* ALi USB Problems..similar to VIA ones?
@ 2001-08-29  5:31 John Clemens
From: John Clemens @ 2001-08-29  5:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi,

I already reported this to the usb list, but noone there seemed to know
anything.  And given recent similar things mentioned on this list
recently, I figured I'd try posting here.

I've got an HP laptop with the ALi Magik1 (1647) chipset in it, and an
OCHI USB controller (standard ALi 1535 southbridge).  Under Windows, USB
works ok, but 'cuts out' for about 3-5 seconds every minute or so, as if
it's resetting itself.  This seems eeriely similar to the VIA UHCI
problems reported last week on this list, even though i know OHCI and UHCI
should be nothing alike.

Under Linux, both my USB joystick and my USB keyboard fail, and it appears
that interrupts aren't getting through (/proc/interrupts shows 1
interrupt, no matter how many times i plug and unplug things in and get
URB timeouts).  This is a notebook, and the usb interrupt is shared with
acpi. (irq 9).

System information can be found at
http://www.deater.net/john/PavilionN5430.html, with links to dmesg, lspci,
and other information at the bottom of the page.  I would appreciate any
help in tracking this one down.  I've tried kernels 2.4.5-2.4.9, and I'm
willing to test or write any patches.

john.c

--
John Clemens          http://www.deater.net/john
john@deater.net     ICQ: 7175925, IM: PianoManO8

* Re: ALi USB Problems..similar to VIA ones?
@ 2001-08-29 21:17 ` John Clemens
From: John Clemens @ 2001-08-29 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Whoops, forgot to add the kernel output when you plug something in.

kernel 2.4.9, USB device is a generic USB keyboard.

hub.c: USB new device connect on bus1/1, assigned device number 2
usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout
usb-ohci.c: UNLINK URB:[89aa] dev: 0,ep: 0-O,type:CTRL,flags:
0,len:0/0,stat:-115(ffffff8d)
usb-ohci.c: unlink URB timeout
usb.c: USB device not accepting new address=2 (error=-110)
hub.c: USB new device connect on bus1/1, assigned device number 3
usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout
usb-ohci.c: UNLINK URB:[9aa9] dev: 0,ep: 0-O,type:CTRL,flags:
0,len:0/0,stat:-115(ffffff8d)
usb-ohci.c: unlink URB timeout
usb.c: USB device not accepting new address=3 (error=-110)

and proc interrupts looks like:

           CPU0
  0:   17550170          XT-PIC  timer
  1:     119155          XT-PIC  keyboard
  2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
  8:          1          XT-PIC  rtc
  9:          1          XT-PIC  acpi, usb-ohci
 11:     301788          XT-PIC  Texas Instruments PCI1420, Texas
Instruments PCI1420 (#2), eth0
 12:     371142          XT-PIC  PS/2 Mouse
 14:      94279          XT-PIC  ide0
 15:          2          XT-PIC  ide1
NMI:          0
ERR:          0