* IPX to Netware 5.1
@ 2001-06-11 12:50 Lauri Tischler
From: Lauri Tischler @ 2001-06-11 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

I've been mounting Netware volumes from Netware 4.1x to linux for
a quite a while now, works just fine.
We installed new Netware server with Netware 5.1 and I can't now
mount any volumes.  The error message is:
  ncpmount: Unknown Server error (0x8901) in nds login
  Login denied.
The error is same if I try bindery login.
Any IPX gurus here or hints or links about ??

Cheers..
--
Lauri Tischler, Network Admin
Tel:    +358-9-47846331        *       Mouse movement detected      *

* Re: IPX to Netware 5.1
@ 2001-06-11 15:15 ` Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo
From: Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo @ 2001-06-11 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lauri Tischler; +Cc: linux-kernel

Em Mon, Jun 11, 2001 at 03:50:39PM +0300, Lauri Tischler escreveu:
> I've been mounting Netware volumes from Netware 4.1x to linux for
> a quite a while now, works just fine.
> We installed new Netware server with Netware 5.1 and I can't now
> mount any volumes.  The error message is:
>   ncpmount: Unknown Server error (0x8901) in nds login
>   Login denied.
> The error is same if I try bindery login.
> Any IPX gurus here or hints or links about ??

See if this makes sense:

http://developer.novell.com/support/sample/tids/bs98au6h/nwerrors.txt

#define ERR_INSUFFICIENT_SPACE          0x8901  /* 001 */
#define NWE_INSUFFICIENT_SPACE          0x8901  /* 001 */

And can you, just in case, check if IPX is enabled? ncpfs can work with
tcp/ip as well and this can possibly be not related to IPX

- Arnaldo

* Re: IPX to Netware 5.1
@ 2001-06-11 19:11   ` Jeff V. Merkey
From: Jeff V. Merkey @ 2001-06-11 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo, Lauri Tischler, linux-kernel; +Cc: jmerkey

On Mon, Jun 11, 2001 at 12:15:19PM -0300, Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo wrote:

The problem is related to the default NLSP (NetWare Link State Routing)
stack loaded by default on NetWare versions 5.1 >.  NLSP doesn't send
RIP/SAP all the time, and if ipx_configure is set to --auto-interface=on
--auto-primary=on, the ipx client in Linux will not set it's IPX
address until it sees some traffic.  This is usually a problem in
setups with only one server on the entire network, since the server
won't RIP/SAP right away.

Simply go to the NetWare 5.X server, and type at the console

:
:reset router
:

and this should cause the 5.1 server to send an old-style RIP/SAP frame
which will then kick on all the Linux systems.  You will notice that each
time you turn off your linux machine, you will have to type this on the
NetWare 5.x server console in order to get the server to kick out a
RIP/SAP frame and allow the Linux box to auto-detect the network address.
One way around this is to hard set the network address via ipx_configure
and the problem is less troublesome.

Jeff

> Em Mon, Jun 11, 2001 at 03:50:39PM +0300, Lauri Tischler escreveu:
> > I've been mounting Netware volumes from Netware 4.1x to linux for
> > a quite a while now, works just fine.
> > We installed new Netware server with Netware 5.1 and I can't now
> > mount any volumes.  The error message is:
> >   ncpmount: Unknown Server error (0x8901) in nds login
> >   Login denied.
> > The error is same if I try bindery login.
> > Any IPX gurus here or hints or links about ??
>
> See if this makes sense:
>
> http://developer.novell.com/support/sample/tids/bs98au6h/nwerrors.txt
>
> #define ERR_INSUFFICIENT_SPACE          0x8901  /* 001 */
> #define NWE_INSUFFICIENT_SPACE          0x8901  /* 001 */
>
> And can you, just in case, check if IPX is enabled? ncpfs can work with
> tcp/ip as well and this can possibly be not related to IPX
>
> - Arnaldo
> -

* Re: IPX to Netware 5.1
@ 2001-06-11 19:56 ` Matthew G. Marsh
From: Matthew G. Marsh @ 2001-06-11 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lauri Tischler; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Mon, 11 Jun 2001, Lauri Tischler wrote:

> I've been mounting Netware volumes from Netware 4.1x to linux for
> a quite a while now, works just fine.
> We installed new Netware server with Netware 5.1 and I can't now
> mount any volumes.  The error message is:
>   ncpmount: Unknown Server error (0x8901) in nds login
>   Login denied.

Yep. We did some testing and found that if the server has a RW replica
of the partition your user ID exists in then the NDS login will work.
Otherwise nothing works. Also if you have password restrictions such as
minumum number of characters then most users must have a password that is
exactly the minimum number of characters unless they have admin
(supervisor) priviledges. Has us baffled.

We ended up making sure that the servers we use have RW replicas and that
we use full context NDS logins.

> The error is same if I try bindery login.
> Any IPX gurus here or hints or links about ??
>
> Cheers..
> --
> Lauri Tischler, Network Admin
> Tel:    +358-9-47846331        *       Mouse movement detected      *
> Fax:    +358-9-47846500        * Reboot Windows to activate changes *
> Mobile: +358-40-5569010
> EMail:  lauri.tischler@efore.fi
>
> -

Matthew G. Marsh,  President
Paktronix Systems LLC
1506 North 59th Street
Omaha  NE  68104
Phone: (402) 932-7250 x101
Email: mgm@paktronix.com
WWW:  http://www.paktronix.com

* Re: IPX to Netware 5.1
@ 2001-06-11 23:01 ` Jeff V. Merkey
From: Jeff V. Merkey @ 2001-06-11 23:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Petr Vandrovec; +Cc: Matthew G. Marsh, linux-kernel

On Mon, Jun 11, 2001 at 10:15:50PM +0000, Petr Vandrovec wrote:
> On 11 Jun 01 at 14:56, Matthew G. Marsh wrote:
> > On Mon, 11 Jun 2001, Lauri Tischler wrote:
> >
> > > I've been mounting Netware volumes from Netware 4.1x to linux for
> > > a quite a while now, works just fine.
> > > We installed new Netware server with Netware 5.1 and I can't now
> > > mount any volumes.  The error message is:
> > >   ncpmount: Unknown Server error (0x8901) in nds login
> > >   Login denied.
> >
> > Yep. We did some testing and found that if the server has a RW replica
> > of the partition your user ID exists in then the NDS login will work.
> > Otherwise nothing works. Also if you have password restrictions such as
> > minumum number of characters then most users must have a password that is
> > exactly the minimum number of characters unless they have admin
> > (supervisor) priviledges. Has us baffled.
> >
> > We ended up making sure that the servers we use have RW replicas and that
> > we use full context NDS logins.
>
> Are you sure that you are using ncpfs-2.2.0.18? In that case try
> ncpfs-2.2.0.19.pre56 (ftp://platan.vc.cvut.cz/private/ncpfs).
>
> But RO/no replicas should not affect bindery login. Are you sure that
> you really tried bindery ncpmount (with -b option)?
>                                         Best regards,
>                                                 Petr Vandrovec
>                                                 vandrove@vc.cvut.cz

Petr,

I think they may be seeing what I am seeing with ipx config underneath.

Jeff

> -

* Re: IPX to Netware 5.1
@ 2001-06-11 22:15 Petr Vandrovec