* Can't X be elemenated?
@ 2003-09-29 14:44 kartikey bhatt
                   ` (7 more replies)
From: kartikey bhatt @ 2003-09-29 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: torvalds; +Cc: linux-kernel

Hi Linus.

I read your reply to a person worried about the future of linux. It was a
satisfactory reply; I hope to get a satisfactory reply for this one also.

Can't X be elemenated?

I mean to say kernel level support for graphics device drivers and special
routines for accessing it directly; rest will be done by user space widget
libraries (or say a kernel space light widget library which can be
customized
by user space libraries).

Why am I asking this?

1st. X is bloat. Though it's good for server environments. For desktop pcs
it's too heavy. On my machine (PIII500 with 128MB RAM) I have to choose from
either to run X or compile 2.6.0-test6.

2nd. It's process based client/server architecture is a bottleneck. It's not
as interactive as is supposed to be.

3rd. Most important. I can't impress or convince my window(crash)(TM) user
friends, relatives (who saw X running on my pc) to use Linux.

4th. I want to see desktop being ruled by Linux.

"Present" is in our hands; we are ruling servers.
You said "Linux, world domination fast".
If my wish is fulfilled, I am sure, one day, You (Mr. Linus) and I will
be saying "Linux, world domination completed".

		-Kartikey Mahendra Bhatt.

(Sorry for raising this question during feature freeze. But the
consequences in last few days have forced me to ask this question.)

* Re: Can't X be elemenated?
@ 2003-09-29 19:45 kartikey bhatt
From: kartikey bhatt @ 2003-09-29 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hahn; +Cc: linux-kernel

>From: Mark Hahn <hahn@physics.mcmaster.ca>
>To: kartikey bhatt <kartik_me@hotmail.com>
>Subject: Re: Can't X be elemenated?
>Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 12:53:21 -0400 (EDT)
>
> > Can't X be elemenated?
>
>of course.  but this has nothing to do with linux-kernel development.
>this has been done many times already.

point me to work that has been done.

>prove it.
i'll send you my test result data.

Answer simple questions. Win a free honeymoon.
http://server1.msn.co.in/sp03/shaadi/index.asp Sail into the sunset!

* Re: Can't X be elemenated?
@ 2003-09-30  8:09 kartikey bhatt
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: kartikey bhatt @ 2003-09-30  8:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: diegocg; +Cc: linux-kernel

your graphics card (hw) is resource that needs to be managed by OS.
leaving it to 3rd party developers is an *adhoc* solution, *a stark immoral
choice*.
my friend gotta new AMD athlon with nvidia gforce 32mb shared memory,
but he is on the mercy of X people to get full support for it.
for now he has to do with generic i810 driver?
any answer for that.
my question is can't X be eleminated by providing support for
graphics drivers and other routines at kernel  level?

>From: Diego Calleja García <diegocg@teleline.es>
>To: "kartikey bhatt" <kartik_me@hotmail.com>
>CC: linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
>Subject: Re: Can't X be elemenated?
>Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 23:11:01 +0200
>
>El Mon, 29 Sep 2003 20:14:56 +0530 "kartikey bhatt" <kartik_me@hotmail.com>
>escribió:
>
> > 1st. X is bloat. Though it's good for server environments. For desktop
>pcs
> > it's too heavy. On my machine (PIII500 with 128MB RAM) I have to choose
>from
> > either to run X or compile 2.6.0-test6.
> >
> > 2nd. It's process based client/server architecture is a bottleneck. It's
>not
> > as interactive as is supposed to be.
>
>You might want to discuss that with X people. It's been demonstrated that
>the
>client/server model is noy a bottleneck...in fact there're benchmarks which
>show
>X being almost as fast as the windows GDI... (using the shared memory
>extension)
>

> > 3rd. Most important. I can't impress or convince my window(crash)(TM)
>user
> > friends, relatives (who saw X running on my pc) to use Linux.
>
>I can impress them quite well running the X server in a different machine
>:)
>

> > 4th. I want to see desktop being ruled by Linux.
>
>It's already ruling my desktop 8)
>
>But you might want to talk with X developers. Linus it's just the kernel
>maintainer.
>

>-
>Please read the FAQ at  http://www.tux.org/lkml/

* Re: Can't X be elemenated?
@ 2003-09-30 17:50 kartikey bhatt
From: kartikey bhatt @ 2003-09-30 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: diegocg; +Cc: linux-kernel

what about the rest?

>From: Diego Calleja García <diegocg@teleline.es>
>To: "kartikey bhatt" <kartik_me@hotmail.com>
>Subject: Re: Can't X be elemenated?
>Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 18:47:19 +0200
>
>El Tue, 30 Sep 2003 13:39:22 +0530 "kartikey bhatt" <kartik_me@hotmail.com>
>escribió:
>
> > your graphics card (hw) is resource that needs to be managed by OS.
>
>It is managed by the OS (the voodoo DRI driver, which lives in the kernel)

Reconnect with old pals. Relive past joys. http://www.batchmates.com/msn.asp
All it takes is a click!

* Re: Can't X be elemenated?
@ 2003-10-01  4:32 kartikey bhatt
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: kartikey bhatt @ 2003-10-01  4:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: paul; +Cc: linux-kernel

hey everyone who have joined this thread, my fundamental question have got
out of scope. I mean to say

1. Kernel level support for graphics device drivers.
2. On top of that, one can develop complete lightweight GUI.
3. Maybe kernel can provide support for event handling.

and I still stick to my opinion that graphics card is a computer resource
that needs to be managed by OS rather than 3rd party developers.
Just feeding in patches to provide support for AGP gart and DRI
is an adhoc solution, a stark immoral choice.
you don't know my frustration when i got PC and wasn't able to
run X until i810 agp gart support was available at kernel level.

And if you feel that I am a guy heavily dependent on X that's not true.
I just mean to say if anything is that kernel level support for graphics
device drivers.
And X will be automatically eliminated.

and if you are feeling very unhappy about my statement X is bloat,
I really apologize for that.

Get Married!  http://www.bharatmatrimony.com/cgi-bin/bmclicks1.cgi?74 Search
from 7 lakh Brides & Grooms.

[parent not found: <BGWr.3eL.7@gated-at.bofh.it>]