* CCISS driver and disk failure...
@ 2003-02-04 21:53 David Brown
From: David Brown @ 2003-02-04 21:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi:

Does anyone know of an easy way to get messages (via syslog or
otherwise) when a member disk of a CCISS SMART-2 raid array fails?
Grepping through drivers/block/cciss.c didn't yield any obvious
printk's. My gut feeling is that one could get the disk failure
information through one of the CCISS_PASSTHRU ioctls(); I saw some
reference to a similar call in code for monitoring the cpqarray
driver.

HP appears to have some sort of management suite, but it appears to
require X11 server-side, which isn't an option on this machine.

Is there an easy way to get disk failure information from the CCISS
driver, or should I continue relying on the pretty LEDs? :)

Thanks in advance,

- Dave

* Re: CCISS driver and disk failure...
@ 2003-02-06  2:09 ` Matt C
From: Matt C @ 2003-02-06  2:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi David-

The only way we're able to do this on proliants is to use the *hack*
closed-source HP kernel modules cpqasm and cpqevt. We then run their 30+
userspace daemons that monitor the system via these 2 kernel modules. Slap
their hacked up ucd-snmpd on top of that and you get disk status
monitoring via SNMP on the machine.

On a redhat machine, that's the following RPMs from HP:
cmafdtn
cmanic
cmastor
cmasvr
cpqhealth
ucd-snmp (from HP, of course)

It's a nasty mess, though, so if the cciss author had the time to put disk
fail logging into the driver, that'd be amazingly cool.

-Matt

@ 2003-02-06 23:15   ` Matt C
From: Matt C @ 2003-02-06 23:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi David-

I noticed that the disk array component of this stuff actually does not
require the kernel modules, which is good news. So, you should be able to
install the 'cmafdtn', 'cmastor', 'cpqhealth' and 'ucd-snmp' RPMs from
compaq and monitor your drives via SNMP without using their darn kernel
modules. I assume that it's communicating with the array via the cciss
driver in some way.

Hope this helps.

-Matt