From: Josh Boyer <jwboyer@gmail.com>
To: Alex Deucher <alexdeucher@gmail.com>
Cc: Dave Airlie <airlied@linux.ie>,
	Alex Deucher <alexander.deucher@amd.com>,
	Jerome Glisse <jglisse@redhat.com>,
	torvalds@linux-foundation.org, linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org,
Subject: Re: [git pull] drm merge for 3.9-rc1
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2013 13:59:25 -0500	[thread overview]

On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 10:15 AM, Josh Boyer <jwboyer@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 10:09 AM, Alex Deucher <alexdeucher@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Understatement ;).

>>> Yeah, that's the biggest problem I have, not knowing which functions are
>>> actually being executed for this card.  It looks like a combination of
>>> stuff in evergreen.c and ni.c, but I have no idea.
>>>
>>> Patches would be great.  If nothing else, I'm really good at building
>>> kernels and rebooting by now.
>>
>> Two possible fixes attached.  The first attempts a full reset of all
>> blocks if the MC (memory controller) is hung.  That may work better
>> than just resetting the MC.  The second just disables MC reset.  I'm
>> not sure we can reliably tell if it's busy due to display requests
>> hitting the MC periodically which would lead to needlessly resetting
>> it possibly leading to failures like you are seeing.
>
> OK.  I'll test them individually.  It will probably take a bit because
> I'll want to do numerous reboots if things seem "fixed" with one or the
> other.
>
> I'll let you know how things go.

I applied each individually on top of Linus' tree as of this morning
(commit 2a7d2b96d5) built, installed, and tested.

0001-drm-radeon-XXX-try-a-full-reset-if-the-MC-is-busy.patch failed in
two reboots.

0001-drm-radeon-XXX-skip-MC-reset-as-it-s-probably-not-hu.patch has gone
21 reboots without a hang/rainbow static.  You'll understand if I'm
hesitant to declare success, but resetting the MC does indeed appear to
be the issue.  I'll keep rebooting for a while to make sure.

josh