* Re: PCMCIA control I82365 stops working with 2.4.4
@ 2001-08-01 10:40 Per Jessen
From: Per Jessen @ 2001-08-01 10:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel, linux-laptop

On Sat, 19 May 2001 20:23:03 +0100, Per Jessen wrote:

>I recently installed 2.4.4 on my toshiba tecra8100 laptop, and
>noticed that the load of the i82365 module no longer works.
>The PCIC is not detected.
>I switched back to 2.4.3, and everything works fine.

I have since moved on to 2.4.5, 2.4.6 and 2.4.7 - the i82365 is
still not being detected. Should I be talking to Toshiba about this ?
Not having the i82365 module loaded means not being able to use my
PCMCIA network card - pretty bad situation.

Also, I have WinNT installed too - when I switch between WinNT boot
Linux, unless I press RESET, my PCMCIA card is not properly recognised.
This I can live with, but it's still a bug.

Am I addressing the right mailing-list ? I'll copy this to lkml,
just in case.

regards,
Per

regards,
Per Jessen, Principal Engineer, ENIDAN Technologies Ltd
http://www.enidan.com - home of the J1 serial console.

Please note:  This message is intended for the use of the individual to
whom it is addressed and may contain information which is privileged,
confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader
of this message is not the intended, or is not the employee or agent
responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are
hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this
communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by return
email.  Thank you.

* Re: PCMCIA control I82365 stops working with 2.4.4
@ 2001-08-01 10:41 ` Russell King
From: Russell King @ 2001-08-01 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Per Jessen; +Cc: linux-kernel, linux-laptop

On Wed, Aug 01, 2001 at 12:40:01PM +0200, Per Jessen wrote:
> I have since moved on to 2.4.5, 2.4.6 and 2.4.7 - the i82365 is
> still not being detected. Should I be talking to Toshiba about this ?
> Not having the i82365 module loaded means not being able to use my
> PCMCIA network card - pretty bad situation.

Use the yenta module instead of the i82365 module.

--
Russell King (rmk@arm.linux.org.uk)                The developer of ARM Linux

* Re: PCMCIA control I82365 stops working with 2.4.4
@ 2001-08-01 19:16   ` Jussi Laako
From: Jussi Laako @ 2001-08-01 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Russell King; +Cc: Per Jessen, linux-kernel, linux-laptop

Russell King wrote:

> Use the yenta module instead of the i82365 module.

Kills (deadlocks) my Toshiba Satellite when loaded as module (complains
about missing interrupts). When built into kernel it just complains but
doesn't lockup the machine.

Older kernels/pcmcia-cs i82365 was working fine. (2.2.x and early 2.4.x)

I should have stayed with RedHat 6.2, but I wanted journaling filesystem...

Maybe I'm doing something wrong but dunno what.

 - Jussi Laako

--
PGP key fingerprint: 161D 6FED 6A92 39E2 EB5B  39DD A4DE 63EB C216 1E4B
Available at PGP keyservers

* Re: PCMCIA control I82365 stops working with 2.4.4
@ 2001-08-01 19:24     ` Russell King
From: Russell King @ 2001-08-01 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jussi Laako; +Cc: Per Jessen, linux-kernel, linux-laptop

On Wed, Aug 01, 2001 at 10:16:11PM +0300, Jussi Laako wrote:
> Kills (deadlocks) my Toshiba Satellite when loaded as module (complains
> about missing interrupts). When built into kernel it just complains but
> doesn't lockup the machine.
>
> Older kernels/pcmcia-cs i82365 was working fine. (2.2.x and early 2.4.x)

Hmm, I'm not an x86 expert, so I'll have to leave you here.  What I do know
is that yenta is for PCI-based PCMCIA controllers with CardBus support.
i82365 is for ISA PCMCIA controllers only.

--

@ 2001-08-01 19:42     ` bvermeul
From: bvermeul @ 2001-08-01 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jussi Laako; +Cc: Russell King, Per Jessen, linux-kernel, linux-laptop

On Wed, 1 Aug 2001, Jussi Laako wrote:

> Russell King wrote:
> >
> > Use the yenta module instead of the i82365 module.
>
> Kills (deadlocks) my Toshiba Satellite when loaded as module (complains
> about missing interrupts). When built into kernel it just complains but
> doesn't lockup the machine.
>
> Older kernels/pcmcia-cs i82365 was working fine. (2.2.x and early 2.4.x)
>
> I should have stayed with RedHat 6.2, but I wanted journaling filesystem...
>
> Maybe I'm doing something wrong but dunno what.

Try going to your bios and setting the PCMCIA adapter to Cardbus/16bit
instead of Auto. The Toshiba Topic chipsets are buggy, change their PCI
identifiers with different bios settings, and are just a plain pain in the
ass to get working. Then use the yenta driver (preferrably in kernel), and
I think you will find it works now. :)

Bas Vermeulen, who has had some bad experiences with Toshiba laptops. And
it's impossible to get specs for em too.

--
"God, root, what is difference?"
	-- Pitr, User Friendly

"God is more forgiving."
	-- Dave Aronson

* Re: PCMCIA control I82365 stops working with 2.4.4
@ 2001-08-03 22:54       ` Jussi Laako
From: Jussi Laako @ 2001-08-03 22:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Russell King; +Cc: Per Jessen, linux-kernel, linux-laptop

Russell King wrote:

> Hmm, I'm not an x86 expert, so I'll have to leave you here.  What I do
> know is that yenta is for PCI-based PCMCIA controllers with CardBus
> support. i82365 is for ISA PCMCIA controllers only.

The machine has CardBus (at least CB-logo beside slots). It's Toshiba
Satellite 300CDS.

 - Jussi Laako

--- 8< ---
00:00.0 Host bridge: Toshiba America Info Systems 601 (rev 2c)
00:04.0 VGA compatible controller: Chips and Technologies F65555 HiQVPro
(rev c6)
00:0b.0 USB Controller: NEC Corporation USB (rev 02)
00:11.0 Communication controller: Toshiba America Info Systems FIR Port (rev
21)
00:13.0 CardBus bridge: Toshiba America Info Systems ToPIC97 (rev 20)
00:13.1 CardBus bridge: Toshiba America Info Systems ToPIC97 (rev 20)
--- 8< ---

--

@ 2001-08-03 23:03       ` Jussi Laako
From: Jussi Laako @ 2001-08-03 23:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bvermeul; +Cc: Russell King, Per Jessen, linux-kernel, linux-laptop

bvermeul@devel.blackstar.nl wrote:

> Try going to your bios and setting the PCMCIA adapter to Cardbus/16bit
> instead of Auto. The Toshiba Topic chipsets are buggy, change their PCI

Dunno how to change those. The machine had just windows based setup program.

> identifiers with different bios settings, and are just a plain pain in
> the ass to get working. Then use the yenta driver (preferrably in
> kernel), and I think you will find it works now. :)

I wonder why it stopped working, because it was working just fine until
lately. I don't care if it's CardBus or old ISA-based PCMCIA because it
makes no difference as long as it works. I've been using it for years with
Linux and FreeBSD.

> Bas Vermeulen, who has had some bad experiences with Toshiba laptops. And
> it's impossible to get specs for em too.

Btw. is there any completely working laptop? I've got lot of problems with
Dell and IBM laptops. I've really started to hate all this mobile stuff that
never works...

Best regards,

	- Jussi Laako

--

@ 2001-08-04  9:25         ` bvermeul
From: bvermeul @ 2001-08-04  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jussi Laako; +Cc: Russell King, Per Jessen, linux-kernel, linux-laptop

On Sat, 4 Aug 2001, Jussi Laako wrote:

> bvermeul@devel.blackstar.nl wrote:
> >
> > Try going to your bios and setting the PCMCIA adapter to Cardbus/16bit
> > instead of Auto. The Toshiba Topic chipsets are buggy, change their PCI
>
> Dunno how to change those. The machine had just windows based setup program.

Press Esc when the laptop boots. It'll tell you you did something stupid,
and please press F1 to enter setup.

> > identifiers with different bios settings, and are just a plain pain in
> > the ass to get working. Then use the yenta driver (preferrably in
> > kernel), and I think you will find it works now. :)
>
> I wonder why it stopped working, because it was working just fine until
> lately. I don't care if it's CardBus or old ISA-based PCMCIA because it
> makes no difference as long as it works. I've been using it for years with
> Linux and FreeBSD.

Dunno why it stopped working.

> > Bas Vermeulen, who has had some bad experiences with Toshiba laptops. And
> > it's impossible to get specs for em too.
>
> Btw. is there any completely working laptop? I've got lot of problems with
> Dell and IBM laptops. I've really started to hate all this mobile stuff that
> never works...

My Dell Inspiron 8000 (Ati video chipset) works flawlessly for me. Got
everything working like it should.

Bas Vermeulen

--
"God, root, what is difference?"
	-- Pitr, User Friendly

"God is more forgiving."
	-- Dave Aronson

* Re: PCMCIA control I82365 stops working with 2.4.4
@ 2001-08-05 18:36           ` Jussi Laako
From: Jussi Laako @ 2001-08-05 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bvermeul; +Cc: Russell King, Per Jessen, linux-kernel, linux-laptop

bvermeul@devel.blackstar.nl wrote:

> > > Try going to your bios and setting the PCMCIA adapter to
> > > Cardbus/16bit instead of Auto. The Toshiba Topic chipsets are buggy,
> > Dunno how to change those. The machine had just windows based setup
> > program.
> Press Esc when the laptop boots. It'll tell you you did something stupid,
> and please press F1 to enter setup.

OK, I changed that and now it works fine. :)

> My Dell Inspiron 8000 (Ati video chipset) works flawlessly for me. Got
> everything working like it should.

IrDA also?

 - Jussi Laako

--

@ 2001-08-05 18:59             ` bvermeul
From: bvermeul @ 2001-08-05 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jussi Laako; +Cc: Russell King, Per Jessen, linux-kernel, linux-laptop

On Sun, 5 Aug 2001, Jussi Laako wrote:

> > > Dunno how to change those. The machine had just windows based setup
> > > program.
> > Press Esc when the laptop boots. It'll tell you you did something stupid,
> > and please press F1 to enter setup.
>
> OK, I changed that and now it works fine. :)
>
> > My Dell Inspiron 8000 (Ati video chipset) works flawlessly for me. Got
> > everything working like it should.
>
> IrDA also?

Yup, works as well... Haven't been using it much, but it works... :)

Bas Vermeulen

--
"God, root, what is difference?"
	-- Pitr, User Friendly

"God is more forgiving."
	-- Dave Aronson

* Re: PCMCIA control I82365 stops working with 2.4.4
@ 2001-08-06 11:39         ` Jamie Lokier
From: Jamie Lokier @ 2001-08-06 11:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jussi Laako; +Cc: Russell King, Per Jessen, linux-kernel, linux-laptop

Jussi Laako wrote:
> > Hmm, I'm not an x86 expert, so I'll have to leave you here.  What I do
> > know is that yenta is for PCI-based PCMCIA controllers with CardBus
> > support. i82365 is for ISA PCMCIA controllers only.
>
> The machine has CardBus (at least CB-logo beside slots). It's Toshiba
> Satellite 300CDS.

Data point: I'm using the yenta_socket, pcnet_cs and 8390 modules on my
Toshiba 4070CDT with no problems, except that DHCP discovery doesn't
find an IP address for quite a while after I plug the card in.

enjoy,
-- Jamie