* Any limitations on bigmem usage?
@ 2001-06-12  0:18 Matt Nelson
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Matt Nelson @ 2001-06-12  0:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

I am about to embark on a data processing software project that will require a
LOT of memory (about, ohhh, 6GB or so), and I was wondering if there are any
limitations to how one can use very large chunks of memory under Linux.
Specifically, is there anything to prevent me from malloc()ing 6GB of memory,
then accessing that memory as I would any other buffer?  FYI, the application
will be buffering a stream of data, then performing a variety of calculations on
large blocks of data at a time, before writing it out to a socket.

I've been eyeing an 8-way Intel box with gobs of memory, but if there are subtle
issues with using that much memory, I need to know now.

I haven't seen this specifcally addressed, so I figured I should ask you folk.
Any insights/comments/reccomendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt

--
Matthew Nelson
Dynamics Technology, Inc.

* RE: Any limitations on bigmem usage?
@ 2001-06-12 18:34 Holzrichter, Bruce
From: Holzrichter, Bruce @ 2001-06-12 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Rik van Riel', Rob Landley; +Cc: Alan Cox, Matt Nelson, linux-kernel

On Tue, 12 Jun 2001, Rob Landley wrote:

> Brilliant.  You need what, a 6x larger cache just to break even with
> the amount of time you're running in-cache?

This may be the wrong platform for this question, but after reading Rob
Landley's note on performance on Itanium and architecture concerns, I am
interested in Kernel hackers who have had to write code for Itanium's
comments on the same, if you are not bound by NDA's.  Correct me if I am
wrong, but I thought I saw the announcement that Itanium is shipping.  Have
you tested Itanium performance?  We have an preproduction unit with quad
Itanium's.  I have not had time to benchmark against other units, I am
interested in performance items.  Feel free to drop me a line off list if
you can.

B.