* How to create a config that doesn't set CONFIG_PROC_FS
@ 2013-11-28 10:53 Peng Tao
From: Peng Tao @ 2013-11-28 10:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Even if I use `make allnoconfig`, CONFIG_PROC_FS is still set. So I'm
wondering how to create a config without CONFIG_PROC_FS for build
testing?

Thanks,
Tao

* Re: How to create a config that doesn't set CONFIG_PROC_FS
@ 2013-11-28 13:20 ` Geert Uytterhoeven
From: Geert Uytterhoeven @ 2013-11-28 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Nov 28, 2013 at 11:53 AM, Peng Tao <lkml.bergwolf@gmail.com> wrote:
> Even if I use `make allnoconfig`, CONFIG_PROC_FS is still set. So I'm
> wondering how to create a config without CONFIG_PROC_FS for build
> testing?

It can be disabled only if CONFIG_EXPERT=y.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                        Geert

                                -- Linus Torvalds

* Re: How to create a config that doesn't set CONFIG_PROC_FS
@ 2013-11-28 15:02   ` Peng Tao
From: Peng Tao @ 2013-11-28 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Nov 28, 2013 at 9:20 PM, Geert Uytterhoeven
<geert@linux-m68k.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 28, 2013 at 11:53 AM, Peng Tao <lkml.bergwolf@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Even if I use `make allnoconfig`, CONFIG_PROC_FS is still set. So I'm
>> wondering how to create a config without CONFIG_PROC_FS for build
>> testing?
>
> It can be disabled only if CONFIG_EXPERT=y.
Cool. Thank you very much!

Cheers,
Tao

@ 2013-11-28 17:17     ` Richard Weinberger
From: Richard Weinberger @ 2013-11-28 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Nov 28, 2013 at 4:02 PM, Peng Tao <lkml.bergwolf@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 28, 2013 at 9:20 PM, Geert Uytterhoeven
> <geert@linux-m68k.org> wrote:
>> On Thu, Nov 28, 2013 at 11:53 AM, Peng Tao <lkml.bergwolf@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Even if I use `make allnoconfig`, CONFIG_PROC_FS is still set. So I'm
>>> wondering how to create a config without CONFIG_PROC_FS for build
>>> testing?
>>
>> It can be disabled only if CONFIG_EXPERT=y.
> Cool. Thank you very much!

Out of curiosity, for which use case do you need that?
Is is possible to run a sane userspace without procfs?

//richard

* Re: How to create a config that doesn't set CONFIG_PROC_FS
@ 2013-11-28 17:37       ` Peng Tao
From: Peng Tao @ 2013-11-28 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Nov 29, 2013 at 1:17 AM, Richard Weinberger
<richard.weinberger@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 28, 2013 at 4:02 PM, Peng Tao <lkml.bergwolf@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Nov 28, 2013 at 9:20 PM, Geert Uytterhoeven
>> <geert@linux-m68k.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> It can be disabled only if CONFIG_EXPERT=y.
>> Cool. Thank you very much!
>
> Out of curiosity, for which use case do you need that?
> Is is possible to run a sane userspace without procfs?

To be frank, I don't know. I just got build failure reports to fix up
when CONFIG_PROC_FS is off...

Thanks,
Tao