00 00 Jan 8 21:04:28 candy kernel: hdc: lost interrupt
> Jan 8 21:05:28 candy kernel: scsi : aborting command due to timeout :
> pid 13458, scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0 UNKNOWN(0xbe) 00 00 00 00 7c
> 00 00 0d f8 00 00 Jan 8 21:05:28 candy kernel: hdc: lost interrupt
> Jan 8 21:06:30 candy kernel: scsi : aborting command due to timeout :
> pid 13493, scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0 UNKNOWN(0xbe) 00 00 00 00 fc
> 00 00 0d f8 00 00 Jan 8 21:06:30 candy kernel: hdc: lost interrupt
>
> This probl has been briefly discussed here a while ago:
>
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=103382933709162&w=2
>
> Since then, it has also been discussed more thoroughly on other places
> as well:
>
> Linuxhardware.org
> http://www.linuxhardware.org/article.pl?sid=02/12/22/1732217
>
> MSI forums
> http://www.msi.com.tw/program/e_service/forum/viewthread.php?threadid=7790&boardid=13
>
> VIA Arena Linux Forum
> http://forums.viaarena.com/messageview.cfm?catid=28&threadid=28308&STARTPAGE=1
>
> Some guy reported success after downgrading his BIOS to an earlier
> version (unfortunately we could not contact him again after this
> report). So, there is a chance that BIOS might be the culprit.
>
> HOWEVER, *every* machine that shows this probl with Linux is perfectly
> capable of ripping audio tracks while running Win2k/XP, so there's got
> to be a solution.
>
> So, my question is: are you guys aware of such probl? Any solution in
> the horizon? Any help we could offer (aside from coding)? Me and other
> guys experiencing this same probl have joined together, we even have
> an e-group dedicated to it. We're eager to help in finding a solution,
> but unfortunately we won't be able to help directly with code...
>
> TIA
>
> Andre
>
> --
> Andre Oliveira da Costa
> -

Andre Oliveira da Costa

* kernel 2.4.x + via-based kt266 mobo = IDE cdroms probls (revisited)
@ 2003-02-07 19:00 Andre Costa