* 2.6.x breaks some Berkeley/Sleepycat DB functionality
@ 2004-01-12 17:16 Dan Egli
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Dan Egli @ 2004-01-12 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

* Re: 2.6.x breaks some Berkeley/Sleepycat DB functionality
@ 2004-01-12 17:24 ` Arjan van de Ven
From: Arjan van de Ven @ 2004-01-12 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Egli; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Mon, 2004-01-12 at 18:16, Dan Egli wrote:

> I have encountered a strange issue in 2.6.0 and 2.6.1
>
> I run a PGP Public key server on this machine and under 2.4.x it's
> "smooth as silk". But if I boot under 2.6.x, it's gaurenteed failure. If
> I try to build a database using the build command (this is an sks
> server, so it's sks build or sks fastbuild) I IMMEDIATELY get  Bdb
> error. But the exact same command with the exact same libraries and
> input files under 2.4.20 works without a hitch.
>
> Anyone got any ideas? Anything else I can provide to assist in debugging?

this might be the same issue that hit some rpm versions; some versions
of db4 seem to detect the O_DIRECT header presence and starts using
O_DIRECT, without honoring the alignment requirements linux puts on
O_DIRECT usage...

* Re: 2.6.x breaks some Berkeley/Sleepycat DB functionality
@ 2004-01-12 17:25 ` Valdis.Kletnieks
From: Valdis.Kletnieks @ 2004-01-12 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Egli; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 10:16:12 MST, Dan Egli <dan@eglifamily.dnsalias.net>  said:

> I run a PGP Public key server on this machine and under 2.4.x it's
> "smooth as silk". But if I boot under 2.6.x, it's gaurenteed failure. If
> I try to build a database using the build command (this is an sks
> server, so it's sks build or sks fastbuild) I IMMEDIATELY get  Bdb
> error. But the exact same command with the exact same libraries and
> input files under 2.4.20 works without a hitch.
>
> Anyone got any ideas? Anything else I can provide to assist in debugging?

Off the top of my head, O_DIRECT horkage?  I believe that 2.6 has more
stringent buffer alignment requirements.  A quick 'strace' would probably show
if that's the problem.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 226 bytes --]

* Re: 2.6.x breaks some Berkeley/Sleepycat DB functionality
@ 2004-01-13  9:53 ` Nikita Danilov
From: Nikita Danilov @ 2004-01-13  9:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Egli
  Cc: linux-kernel,
	ОлегДрокин

Dan Egli writes:

 > I have encountered a strange issue in 2.6.0 and 2.6.1
 >
 > I run a PGP Public key server on this machine and under 2.4.x it's
 > "smooth as silk". But if I boot under 2.6.x, it's gaurenteed failure. If
 > I try to build a database using the build command (this is an sks
 > server, so it's sks build or sks fastbuild) I IMMEDIATELY get  Bdb
 > error. But the exact same command with the exact same libraries and
 > input files under 2.4.20 works without a hitch.
 >
 > Anyone got any ideas? Anything else I can provide to assist in debugging?

On top of what file system berkdb is created? I have a reminiscence that
Sleepy Cat used to have a problem with reiserfs, due to large
stat->st_blksize value. Oleg do you remember this?

 > - --- Dan

Nikita.

* Re: 2.6.x breaks some Berkeley/Sleepycat DB functionality
@ 2004-01-13 10:10   ` Oleg Drokin
From: Oleg Drokin @ 2004-01-13 10:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nikita Danilov; +Cc: Dan Egli, linux-kernel

Hello!

On Tue, Jan 13, 2004 at 12:53:16PM +0300, Nikita Danilov wrote:
>  > I run a PGP Public key server on this machine and under 2.4.x it's
>  > "smooth as silk". But if I boot under 2.6.x, it's gaurenteed failure. If
>  > I try to build a database using the build command (this is an sks
>  > server, so it's sks build or sks fastbuild) I IMMEDIATELY get  Bdb
>  > error. But the exact same command with the exact same libraries and
>  > input files under 2.4.20 works without a hitch.
>  > Anyone got any ideas? Anything else I can provide to assist in debugging?
> On top of what file system berkdb is created? I have a reminiscence that
> Sleepy Cat used to have a problem with reiserfs, due to large
> stat->st_blksize value. Oleg do you remember this?

No, that problem was different. And it was believed that BErkeley DB might just
be performing a bit slower on reiserfs, though I never was able to reproduce and
Sleepycat's code contains it own limit on maximal block size (it uses 16k
blocksize if on suggested by FS is bigger that 16k).
Definitely there were no crashes.

Bye,
    Oleg

* Re: 2.6.x breaks some Berkeley/Sleepycat DB functionality
@ 2004-01-13 17:14   ` dan
From: dan @ 2004-01-13 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nikita Danilov
  Cc: linux-kernel,
	ОлегДрокин

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004, Nikita Danilov wrote:

> On top of what file system berkdb is created? I have a reminiscence that
> Sleepy Cat used to have a problem with reiserfs, due to large
> stat->st_blksize value. Oleg do you remember this?

ext3