* Re: Bugzilla bug tracking database for 2.5 now available.
@ 2002-11-15 16:23 Khoa Huynh
From: Khoa Huynh @ 2002-11-15 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Larry McVoy; +Cc: David S. Miller, linux-kernel, linux-kernel-owner, mbligh

>This may or may not help but it seems relevant.  BK has uniq names for
>each changeset, we're fixing BK/Web so you can use the uniq names instead
>of the revs (which change out from under you).
>
>So it should be possible to link the bug report with a changeset in Linus'
>tree if you want.
>
>It's worth pointing out that if you can see the bug in a particular
version
>of Linus' tree then *everyone* can see it by getting a copy of the tree
>as of that cset.  BK guarentees that if you clone -r<rev> then you'll see
>exactly what anyone else saw as of that cset.

Yes, this is great!  We can create a separate field in the bug reports to
contain this unique names, so we can reference the cset directly from
the bug reports.  This allows us to link bug reports to csets -- great!

What format will these unique names be in?  If we put them in the bug
reports,
can we click on them (as URLs) and get to the csets directly?
Thanks.

Khoa

* Re: Bugzilla bug tracking database for 2.5 now available.
@ 2002-11-18 22:47 Khoa Huynh
From: Khoa Huynh @ 2002-11-18 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Khoa Huynh
  Cc: ak, David S. Miller, Jeff Garzik, linux-kernel,
	linux-kernel-owner, Martin J. Bligh

Jeff Garzik wrote:
>> >The bugs assigned to me are all in the 'open' state, with no
>> >obvious way to change them to 'assigned'.
>>

>> There's a radio button just below the additional comments box,
>> "Accept bug (change status to ASSIGNED)". Then hit Commit.
>

>That would be the obvious way, but that option is not presented to me :)
>Look at http://gtf.org/garzik/misc/Screenshot.png  ;-)

We found out the root cause of this problem.  There are different levels
of privilege in bugzilla, and the bug owners (like Jeff Garzik) have
the privilege to move bugs among different states (like RESOLVED or
CLOSED), but *not* ASSIGNED state.  The original intent of Bugzilla
is that bug owners only work on bugs assigned to them, and the
screening (assigning) bugs is the responsibility of screeners.  I think
this does not apply to kernel bugzilla very well, so we will give bug
owners enough "power" to assign bugs to themselves as well.  Jon has
already given Jeff this power; more will come later (this is a manual
process, sigh :-))

Khoa

* Re: Bugzilla bug tracking database for 2.5 now available.
@ 2002-11-18 17:19 Khoa Huynh
From: Khoa Huynh @ 2002-11-18 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Larry McVoy
  Cc: David S. Miller, linux-kernel, linux-kernel-owner, Larry McVoy

http://linux.bkbits.net:8080/linux-2.5/cset@dSD4okOiGmLGDcqOTpQPFQ==

>and that will always work and never get you different data.

Thanks.  Back when we were setting up the OSDL kernel bugzilla, I thought
about having a direct, unique URL link between the bugzilla bug reports
and csets in BK, but could not find anything -- like you said, the revs
changes as you move the changesets from one repository to another.  So
I am very happy that you are going to provide a unique URL link for each
cset.  Please let me know when you get this done and we will have
a separate field (called "Changeset Link") in kernel bugzilla to hold this.

We expect that bug owners, after putting their patches into BK, will obtain
the cset "name", and enter it into the "Changeset Link" field in the bug
report.  After hitting the "Commit" button, the kernel bugzilla will
translate the cset "name" into a URL link like you indicated above.

This would allow people to view bugs, and if there are already fixes in
BK for those bugs, they can get directly to the fixes (changesets).

Khoa

* Re: Bugzilla bug tracking database for 2.5 now available.
@ 2002-11-18 16:11 Khoa Huynh
From: Khoa Huynh @ 2002-11-18 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo
  Cc: Jeff Garzik, linux-kernel, linux-kernel-owner, Martin J. Bligh

Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo wrote:
>> >One thing we've done before in other bug-tracking systems was to create
>> >a "STALE" state (or something similar) for this type of bug. So it
>> >wouldn't get closed (I have seen this done as a closing resolution, but
>> >I think that's a bad idea), but it wouldn't be in the default searches
>> >either ... you could just select it if you wanted it ... does that
sound
>> >sane? (obviously we don't need this yet, but might be a good plan
>> >longer-term).
>
>> Personally...  if they really are bugs, I would rather keep them open,
>> even in the absence of a maintainer...   maybe that's not scalable, but
>> I would rather not auto-expire things which really are bugs.  The
>> maintainer (or "someone who cares") may not appear until the next stable

>> series, for example.  Vendors do that alot.
>
>Jeff, ok, so we could do as vendors: mark the ticket as LATER, or whatever
>that doesnt make clearly stale tickets that nobody is looking appear on
>the default queries.
>
>If somebody is _so_ interested in a particular feature he/she can look for
>tickets marked LATER, add comments and state that he/she is working on it,
>provide more info, etc.

Currently the kernel bugzilla has a state called DEFERRED (with resolution
WILL_FIX_LATER) for this type of inactive bugs.  Anyone who is interested
in these bugs can set the query to look at them; otherwise, they are not
on the active bug list.  They are not closed either -- they are just
"deferred".

* Re: Bugzilla bug tracking database for 2.5 now available.
@ 2002-11-16  0:49 Khoa Huynh
From: Khoa Huynh @ 2002-11-16  0:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Garzik
  Cc: ak, David S. Miller, linux-kernel, linux-kernel-owner, Martin J. Bligh

Jeff Garzik wrote:
>> >The bugs assigned to me are all in the 'open' state, with no
>> >obvious way to change them to 'assigned'.
>>

>> There's a radio button just below the additional comments box,
>> "Accept bug (change status to ASSIGNED)". Then hit Commit.
>

>That would be the obvious way, but that option is not presented to me :)
>Look at http://gtf.org/garzik/misc/Screenshot.png  ;-)

Hmm....Interesting.  I looked at your bugs and I see the radio buttons
to accept the bugs and move them to the ASSIGNED state.  Maybe there is
something wrong with your Bugzilla profile.  I will ask Jon to look
into this.  Thanks for letting us know.

* Re: Bugzilla bug tracking database for 2.5 now available.
@ 2002-11-16  0:41 Khoa Huynh
From: Khoa Huynh @ 2002-11-16  0:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin J. Bligh
  Cc: Alan Cox, David S. Miller, Jeff Garzik, kniht,
	Linux Kernel Mailing List, linux-kernel-owner, mailing-lists

Martin Bligh wrote:
>> By the way, have you looked at Red Hat Bugzilla?  They have
>> several hundreds of components in a single scroll-down list
>> (they define a component as a package).  Of course, the list is
>> alphabetical, so it's not too bad to use it.
>>
>> So I think 60+ is definitely a manageable number.
>
>Disagree. That's why we didn't go for a flat list in the first place.

Hmm...If thousands of Red Hat and SuSE users worldwide can deal with a
scroll-down list with hundreds of components, I wonder why kernel
developers can't?

60+ items on an alphabetical, scroll-down list is very easy to handle.
Go to Red Hat or SuSE Bugzilla and try it and you'll see it's not bad
at all (and they have hundreds of items!).

Also, it seems that no one else is interested in this particular
stuff anyway, so let's talk.  I will call you on Monday.

Khoa.

* Re: Bugzilla bug tracking database for 2.5 now available.
@ 2002-11-15 23:07 Khoa Huynh
From: Khoa Huynh @ 2002-11-15 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin J. Bligh
  Cc: Alan Cox, David S. Miller, Jeff Garzik, kniht,

Martin Bligh wrote:
>> If we have to use a 2-level component list, then I'd prefer we
>> do the following:
>>
>> Category = 2.5-linus, 2.5-ac, 2.5-mm, etc.
>> Component = something like
>>       MM-Page allocator
>>       MM-Slab allocator
>>       MM-NUMA
>>       MM-MTTR
>>       MM-Others
>>       FileSys-devfs
>>       FileSys-ext2
>>       FileSys-ext3
>>       and so on...
>
>No. That ends up with 10 billion items all in one drop down list,
>which is a pain in the butt to use.

Well, it's not 10 billion items, but closer to....60 :-)  And
the current component list is pretty complete, right?  We don't
want to add anything that is not included in the official trees.

By the way, have you looked at Red Hat Bugzilla?  They have
several hundreds of components in a single scroll-down list
(they define a component as a package).  Of course, the list is
alphabetical, so it's not too bad to use it.

So I think 60+ is definitely a manageable number.

>> The above approach does not require any coding changes in Bugzilla
>> and is therefore preferrable.
>
>The current fix doesn't require coding changes either, and was trivial
>to implement. A long term solution should be done properly, by the
>addition of a tree field.

The approach above does not need any long-term solution.  We should
try to avoid adding too much code above the base Mozilla code base
since it would be tough to upgrade the kernel bugzilla to a later
version of Mozilla code and it would introduce bugs which we don't
want.

Khoa

* Re: Bugzilla bug tracking database for 2.5 now available.
@ 2002-11-15 22:34 Khoa Huynh
From: Khoa Huynh @ 2002-11-15 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David S. Miller; +Cc: ak, linux-kernel, linux-kernel-owner, mbligh

David Miller wrote:

> mozilla handles it this way: the bug starts as unconfirmed. they have a
>   volunteer group of pre screeners. Only when one of these people sets
>   it to valid or similar then the owners of the module get mail.
>
>This sounds like a good idea.

Currently in the kernel bugzilla, after a bug is filed, it is initially
in the OPEN state -- this is similar to the Unconfirmed state mentioned
above.  The screeners (my team and others who volunteer) can get rid of
many invalid bugs and dups.  Only valid bugs then go to the ASSIGNED state
with correct owners.  Of course, we do not expect to get rid 100% of all
the invalids and dups, but at least that should reduce the work of
the owners who should only work with bugs in the ASSIGNED state.

Also, the bug owner can close MULTIPLE bugs at the same time
on Bugzilla.  A bug owner can query all of his bugs which will
then be displayed in a list, click the option "Change several bugs
at once" at the bottom of the list, select the bugs that he wants
to close, and then hit Commit button.  It's pretty simple.  Besides
closing the bugs, the owner can make similar changes to several bugs
at the same time using the same mechanism.

Regards,
Khoa
Khoa Huynh, Ph.D.
IBM Linux Technology Center
(512) 838-4903; T/L 678-4903; khoa@us.ibm.com

[parent not found: <396026666.1037298946@[10.10.2.3].suse.lists.linux.kernel>]
* Re: Bugzilla bug tracking database for 2.5 now available.
@ 2002-11-15 21:25 Khoa Huynh
From: Khoa Huynh @ 2002-11-15 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin J. Bligh
  Cc: Alan Cox, David S. Miller, Jeff Garzik, kniht,

Martin wrote:
>I'm not sure we really want this to be 3-level as that'd involve
>replicating all the categories underneath. The OpSys field type
>suggestion as an independant field would be nice, but the Bugzilla
>code will need some tweaking to support possibly different default
>owners dependant on that field.
>
>For now, Jon has created us an "Alternate trees" category, with "ac"
>and "mm" components, with appropriate text in the template to encourage
>people to file bugs that happen (only) on those trees under the
>"tree-specific" categories, and we can move bugs out from there if
>need be. Hopefully that will make people happier for now, there may
>be a cleaner solution long-term, but that needs more thought and more
>work.

I think the problem with this scheme is that all of the components
in the -ac or -mm trees are slumped into a single component.

If we have to use a 2-level component list, then I'd prefer we
do the following:

Category = 2.5-linus, 2.5-ac, 2.5-mm, etc.
Component = something like
      MM-Page allocator
      MM-Slab allocator
      MM-NUMA
      MM-MTTR
      MM-Others
      FileSys-devfs
      FileSys-ext2
      FileSys-ext3
      and so on...

In other words, we just collapse the original category/component
list into a single level, and leave the top level to indicate which
trees.

Of course, only components belonging to a selected tree is displayed.
This would allow each tree to have its own set of components, which
can have different owners.

I have talked to Jon Tollefson and Jon agreed that this approach
is better.

We need to do it ASAP since the number of bugs (50+ currently) is
relatively small.  We do NOT want to wait until later to make
any structural changes to the component list because that would
be a nightmare to reclassify hundreds of bugs.

Another option would be to use the "group" concept in Bugzilla to
provide the 3-level component list structure that I described
previously, but this would require some coding changes.

@ 2002-11-15 17:21 Khoa Huynh
From: Khoa Huynh @ 2002-11-15 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kniht
	linux-kernel-owner, mailing-lists, Martin J. Bligh

Jon Tollefson wrote:
>> Right - that makes sense ... I'll let Jon figure out the best way
>> to acheive this inside bugzilla - Eric's suggestion of version would
>> be nicer, but require some significant mods to bugzilla, I think.
>> Failing that, your suggestion of a new product-type thing would be
>> pretty easy to implement.
>>
>> M.
>>

>What if we create a top level category called Patches(or something) and
>have a components under that for each tree, patch set.  So anything
>thats not from Linus' tree could be put into one of these components.
>The natural owner for each of these components would be the maintainer
>of the named tree/patch.  Perhaps that is what you are suggesting above
>and I have misread it?

The problem we have here is that all "versions" share the same set of
components -- and therefore, the same set of component owners.  So if
we just create another version, say "2.5-ac", then we would not be able
to assign Alan Cox to the components belonging to this version because
there is only one set of components shared by all versions.

A way to get around this is to create 3-level component list (as opposed
to 2-level currently: category and components).  This 3-level component
list would go like this:

Product --> Category --> Component

whereas

Product = 2.5-linus, 2.5-ac, etc.
Category = same as currently
Component = same as currently

What this does is that each product (2.5-linus, 2.5-ac, etc) would have
its *own* set of categories and components.  This way we could assign all
categories and components under product 2.5-ac to Alan, and all categories
and components under 2.5-linus to other maintainers.

We could then delete "Version" from the bug reports as it no longer means
anything much.

Or we could use the name "version" for "product" in the scheme I described
above.

Khoa

[parent not found: <fa.cg3ae9v.ji8118@ifi.uio.no>]
* Re: Bugzilla bug tracking database for 2.5 now available.
@ 2002-11-15  7:22 Khoa Huynh
From: Khoa Huynh @ 2002-11-15  7:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Garzik; +Cc: linux-kernel, linux-kernel-owner, Pete Zaitcev

Jeff Garzik wrote:

>> I'm more interested in contacting the admin to be a component
>> owner for sparc, for instance. Someone is going to have a significant
>> admin load, because Bugzilla is not going to be self-running.
>> Who is that person?
>
>Check out Martin's original announcement, as well as his recent one.
>I'm pretty pleased:  they have staff that will help triage bugs and keep
>the garbage level low.  Hopefully leaving the kernel hackers to do
>nothing more than fix bugs :)

Since people asked, I'd like to introduce myself as part of the
"staff" that has volunteered some free time devoting to maintaining
this Bugzilla; i.e., keeping the database well-groomed.  My team
actually consists of folks in different IBM locations and time zones:
Austin, Texas; Poughkeepsie, New York; Beaverton, Oregon; Bangalore,
India, so hopefully, we can keep an "eye" on the database around the
clock.  For the past two years, my team has been working Linux
bugs and contributed bug fixes in support of our internal teams,
and now, we have volunteered to help maintain this kernel bug
database in our free time.  However, we expect that the bug
volume logged will be high, so the more people in the community
volunteer to help us maintain the database, the better.

Please let us know if you like to volunteer and the Bugzilla
administrator will give you enough "power" to do the job
(e.g., assigning bugs, closing bugs, screening bugs for
duplicates, invalid bugs, etc.).

Also if you have already used this kernel Bugzilla database,
you might have noticed that many components are currently
owned by Martin or myself.  As Martin pointed out in his
announcement, this is not because we are "egomaniacs", but
rather because the rightful owners (or those who know enough
about these components and want to volunteer to work bugs)
have not been registered yet.  Martin and I will try our best
to turn over these components to their rightful "owners"
as soon as we can.  We are still learning the "ropes" on
how to do this effectively, so it will take some time
(not too long we hope).  Thanks.

Khoa Huynh

* Re: Bugzilla bug tracking database for 2.5 now available
@ 2002-11-15  6:33 Michael D. Crawford
From: Michael D. Crawford @ 2002-11-15  6:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

This is much of what I hoped to do with the Linux Quality Database:

http://linuxquality.sunsite.dk/

alas, the dot-com crash happened, and I've been struggling so hard to keep my
little business afloat that I never had enough time to devote to it.  It's good
to see that someone has set up a bug tracking system that will be a little more
accessible to the public than a high-traffic mailing list.

I have some suggestions about how you could improve upon bugzilla to make the
database more useful for kernel developers.  I mention them on the page above
and in my comment in the slashdot discussion about the new bugbase:

http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=45108&cid=4675035

I didn't consider using bugzilla at first because it didn't have the
capabilities of storing configuration info the way I wanted.  No bugbase I have
ever used has done that, although I would consider it to be a very basic
feature for a bug database for kernel bug tracking.  I'd meant to write a
database app from scratch to do that, which was really more than I could
handle.  More recently I'd been contemplating modifying bugzilla to do what I
want, but these last few months have been really hectic.

Some have pointed out their desire for a vendor-neutral location for the bug
database.  When I asked around about who could host it, some commercial
companies offerred to, but I went with http://sunsite.dk/ in large part because
they were not part of any company.

The one thing I _have_ been able to do is write some articles on kernel quality
in particular and software quality in general.  You'll find them here:

http://linuxquality.sunsite.dk/articles/

The OSDL has been kind enough to mirror the kernel testing articles as well as
translate them into Japanese.  I encourage others to mirror or translate my
articles - they are all published under the GNU Free Documentation License.

Regards,

Michael D. Crawford
http://www.goingware.com/
crawford@goingware.com

* Re: Bugzilla bug tracking database for 2.5 now available.
@ 2002-11-14 22:44 Nicolas Mailhot
From: Nicolas Mailhot @ 2002-11-14 22:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

>On Thu, 2002-11-14 at 16:42, Paul Larson wrote:
>
>> That being said, I guess this should have been the first question:
>> Should bugs reported to bugme still be posted here (or elsewhere when
>> appropriate)?  I would assume so, at least for a while.
>
>Yes!
>
>The bugzilla database is a great idea but it should remain a database
>i.e. a list.  Discussion and the initial reporting of bugs should remain
>on the relevant lists _please_.

Please do not force users to report X times the same bug in different places.

This will only lead to lost information since people won't drag the whole
problem history each time. OTOH at least the initial stage of bug submissions
should be cc'd to the relevant lists, so that interested people can get on the
problems. This is what apache does (with big fat warnings to not reply to the
mail but fire bugzilla instead) and it seems to work well.

Nicolas Mailhot <Nicolas.Mailhot@laPoste.net>

[-- Attachment #2: Ceci est une partie de message numériquement signée --]

* Bugzilla bug tracking database for 2.5 now available.
@ 2002-11-14  2:33 Martin J. Bligh
                   ` (5 more replies)
From: Martin J. Bligh @ 2002-11-14  2:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

The bugzilla database we proposed earlier is now available for
use, hosted by OSDL.

http://bugme.osdl.org

Feel free to go ahead and create yourself an account, and log
bugs in there. This is only for 2.5 bugs currently, and the main
intent is to help us drive 2.5 into a timely and stable 2.6 (or 3.0).

Please let me or the supplied mailto URLs know of any problems you
encounter, but please be patient with any inital teething problems
and don't tell slashdot just yet ;-) Apologies for this not being
ready quite at Halloween ... and there's not much data in there
right  now, but we'll keep feeding it over the coming few days,
including importing Thomas Molina's list of bugs.

The categories probably need some more work, they'll evolve as
bugs get logged. The reason I own huge numbers of subsystems is
not just because I'm a derranged megalomaniac, it's more to do
with the fact that I don't have other people available with
accounts created to own them. Brave volunteers who've created an
account would be most welcome, ideally the code maintainers for
those subsystems, but other people familiar with those areas would
be a great substitute. ;-)

M.