* Re: APM suspend still broken in -test9
@ 2003-10-27 18:24 David Brownell
From: David Brownell @ 2003-10-27 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ian.soboroff; +Cc: linux-kernel, Patrick Mochel

Those are the same symptoms I saw in test7, fixed by:

   http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=106606272103414&w=2

Patrick, were you going to submit your patch to resolve this?
I'm thinking this kind of problem would meet Linus's test10
integration criteria.

(That's not an APM problem, it's a generic PM problem that'd
show up with swsusp too.  And likely even some ACPI systems.)

- Dave

* Re: APM suspend still broken in -test9
@ 2003-10-27 19:33 ` Ian Soboroff
From: Ian Soboroff @ 2003-10-27 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Brownell; +Cc: linux-kernel, Patrick Mochel

Yes, that patch solves it for me, and applies cleanly to -test9.
Ian

@ 2003-10-27 20:20 ` Patrick Mochel
From: Patrick Mochel @ 2003-10-27 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Brownell; +Cc: ian.soboroff, linux-kernel

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003, David Brownell wrote:

> Those are the same symptoms I saw in test7, fixed by:
>
>    http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=106606272103414&w=2
>
> Patrick, were you going to submit your patch to resolve this?
> I'm thinking this kind of problem would meet Linus's test10
> integration criteria.

I should be merging early this week. Sorry about the delay, but it will
get in soon.

BTW, can you help with any of the uhci-hcd suspend/resume issues? I do not
know the code well enough to track it down..

	Pat

* Re: APM suspend still broken in -test9
@ 2003-10-27 20:48   ` David Brownell
From: David Brownell @ 2003-10-27 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick Mochel; +Cc: ian.soboroff, linux-kernel, Johannes Erdfelt

Patrick Mochel wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Oct 2003, David Brownell wrote:
>

>>Those are the same symptoms I saw in test7, fixed by:
>>
>>   http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=106606272103414&w=2
>>
>>Patrick, were you going to submit your patch to resolve this?
>>I'm thinking this kind of problem would meet Linus's test10
>>integration criteria.
>

> I should be merging early this week. Sorry about the delay, but it will
> get in soon.

Good -- I just wanted to make sure it didn't get lost, more
folk are noticing it lately.

> BTW, can you help with any of the uhci-hcd suspend/resume issues? I do not
> know the code well enough to track it down..

I'm trying to avoid that; sorry!  Some of them could be related to UHCI
patches that are waiting for feedback/approval from Johannes.

- Dave

* Re: APM suspend still broken in -test9
@ 2003-10-27 20:53     ` Johannes Erdfelt
From: Johannes Erdfelt @ 2003-10-27 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Brownell; +Cc: Patrick Mochel, ian.soboroff, linux-kernel

On Mon, Oct 27, 2003, David Brownell <david-b@pacbell.net> wrote:
> Patrick Mochel wrote:
> > On Mon, 27 Oct 2003, David Brownell wrote:
> >
> >>Those are the same symptoms I saw in test7, fixed by:
> >>
> >>   http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=106606272103414&w=2
> >>
> >>Patrick, were you going to submit your patch to resolve this?
> >>I'm thinking this kind of problem would meet Linus's test10
> >>integration criteria.
> >
> > I should be merging early this week. Sorry about the delay, but it will
> > get in soon.
>
> Good -- I just wanted to make sure it didn't get lost, more
> folk are noticing it lately.
>
> > BTW, can you help with any of the uhci-hcd suspend/resume issues? I do not
> > know the code well enough to track it down..
>
> I'm trying to avoid that; sorry!  Some of them could be related to UHCI
> patches that are waiting for feedback/approval from Johannes.

Which patches do you suspect are related? It's hard for me to test
anything suspend/resume related with UHCI since I don't have any systems
with a UHCI controller that would be affected.

However, I can (well, I should have already...) eyeball the patches
atleast.

JE

* Re: APM suspend still broken in -test9
@ 2003-10-27 21:19       ` David Brownell
From: David Brownell @ 2003-10-27 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johannes Erdfelt; +Cc: Patrick Mochel, ian.soboroff, linux-kernel

>>>BTW, can you help with any of the uhci-hcd suspend/resume issues? I do not
>>>know the code well enough to track it down..
>>
>>I'm trying to avoid that; sorry!  Some of them could be related to UHCI
>>patches that are waiting for feedback/approval from Johannes.
>

> Which patches do you suspect are related? It's hard for me to test
> anything suspend/resume related with UHCI since I don't have any systems
> with a UHCI controller that would be affected.

Clearly not the "don't modify toggles in control queues" patch!

But I remember some patches related to quiescing endpoints,
unlinking, shutdown, and so on.

- Dave

@ 2003-10-29 13:43   ` Ian Soboroff
From: Ian Soboroff @ 2003-10-29 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Brownell; +Cc: linux-kernel, Patrick Mochel

Scratch that.  I attempted to wake up the laptop yesterday after it
had been sleeping for several hours, and it was locked hard.  My
success report was based on just a quick sleep of a minute or so.

The last -test kernel that works properly for APM suspend and resume
for me is -test7.

Ian

@ 2003-10-27 23:56   ` bill davidsen
From: bill davidsen @ 2003-10-27 23:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

In article <9cfekwy8y7h.fsf@rogue.ncsl.nist.gov>,
Ian Soboroff  <ian.soboroff@nist.gov> wrote:

| I reported this also on -test8:
| http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=106694328730337&w=2
|
| and it was confirmed by two other people in that thread.  I just
| tested it again with -test9.  Putting my laptop to sleep while X is
| running, then resuming, locks the machine hard.  Suspend works fine
| without X (plain old console mode).

What happens if you change to a text console and suspecnd? Does it
restart? And if so can you then change back to X?
--
bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
  CTO, TMR Associates, Inc

* APM suspend still broken in -test9
@ 2003-10-27 16:03 ` Ian Soboroff
From: Ian Soboroff @ 2003-10-27 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

I reported this also on -test8:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=106694328730337&w=2

and it was confirmed by two other people in that thread.  I just
tested it again with -test9.  Putting my laptop to sleep while X is
running, then resuming, locks the machine hard.  Suspend works fine
without X (plain old console mode).

The three machines reported so far:

 - Fujitsu P-2120 (me)
 - Gericom        ( Oliver Bohlen <oliver.bohlen () t-online ! de> )
 - Thinkpad R40   ( Ruben Puettmann <ruben () puettmann ! net> )

Both Ruben and I have agp configured; he has a Radeon while I have a
r128 (Rage Mobility M).  I don't know more about Oliver's config.

Can anyone else verify this?  Everything worked fine in -test7; things
broke in -test8 and are still broken in -test9.  Nothing appears in
the logs (which is to be expected if we crash while resuming... where
would it get logged?).

Ian