* 2.4.22-pre7: are security issues solved?
@ 2003-07-21 20:40 Aschwin Marsman
From: Aschwin Marsman @ 2003-07-21 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi,

Red Hat has released a new kernel today, that fixes several security issues.
I currently use 2.4.22-pre7, are those security issues solved in this kernel
too? Below are the descriptions from the errata:

> CAN-2003-0461: /proc/tty/driver/serial reveals the exact character counts
> for serial links. This could be used by a local attacker to infer password
> lengths and inter-keystroke timings during password entry.

> CAN-2003-0462: Paul Starzetz discovered a file read race condition existing
> in the execve() system call, which could cause a local crash.

> CAN-2003-0464: A recent change in the RPC code set the reuse flag on
> newly-created sockets. Olaf Kirch noticed that his could allow normal
> users to bind to UDP ports used for services such as nfsd.

> CAN-2003-0476: The execve system call in Linux 2.4.x records the file
> descriptor of the executable process in the file table of the calling
> process, allowing local users to gain read access to restricted file
> descriptors.

> CAN-2003-0501: The /proc filesystem in Linux allows local users to obtain
> sensitive information by opening various entries in /proc/self before
> executing a setuid program. This causes the program to fail to change the
> ownership and permissions of already opened entries.

> CAN-2003-0550: The STP protocol is known to have no security, which could
> allow attackers to alter the bridge topology. STP is now turned off by
> default.

> CAN-2003-0551: STP input processing was lax in its length checking, which
> could lead to a denial of service.

> CAN-2003-0552: Jerry Kreuscher discovered that the Forwarding table could
> be spoofed by sending forged packets with bogus source addresses the same
> as the local host.

Have fun,

Aschwin Marsman

--
aYniK Software Solutions         all You need is Knowledge
P.O. box 134                     NL-7600 AC Almelo - the Netherlands

* Re: 2.4.22-pre7: are security issues solved?
@ 2003-07-23 12:56 John Bradford
From: John Bradford @ 2003-07-23 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: davem, herbert; +Cc: a.marsman, alan, linux-kernel

> > If I know your password is 7 characters I have a smaller
> > space of passwords to search to just brute-force it.
>
> It's much smaller if you didn't know that it was at most 7 characters
> long.  However, if you did know the upper bound, or you were just
> brute forcing all passwords starting from 1 character, then the
> difference is relatively minor.  This is because
>
> n + n^2 + n^3 + n^4 + n^5 + n^6
>
> is much smaller than n^7 where n is something like 62 for a reasonable
> password.
>
> So if your password was broken using this method, then it's probably
> too short anyway.

One time passwords are much more secure.

John.

* Re: 2.4.22-pre7: are security issues solved?
@ 2003-07-23 14:08 John Bradford
From: John Bradford @ 2003-07-23 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: john, root; +Cc: a.marsman, alan, davem, herbert, linux-kernel

> > > It's much smaller if you didn't know that it was at most 7 characters
> > > long.  However, if you did know the upper bound, or you were just
> > > brute forcing all passwords starting from 1 character, then the
> > > difference is relatively minor.  This is because
> <snip>
> > One time passwords are much more secure.
>
> Nope.
> Changing password to a password of similar complexity every 10 seconds
> doesn't make it much less likely to be guessed than a static password.

For the attack in question, it does, as long as no two consecutive
passwords have the same number of characters.

For example, if the list of OTPs is:

alpha
beta
epsilon

The user logs in using the first password, and somebody logs that it
has five characters.  The next valid password, (the only valid one),
has four.

John.