* kernel 2.6.0-test1 refuses to boot on a PC with AMD Athlon XP 1800+
@ 2003-07-25  6:55 Manjunathan Padua Yellappan
From: Manjunathan Padua Yellappan @ 2003-07-25  6:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel; +Cc: manjunathan_py

Hi Folks,

I compiled the latest version of the kernel
2.6.0-test1.

I was able to successfully build the bzImage , but I
am not able to boot using this new kernel.
My Machine just stops after displaying the following

    "Uncompressing Linux... Ok, booting the kernel "

Nothing happens after this message, it just hangs

Please assist me in solving this, I am very keen on to
testing this kernel.

Configuration of my machine :
CPU  AMD Athlon 1800+ XP
Motherboard ASUS KT266
RAM  256MB
HDD  20GB
with ATI Rage128 AGP card

Thanks in advance.
Manjunathan Padua Y

Note: Please cc your responses to this email id.

http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com

* Re: kernel 2.6.0-test1 refuses to boot on a PC with AMD Athlon XP 1800+ (another one)
@ 2003-08-01 19:53 Pierre Letouzey
From: Pierre Letouzey @ 2003-08-01 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hello all

For the impatients: you may want to try kernel option "video=vga16:off"

I have also suffered this blank screen probleme after
"Uncompressing Linux... Ok, booting the kernel "
on a Compaq Evo N800c laptop.

After tests and checkings I am pretty sure that in my case:

* It was not related to the misconfiguration issue mentionned in
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk/post-halloween-2.5.txt
Yes, my config file contained:
CONFIG_VT=y
CONFIG_VT_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_VGA_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_INPUT=y

* It was not related with the processor type in .config, as suggested by
Herbert Potzl on this list.

I found this "video=vga16:off" solution by chance after heavy mail-list
archive browsing. I do not really understand what this tricks does, but it
certainly makes my laptop boot ok (in old text console, but I don't care).
Seems like something broken concerning my radeon and console graphics in
2.6. I will do some more testing before submitting a proper bug-report.

Hope that this can help some of you...

Pierre Letouzey

Details of my hardware:
 Compaq Evo N800c
 CPU P-IV (M) 1,8Go
 Chipset Intel 82845
 ATI Technologies Inc Radeon Mobility M7 LW [Radeon Mobility 7500]
 RAM 775 MB
 HDD 30 GB