From: Marc Zyngier <maz@kernel.org>
To: Oliver Upton <oupton@google.com>, Sasha Levin <sashal@kernel.org>
Cc: dbrazdil@google.com, hns@goldelico.com, linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [BUG]: KVM: arm64: Fix symbol dependency in __hyp_call_panic_nvhe
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2021 20:56:27 +0000	[thread overview]

Hi all,

On Mon, 25 Jan 2021 20:07:56 +0000,
Oliver Upton <oupton@google.com> wrote:

> > That means we have two options:
> > (a) define __hyp_panic_string in a different .c file in all pre-5.9 branches, or
> > (b) revert the backported patch.
> >
> > The patch was needed in 5.9 and should stay there. It wasn't needed in earlier
> > versions because the symbol was being kept alive by another user. It did "fix"
> > the inline asm semantics, but the problem was never triggered in pre-5.9.
> >
> > Sasha, with this and the GCC bug in mind, would you agree that (b) is the
> > better course of action?
>
> Sasha,
>
> Any chance we can get this patch reverted as David has suggested? It
> was backported to 5.4 LTS in commit 653ae33b030b ("KVM: arm64: Fix
> symbol dependency in __hyp_call_panic_nvhe") and is causing build
> issues with a 4.9.4 vintage of GCC.

Absolutely. This issue has been lingering for some time now, and needs
addressing.

I'm definitely in favour of reverting this patch, although there are
two possible alternatives:

- Cherry-pick 9fd339a45be5 ("arm64: Work around broken GCC 4.9
  handling of "S" constraint"), which works around this particular GCC
  bug

- Cherry-pick dca5244d2f5b ("compiler.h: Raise minimum version of GCC
  to 5.1 for arm64"), which forbids GCC 4.9 as it has been
  demonstrated to mis-compile the kernel (and this patch is targeting
  stable anyway)

Thanks,

	M.